sleeves that have been written on

bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
now im strictly *littledude* in the scheme of collecting- but i'd be interested to know what you opinion is on named/marked sleeves.I love them- peoples names, happy birthday messages, phone numbers, sesame street records coloured in by kids.I like the implyed sentimental/historical meaning. Either it was something special to someone, or became an incidental object when they needed to jot something down. Speaks volumes about the role music plays in peoples lives.I just can't imagine anyone doing that with a CD booklet- perhaps because of the plastic shell?

Comments

• I have a really dope one that I need to dig out since my move. From the late 70s or early 80s..a white sleeve with a hand drawn playboy bunny,a saint character(ala stayhigh 149) and some old school NYC handstyles

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I bought a jazz collection from a guy who had developed mental problems in his 50s. He wrote things all over the covers. My favourite is "I am my phone call" (in english, tough we speak spanish).

• I have a really dope one that I need to dig out since my move. From the late 70s or early 80s..a white sleeve with a hand drawn playboy bunny,a saint character(ala stayhigh 149) and some old school NYC handstyles

plaese to post scan- that sounds dope!

• My example is a bit beyond "sleeves that have been written on". Here's a sleeve that's entirely homemade. Apparantly the guy who owned the record lost the sleeve and made a new one himself. Now I have this sleeve, but there's no record anymore. So for $5 I became (perhaps) the world's first owner of a handmade sleeve of a lost record without a sleeve.

• ZeusZeus 162 Posts
    My example is a bit beyond "sleeves that have been written on". Here's a sleeve that's entirely homemade. Apparantly the guy who owned the record lost the sleeve and made a new one himself. Now I have this sleeve, but there's no record anymore. So for $5 I became (perhaps) the world's first owner of a handmade sleeve of a lost record without a sleeve.

That is some ill ish for a handmade album cover.

I bought a jazz collection from a guy who had developed mental problems in his 50s. He wrote things all over the covers. My favourite is "I am my phone call" (in english, tough we speak spanish).

Fight Club anyone...?

• This is secondhand, but still...

Dude brings in some LPs to sell for some cash.

One of the records is a Jimmy Buffett album.

Across the front cover in big black marker it reads: YOUR DOG SHIT ON THE COUCH AGAIN[/b]

Pissed roomie couldn't find anything but dude's Buffett album to leave a most unfortunate scatological note?

Forward a few years later and dog-owner must now face the music AGAIN with baked record store employee.

Kills me everytime.

• Options
    I have Tubby's Hi Fi handwritten on about 10 blanks (I got off his friend). They're tres

K.