Barry White vs Al Green

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
The older I get the more I like Al Green over Barry White. Barry's songs all start to sound one note over time while Al's songs have a little more progression to the composition. Its not that I dislike Barry but I don't appreciate his songs as much as I used to. 

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Musically Green for me. But something about White's overall presence is amazing to me.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Bazza White would kill Green. I predict a KO in the first round. Dude was laaaarge.

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Al green, easy!

Barry White’s real name: Barrence Eugene Carter

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Al Green wouldn't win as many titles but I like the way he fights.  I mean Barry's catalogue is stronger and his musical chops are deap, and every shot is a haymaker.  But Al Green can punch you in the soul.

However, Barrence is a strong name.

But not D'Artagnan Rasberry strong.

ketanDuderonomy

• Vocally and lyrically Al Green beats Bazza.

But all the Willie Mitchell produced records sound exactly the same, you only need a couple in the quiver. 

Barry White also has a signature orchestral soul / disco sound but it's more varied so I'm more likely to play one of his records or productions these days. 

Barry wins by a points decision. 

JimsterketanDuderonomy

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I wasn't actually seeing this comparison at first, but it's pretty interesting!  Making me realize that, even though these are both some of the first soul/r&B cats I fell in love with as a teenager, I haven't ever gone through their entire catalogues (at least 70s stuff) - they both put out so much material during that period.  Poast your deep cuts!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Al's debut record

ketan

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    raer

raer

Weirdly a young Barry has an old guy’s voice to my ears.

ketan said:
    I wasn't actually seeing this comparison at first, but it's pretty interesting!  Making me realize that, even though these are both some of the first soul/r&B cats I fell in love with as a teenager, I haven't ever gone through their entire catalogues (at least 70s stuff) - they both put out so much material during that period.  Poast your deep cuts!

Funny you should say that. I’ve been celebrating al green’s entire discography on Spotify this morning. 

Briefly switched to Barrance Eugene  but then switched right back. The whole “romantic” thing is just to corny for me. On discogs you can find some recording from barrance under his different names, so that’s pretty cool. Nothing blew my mind but it is neat to listen to. 

Who would win in a fight? I’m still leaning towards Al Green. 

Early to mid-70's Al was pretty fit and looked like a boxer. But getting knocked by a heavyweight like Barry has it's merits also. I'm going to go with Al though. I think he'd be able to move out of the way when Barry came after him and would put up a good fight.
    dizzybull

Al is still alive, so he’s got that going for him. 

Early to mid-70's Al was pretty fit and looked like a boxer. But getting knocked by a heavyweight like Barry has it's merits also. I'm going to go with Al though. I think he'd be able to move out of the way when Barry came after him and would put up a good fight.

Young Barry White wasn’t fat though. He was slim, broooad shouldered and the megawatt smile. At Al Green’s fighting weight I go with Barry.

dizzybull

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Al survived having boiling grits poured on him.
    Jimster

Apparently Barry survived gang life and prison. I’ll assume he’d never have been such an enthusiastic singer of love songs if he’d ever had to toss salad.
    Jimsterklezmer electro-thug beats

Al Green has God on his side.

• My rule of thumb is simple: the guy with the lower voice is probably tougher. I have learned this from the hard knock life of watching lots of movies, VHS DVD and Bluray. Also some kung fu VCDs back in the day.

Sorry to Al though as I like his songs better.
    Jimster

Apparently Barry survived gang life and prison. I’ll assume he’d never have been such an enthusiastic singer of love songs if he’d ever had to toss salad.

I guess being the tosser of the salad is a choice?  Whereas getting your salad tossed against your will is the scenario I personally would want to avoid.  Better to give than to receive, etc.

Although I wouldn't fancy the former much either.

As I remember it, tossing somebody else’s salad was... uhm, the “act”. It was compared to something else that was bleeped-out IIRC, and the guy said you can’t pretend you’re doing something else when you’re tossing salad (or maybe it was the other way round?).

Realer heads to explain the transaction?

The salad tosser is the one eating ass. The tossee is the one whose ass is being eaten. 

At least, that’s how it is in the US of A. 

• Perhaps in "soviet russia" things are different?

"Don't Bend Down For The Soap" is universal, doe.

dizzybullDuderonomy

dizzybull said:
    The salad tosser is the one eating ass. The tossee is the one whose ass is being eaten. 

Why do you hate America?

dizzybull said:

Why do you hate America?

Too much salad, not enough toss. 

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Scientists have played Barry White to whales to get them in the mood, and it works. But Green....that guy's got class, I think I lean to Green

• GivemesoulGivemesoul 146 Posts
    Al Green is a soul cfooner, while Barry White mainly a band leader who sings...Al Green gets the nod!