Hey 19, That's 'Reetha Franklin (sort of)

CRABFUNKCRABFUNK 33 Posts
edited March 2021 in Strut Central
Looks super shabby. Can anyone name one biopic of a musician that actually works?

Comments

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Straight outta Compton?
    great balls of fire?
    Jimster

• CRABFUNKCRABFUNK 33 Posts
    I guess Dennis Quaid was pretty good as Jerry Lee. The whole genre is sort of cursed.

Ok, I got one I think:

I remember Ray being pretty good

theyre all formulaic because fame always works the same way. Young talented dreamer suddenly makes it, life is good, the pressure of fame eventually takes its toll, artist eventually finds peace or dies tragically. 

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    "Ray" was excellent. "Amadeus" was the first musical biopic I have seen. My junior high music teacher who screened it for the after school program on a rainy day told us, "it's all bullshit, but I hope you've learned something!". I've recently seen "Bird". Next up is "Round Midnight" and "Elis".
    Jimster

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Electrode said:
    "Ray" was excellent. "Amadeus" was the first musical biopic I have seen. My junior high music teacher who screened it for the after school program on a rainy day told us, "it's all bullshit, but I hope you've learned something!". I've recently seen "Bird". Next up is "Round Midnight" and "Elis".

They are all great. 

"Round Midnight" was kind of a twist on the Bud Powell story, IIRC, but with Dexter Gordon playing a sax player - no stretch for Dex on that musical front - but he absolutely smashed the acting.  Or was it even acting?

My first thought about the Aretha was... Talking about fucking respect...  IT'S TOO SOON?  

I mean, she's barely cold.

The queen movie was good too. 
    Amadeus is incredible bio-fiction. 
    Immortal Beloved I haven’t seen in a long time but I remember thinking it wasn’t bad. 

Hoping we have satisfied crabfunk’s initial inquiry on some good ones. 

A list of the terrible ones would also be fun. Or at the very least the ones that are just meh. 

I saw a biggie smalls one that was more of a TV special than a real movie. I don’t remember the name. 

Isn’t there a james brown one?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    dizzybull said:
    Isn’t there a james brown one?

Yeah, a few years ago, starring chadwick boseman too.  it got good reviews at the time but I'm just not sure I want to watch it.  Anyone check it?

No chance I'm watching this:

• Amadeus was one of my mom's favorite movies of all time - she'd quote the "too many notes" line as a phrase to mean not liking something that you couldn't find anything logical to criticize about it. That is an all timer.

Has anybody seen the Chadwick Boseman James Brown biopic? Or the insane sounding Don Cheadle Miles Davis movie?
    ElectrodeDuderonomyGivemesoul

“Too many notes” is a classic line. I read a quip the other day from Mark Twain about Wagner’s music being “really much better than it sounds” which is a genius dis. 
    Duderonomy

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    32 Short Films About Glenn Gould:

it's great because it's in no way a traditional biopic, plus served as inspiration for one of the greatest Simpsons episodes ever
    CRABFUNKketanElectrode

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Control makes me think about 24 Hour Party People, which I remember being highly entertaining.

There's Creation Records "biopic" coming out soon, I think...

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    plus served as inspiration for one of the greatest Simpsons episodes ever

I've never seen the film, but at first I thought you were talking about the episode where Homer gets the crayon removed from his brain and suddenly is a fan of Gould, solving Rubik's Cubes one after another. The one you're referring to is my favorite as well: "Wave to the people! Blow them kisses!"

So they made a licensing deal with the estate but couldn't get her two most famous tunes.

The best line in the article is this bit of newspeak: "We received the message from the family, we hear them and acknowledge their concern for Ms Franklin's legacy," a spokesperson said in a statement.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I read the Cheadle Miles flick only got off the ground once they were coerced (by the money people) into having a white guy (Ewan McGregor) in it.  No slight to McGregor for pitching in, but that already tells me it's going to blow, and not in a good way.

CRABFUNK said:
     we hear them and acknowledge their concern

It’s the new “I deeply regret that anybody was offended”

It’s like catching a thief in your house telling them to stop stealing your stuff and they say “I hear you and acknowledge your concern”. No, motherfuker, stop stealing my shit.  

It’s another way of saying “we’re not ignoring you, we just don’t care”. 

CRABFUNK

• Amadeus was one of my mom's favorite movies of all time - she'd quote the "too many notes" line as a phrase to mean not liking something that you couldn't find anything logical to criticize about it. That is an all timer.

Has anybody seen the Chadwick Boseman James Brown biopic? Or the insane sounding Don Cheadle Miles Davis movie?

Bosman does a very good J.B. but the beginning of the film may be confusing for some, but a good bio.