2021 RIP Thread

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    All of the tributes and videos people have been sharing everywhere of Shock G have been great. He had so much talent.
    DOR

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    Yeah my friend had the tape and claimed there were like three extra tracks on it compared to the CD! I was in no position to be buying recordings called Sex Packets at that age so took it on trust he wasn't bullshitting. Wiki tells me there were four cassette-only tracks.

well fucking hell man, ha ha ha...i am dense as fuck. there ARE four tracks missing off the album i have, i just checked and realized its been forever since i listened to the cassette and miss those "other: missing tracks there all so dope, i guess in this case, the cassette verse is the best to have, missing in action are:

Hiphop Doll

Gutfest 89

Sound of the underground

A Tribute To The Early Days

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    RIP Cassiano

dead of covid and of living in Brazil in 2021

klezmer electro-thug beatsElectrodeDuderonomyFrankRAJ

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    rip Tawny Kitaen

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    This was my underrated DU joint in the club mix days. Always packed the floor equal to HD. RIP SG

RAJ

• Oh man that extremely weird Dan Aykroyd movie, I forgot that song was from that till I saw those insane troll guys in the video. 1991 was weird

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Oh man that extremely weird Dan Aykroyd movie, I forgot that song was from that till I saw those insane troll guys in the video. 1991 was weird

I remember Nothing But Trouble well... when Shock G died I showed my wife that video and she hadn't seen the movie and was like, whaaaaaaaa?   I convinced her that that she HAD TO watch it, so I'll let you know how it aged...

ketan said:
    Oh man that extremely weird Dan Aykroyd movie, I forgot that song was from that till I saw those insane troll guys in the video. 1991 was weird

I remember Nothing But Trouble well... when Shock G died I showed my wife that video and she hadn't seen the movie and was like, whaaaaaaaa?   I convinced her that that she HAD TO watch it, so I'll let you know how it aged...

I saw Nothing But Trouble in the theaters!  The beginning of the end for Chevy Chase.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Gift Of The Gab RIP

Goddamn.

• Damn I knew he was having health issues but was confident he'd pull through. His cut with AFRO and RA took me back to the Blackalicious golden days and that wasn't that long ago... RIP.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    ketan said:
    RIP Biz

"Hip hop icon Biz Markie 'alive and in hospice care'... after reports he'd passed away at 57-years-old"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-9744147/Hip-hop-icon-Biz-Markie-alive-hospice-care-reports-hed-passed-away-57-years-old.html

Duderonomy

My bad!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Doesn't sound great for The Biz.  Hope he can turn it around, looks like he'd lost some timber recently which might give him a better chance - Either way, one of the biggest characters to ever do it.

I think of the Sade forehead-palming regularly.
    Duderonomy

ketan said:
    My bad!

It was posted in the news and then spread like wildfire before the family got word out that it wasn't true. We all love Biz and everyone wanted to pay their respects immediately so it's understandable. I almost shared it myself until I saw a tweet about 30 minutes after the "news" broke.

I think I heard it from Angela Yee or some other NYC radio staple and assumed it would be vetted.  Sending good vibes to Biz today.
    Duderonomy

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Is it official?

One of the greatest to ever do it. Rest In Peace Biz. 

We should really do a full thread for the man. Damn, maybe turn the strut into the Biz for a month of mourning. 
    RAJDuderonomy

DOR said:
    Is it official?

One of the greatest to ever do it. Rest In Peace Biz. 

We should really do a full thread for the man. Damn, maybe turn the strut into the Biz for a month of mourning. 

RIP Biz.

This thread was a one of the best from back in the day.

DORdukeofdelridgeDuderonomy

RIP to a legend
    Duderonomy

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    He paved the way. But I'm disappointed at the news parroting the same "'Just A Friend' guy!" headlines.
    dizzybull

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Electrode said:
    He paved the way. But I'm disappointed at the news parroting the same "'Just A Friend' guy!" headlines.

I hear ya but at the same time that is how most people know him I guess. 

RIP Dusty Hill from ZZ Top 

Duderonomy

billbradleyJimsterDuderonomy

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Dennis "D.T" Thomas, original member of Kool & The Gang.

Norm McDonald died of cancer. He was 61. 

dizzybull said:
    Norm McDonald died of cancer. He was 61. 

It was a draw.  I'm going to miss him...

Melvin Van Peebles, 89. 

I was sad about Melvin - Sweet Sweetback's... was a big paradigm shift for me as a film-obsessed teen who thought watching old hollywood films was edgy.

Pee-Wee Ellis tho - again, as a teen, I grabbed that Star Time box from the BMG club for nothing and have many of his arrangements imprinted as a result.  I'm now trying to remember instances of James yelling at him on record...

• dizzybull said:
    Melvin Van Peebles, 89. 

Not a lot of really real ones in movies, he was one

RIP Record Dealer FunkYou!

https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/olivette-mo/jason-koenig-10379451

I didn't know him but he had some LEGENDARY ebay auctions.  

• minimini 879 Posts
    R.I.P. Jim Pembroke (Blues Section, Wigwam)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gL7AqYop2a4