why is bra called bra?

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
has this been discussed before??

Comments

• Wasn't it just "brah"/brother?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    like, surfer lingo?

i used to watch a lot of surfing videos when i was a teenager so i know there's way better examples of this, but it's right at the beginning of this interview:

• I mean for sure local-types are brah this and brah that but I think it might be more of a brit-afro-caribbean rastafari influence in the case of cymande, right? Open to correction, I haven't read this anywhere or anything.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    "On the album’s second single ‘Bra’ Patterson’s guitar burbles Hendrix-like accompanied by Scipio’s Motown tinged bass. ‘Bra’, slang for ‘Brother’, reflects Cymande’s Rastafarian philosophy."

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/cymande-cult-funk-debut-golden-age-hip-hop/
    ketan

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    "rastafarian bra" does not bring up the search results you are looking for
    klezmer electro-thug beatsdizzybull

• hahahaha I'll leave that to the experts
    billbradley

"On the album’s second single ‘Bra’ Patterson’s guitar burbles Hendrix-like accompanied by Scipio’s Motown tinged bass. ‘Bra’, slang for ‘Brother’, reflects Cymande’s Rastafarian philosophy."

https://thevinylfactory.com/features/cymande-cult-funk-debut-golden-age-hip-hop/

ah, this is what i was looking for.  thanks!

/SOLVED

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    I’m not buying it. The song is just about braziers. 

The label didn’t let them call it by the original name ‘Titsling’. 

dizzybull said:
    I’m not buying it. The song is just about braziers. 

i mean, it could be!  

• like, the iron contraptions that hold a wood fire in medieval castles? I think that's a stretch

Damn. I thought that looked wrong. 

Did you know women’s panties are named after a saint?

San Pantaleone Was a martyr and the patron saint of Venice. 
    In old comedies there would be a character called Pantaloon who represented venetians and always wore funny pants. 

In the 1700s the word pantaloons came to means pants that were tied below the knee.  These were replaced by trousers, which we still call pants in the US but in the UK pants came to mean underwear. To make the word “cute” for women it became “panties”. 

So there you go. From Christian martyr to panties. 

• I'm picturing a Terminator-esque movie where somebody goes back in time and instead of killing him, just warns him of his legacy, causing him to renounce his faith and thus not be martyred or sainted. Ending with our time traveler safely back in the present, entering a Target and seeing the clothing section now referring to "butt-covers" or "genital sheaths" or something
    dizzybullketan

If somebody from the future came back and told me that in hundreds of years women’s underwear will bear my name I would be nervous. Either I am remembered as a badass (gary got in so many women’s panties they started calling them Garys) or something terrible (gary was so soft and delicate that women’s underwear bears his name). 
    ketan

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    My favorite song about women's undergarments:

dizzybull

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Mmm - weirdly, for some reason I always assumed it meant 'good' as it does in Swedish. Cymande were  British - so there could be a scando britiish isle origin thing going on. 

Scottish National Dictionary (1700–)

Hide Quotations Hide Etymology Cite this entry

BRAW, Bra', Braa, Bragh, adj. and adv. Cf. also Brave. [brɑ: + a: I.Sc., n.Sc.; br: em.Sc., wm.Sc.; brɒ: sm.Sc., s.Sc.]

1. adj.

(1) (a) Of things: fine, splendid, illustrious; also used ironically. Gen.Sc. Sc. 1816 Scott B. Dwarf x.:
    And I'll tell ye, grannie, it's needless to sit rhyming ower the stile of a' your kith, kin, and allies, as if there was a charm in their braw names to do us good.

Then again:
    “Bra” is Jamaican slang for “brother,” according to the Dictionary of Jamaican English. It was first recorded in that form in 1943, which of course means that it could have been widespread in Jamaican slang by 1967-1968. Interestingly enough, “bra” is a shortened form of the Jamaican slang “bro'er” from 1907

Double play on words?