The Dee-Gees

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited July 2021 in Music
I'm sure this is intended as a joke, but I'm losing my mind at how horribly BAD this is and how people think it's awesome.  Foo Fighters do wedding band caliber covers of Bee-Gees classics .... No Thanks!

Danswift

Comments

• yikes, I had not heard of this. mega vanity project vibe coming off this. why are you doing this dave. you have a successful band that is unfortunately incapable of making this not suck.

everybody in the comments just seems delighted they're doing it, but I think normally if a huge star artist does a cover they make sure, for the sake of their reputation as artists, that it doesn't suck. it's this tongue in cheek car-karaoke-style half assedness that annoys me. like it doesn't have to be good or real in any way because it's funny to see dave grohl, you know, from nirvana, doing disco!
    RAJDanswift

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    I have never knowingly heard a Foo Fighter song. Not sure whether I missed something but this one has not made me curious to check them out. 
    Initially, I was going to say that these are the most pointless cover versions, but then I realised that if I ever have to explain the difference between a 1, 3 beat and a 2, 4 beat, I might play the original Night Fever and then this. 

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Yemskyketan

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Bee Gees were bottom of the the barrel disco to begin with. 

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

You're right, they have some great songs, but they were pop more than disco.

I'm sure this is intended as a joke, but I'm losing my mind at how horribly BAD this is and how people think it's awesome. 

Yeah, it's terrible.  Why bother?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    This is how it's done:

Fuck those clowns, "wedding band" hits it right on the head. I first saw Scream and then a few years later Nirvana for a bunch of times before they went mainstream cause they played support for bands I wanted to see. Laughable posers all of them. Never listened to any of that foo fighters alterno pop garbage and wouldn't be able to name a single song if my life depended on it. Some things are better ignored so you don't even have to forget them.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts

ketan said:

You're right, they have some great songs, but they were pop more than disco.

I never had any clue about disco before I went to West Africa and I always hated the Bee Gees with a passion. But some small part deep inside of me appreciated the songwriting and slightly unsettling but weirdly comforting emotionality emanating from some of their songs and this was more than just a guilty pleasure. Call me whatever you want but in a strange way the Bee Gees are deep to me. I honestly believe they had way more soul than all nirvana related output combined.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Frank said:

Call me whatever you want but in a strange way the Bee Gees are deep to me. 

How Deep Is Your Love is deep.

Jimster

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Paging Steve Dahl...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    ketan said:
    Frank said:

The melodies in that are all killer.  Verses, chorus, bridge, all could make other different hits on their own.  Maybe being old enough to hear it in it's original context spreads rose-coloured marmalade all over it for me, but Night Fever has bangers.

I have checked out others from their catalogue but my boat remained unfloated.

And I'm saying Maurice was the one with the most taste.  Apart from the balding mullet / chesthair combo.  Gotta have been the marching powder, right? 

Frank

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Jimster said:
    ketan said:
    Frank said:

The melodies in that are all killer.  Verses, chorus, bridge, all could make other different hits on their own.  Maybe being old enough to hear it in it's original context spreads rose-coloured marmalade all over it for me, but Night Fever has bangers.

I have checked out others from their catalogue but my boat remained unfloated.

And I'm saying Maurice was the one with the most taste.  Apart from the balding mullet / chesthair combo.  Gotta have been the marching powder, right? 

I only smoked the black stuff for a week some years back but from the Bee Gees I'm getting much  more of a relaxed and dreamy heroin vibe than cocaine fueled mania.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Actually, I'm pretty sure even when it comes to drugs the Bee Gees piss all over those fools

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    I ride for the beegees and nirvana. Best believe I’m singing along during the parts of the songs where I know the words sort of. 

Here I am
    waiting for this moment to last
    muh mug mug mug mug mast
    du du du….eeehhhhst
    night fever night fever….
    nununu do it
    nenenenenenehhhhhh

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    I just spent an unjustifiable amount of time on YouTube trying to find a good or at least an interesting cover version of Night Fever.
    Is there such a thing?
    It surely isn’t this one:
    https://youtu.be/OStuTld9dZ0

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I have a 45 of Los Joao's version somewhere. I remember it being at the least a decent cover.