Hello to the Strut

CRABFUNKCRABFUNK 33 Posts
edited March 2021 in Strut Central
This place shaped so many of my musical interests, I am so much richer for it. Glad to see it's still going. Thanks in particular to Raj.

Who's still around from the earlier days? I see Gary, Parallax, Danno, Jimster, Frank, Duder and a few others.... Howdy all.

So what did I miss?

DuderonomyElectrodepiedpiper

Comments

• Hey, welcome back - am I right in thinking you're aka crabmonger funk? So you don't mong them anymore?

You won't know me as I lurked for 10 years but yeah it's a lot of diehards around here. I think some people are re-learning to appreciate a topic/specialized old school forum style of discussion over insta, fb, etc. Even when people are talking unrelated shit it's a group that's come together around something in common rather than shitting into the jet engine of twitter.

And likewise my life in music would've been way different and frankly shittier without the  here over time.
    CRABFUNK

• CRABFUNKCRABFUNK 33 Posts
    Hey man, I remember you! That avatar brings back memories. I stopped monging, started working, became middle-aged and sort of mellowed. I pee three times a night and I no longer want to argue with anyone unless I'm getting paid well for it.
    RAJ

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    CRABFUNK said:
    Hey man, I remember you! That avatar brings back memories. I stopped monging, started working, became middle-aged and sort of mellowed. I pee three times a night and I no longer want to argue with anyone unless I'm getting paid well for it.

Yo!  Great to see you back here checking in.  Unfortunately,  this board is a lot quieter (and I mean a lot quieter) since about 2013.  A lot of folks left for social media or graduated to real world movez.  Things have picked up quit a bit lately, which is nice to see. Nonetheless, I intend to keep this place afloat for better or worse as long I can.

CRABFUNKklezmer electro-thug beatsDuderonomyYemskyDanswift

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Welcome back, dude!

I remember you as well. If I’m not mistaken, you were Fishmonger Funk, then Crabmonger (or was it the other way around?) because of password issues. You’re in BC, right? You got into it a few times with a troll that used to be here (so did I)—thank fusk, he’s gone. 

That guy single-handedly ruined this place before the mass adoption of social media cleared this place out like a dancefloor when last call is announced at shitty night clubs.

Anyway, you’d post dope records on the “finds” threads, and you shared a lengthy list of mp3s for Struttuers to download one time. Lots of dope Canadian jazz/funk like Pacific Salt etc. that I recall downloading.

If I’m wrong about everything I’ve written, big oops, and I guess my memory is fading, but not my ability to be awkward lol. So yeah, welcome back. 
    CRABFUNK

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Welcome back!
    CRABFUNK

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Fishmonger, whoremonger... trying to think of other things that get mongered but that’s all I got. Fish and whores. And crabs I suppose (welcome back!)

Who was the troll?

that’s one benefit of a smaller message board. Fewer trolls. Why, raj could teach a master class in message board curation. 
    billbradley

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Hey Crabster!  Good to see you back.  
    CRABFUNK

para11ax said:
    Welcome back, dude!

I remember you as well. If I’m not mistaken, you were Fishmonger Funk, then Crabmonger (or was it the other way around?) because of password issues. You’re in BC, right? You got into it a few times with a troll that used to be here (so did I)—thank fusk, he’s gone. 

That guy single-handedly ruined this place before the mass adoption of social media cleared this place out like a dancefloor when last call is announced at shitty night clubs.

Anyway, you’d post dope records on the “finds” threads, and you shared a lengthy list of mp3s for Struttuers to download one time. Lots of dope Canadian jazz/funk like Pacific Salt etc. that I recall downloading.

If I’m wrong about everything I’ve written, big oops, and I guess my memory is fading, but not my ability to be awkward lol. So yeah, welcome back. 

Hey man, that was/is me. Living in the frozen ass crack of Canada for the last bunch of years. Good to see you again.

Jimster, the governor. Good to see you too, man.

dizzybull said:
    Fishmonger, whoremonger... trying to think of other things that get mongered but that’s all I got. Fish and whores. And crabs I suppose (welcome back!)

Who was the troll?

that’s one benefit of a smaller message board. Fewer trolls. Why, raj could teach a master class in message board curation. 

Cheesemonger, Fearmonger....

I remember the troll, but I'm not saying his name for fear he will return. He did suck the air out of the room, and I regret ever engaging it.

Maybe it's time for a Strutaisannce. Older heads who share a common language. Checked out Waxidermy, but I have no clue what those dudes are even talking about. Life is too short for shitty private presses that one listens to ironically.

• I wouldn't recommend it but one could also mong war... monger war?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Which snowy ass-crack part of Canada you in?
    I’m in Quebec city.

I’m in Quebec city.

I assumed Winnipeg from that description!

ketan said:
    I’m in Quebec city.

I assumed Winnipeg from that description!

ketan

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Welcome back!

I used to (and still) lurk more than anything but think fondly of the old Soulstrut days sans social media. More focus on the raers and less doomscrolling across platforms while getting nothing done.
    DuderonomyketanbillbradleyRAJ

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    Long time no see! Up for another round of absinthe tasting? 
    CRABFUNK

piedpiper said:

Good to see you, man. Soon as I get the vaccine, I'm off to Berlin and surrounding areas. Absinthe shots on me next time.

piedpiper

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    CRABFUNK said:

piedpiper said:

Good to see you, man. Soon as I get the vaccine, I'm off to Berlin and surrounding areas. Absinthe shots on me next time.

I make my own Mezcal based absinthe down here from home grown wormwood. One of very few plant based anti-parasitical remedies to cross the blood brain barrier (hence the psychoactive effects).

piedpiperpara11axcove

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    CRABFUNK said:

piedpiper said:

I went to a chemistry themed absinthe bar in Berlin.  I'm not a judge of what is good or bad absinthe but i do know i had a good time.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Once you add Tepezcohuite and Ruda to the mix...Real Heads know the Deal

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Frank said:
    Once you add Tepezcohuite and Ruda to the mix...Real Heads know the Deal

LOL, not sure my head is ready to know that deal!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I used to work with a very clever kid who had access to all manner of things including, but not limited to, his own brand of acid.  Him and his mates used to dip picture postcards in it and mail them to each other.  They used to video themselves on it.  He described it to me as "Crashing your brain" so parts of the vision recognition system malfunction.  For example, they used to play pool on acid and said the black ball would morph into a spider, then a beetle, then a black ball once it slowed down.  On other stuff he had deeper experiences, from thinking he lived in a cave, to being a tree, to being trapped inside a wallpaper pattern to being paralysed with fear with a big eye watching him.

I've always been wary.  There are parts of my mind that are walled-up and concreted over like Chernobyl.  I am not sure psychedelics are for me.  He gave me a tab the day I quit the job and I got the bus home.  The bus looked a mile long inside.  However I was somehow walking at about a mile every 10 seconds as I managed to get off it.  If it could give me a deeper, REAL understanding of, y'know... Life, the Universe and everything... And not leave me like Peter Green... maybe.

I am mostly a lightweight (compared to Duder) drinker, never smoked recreationally or anything stronger.  I have seen the darkside to that, believe.  Ex was a drug counsellor.

BUT - Interested to hear what other Strutters have experienced.

Also this was really interesting:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/mar/13/it-blew-my-mind-can-psychedelic-drugs-cure-addiction-depression

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    I am equally fascinated, curious, and terrified of psychedelics. Has anyone here tried micro-dosing? If so, how was (is) it?

Mushrooms are awesome and I try to use them once a year at least. I’ve never used anything more intense.
    Frank

ketan said:
    Mushrooms are awesome 

And I don’t just mean fun. They lead to a very unique type of introspection that is brilliant... and sometimes dark.  I always make sure I’m in good company and I’m nature. 

Frank

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Besides a handful of small doses of peyote and acid I haven't really done psychedelics until just a couple years ago.* I knew I would use them at one point for therapeutic reasons but between that idea and my first serious dose were 3 years with a 5-6 day a week regimen of 3-7 hours mindfulness meditation and yoga after Jon Kabat-Zinn. I used a guided audio series that was first distributed on cassette tape in the late 70s or early 80s I think. He has a website where you can buy the mp3s, I can't recommend this shit enough. Preparing the mind-set is the most crucial part. If you pay good enough attention your subconscious will lead you and let you know when you're ready. The *real psychedelic experience opens the door to the subconscious. I believe that this way it can hand you the tools to re-wire yourself, help to release and truly understand trauma and its effects on your life and behavior and it can lead to a full understanding of self. This is not a silver bullet though and the outcome depends on the amount of work invested. Once you gained this understanding though you can go ahead and go pretty wild with this stuff. In my experience the main effect is not the trip itself but what will follow. For me there is always a 1-2 day phase where everything just settles and then begins the process of understanding. This is all totally subjective though and I'm certified crazy so take this with some salt.

*actually, that's not true. Once I ingested a pint of highly concentrated hash honey with the active ingredients of ca 2 pounds of bud. A teaspoon of this would usually let me sleep for 12 hours. In high doses cannabinoids get super psychedelic. Was an accident though so I don't count this.

Jimster

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Oh and I'd avoid participating in anything that involves any form of psychedelics and uses the words "retreat", "healing" or "shaman". That shit isn't only bogus and gross but it's also potentially dangerous.
    Jimsterklezmer electro-thug beatsTom_Doc_Delay

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I've never done psychedelics and found peace with myself and others without similar assistance, but acid piques my curiosity. Synthetic/"research chemical" crap being passed off as the real thing keeps me away, though.
    Frank

• Frank how in the hell do you accidentally ingest a pint of hash honey?!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Frank how in the hell do you accidentally ingest a pint of hash honey?!

I was in an extremely altered but not drug related state of consciousness at the time of ingestion and it was dissolved in about a quarter gallon of water. Long story...

Frank said: Preparing the mind-set is the most crucial part. If you pay good enough attention your subconscious will lead you and let you know when you're ready. The *real psychedelic experience opens the door to the subconscious. I believe that this way it can hand you the tools to re-wire yourself, help to release and truly understand trauma and its effects on your life and behavior and it can lead to a full understanding of self. This is not a silver bullet though and the outcome depends on the amount of work invested. Once you gained this understanding though you can go ahead and go pretty wild with this stuff. In my experience the main effect is not the trip itself but what will follow. For me there is always a 1-2 day phase where everything just settles and then begins the process of understanding. This is all totally subjective though and I'm certified crazy so take this with some salt.

I don't do mindfulness and am not dealing with trauma, but a lot of this resonates with my experiences.  I've always tried to practice crtitical self-reflection every now and then, and a good trip will give me an opportunity to really look at myself.  The hard thing is that it's somewhat unpredictable what exactly i'll end up focusing on. But I always come away with some ultra-valuable insights about what's really up with my life and what I want to be doing more/less of.  

But so much fun too.  So many vivid "magical" memories.

"This is all totally subjective though and I'm certified crazy so take this with some salt."