Fake it 'Till You Make It

CRABFUNKCRABFUNK 33 Posts
edited March 2021 in Strut Central
The mantra of generation. How the hell do no-talents like this get sponsorships, high profile gigs, management teams, millions of "fans", etc? Do people not have ears? Also, how can one teach if one does not have fundamentals mastered? Where does this confidence come from and how can I get me some?

b/w

Get off my lawn (old man yells at cloud)

Dare you to make it thorugh 5 minutes of this:

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I feel the same way about EDM DJs that make 40 million dollars a year playing hot garbage. I don't get it. 
    Duderonomy

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    CRABFUNK said:

I ended up watching way too much of this.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    How does her audience "dance" to this demented garbage? Like Joe Cocker having an epileptic seizure?

• CRABFUNKCRABFUNK 33 Posts
    Frank said:
    How does her audience "dance" to this demented garbage? Like Joe Cocker having an epileptic seizure?

Hey Frank. Good to see you. What part of the world are you in these days?

I cannot understand how anyone who has any ears (much less professional musicians) cannot tell within less than 15 seconds that she cannot play for shit. The post in not so much about her (I'm a hack player as well) as it is those who have enabled this utter madness. Is this gaslighting? Is there something wrong with my ears? 

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    CRABFUNK said:

Hey Frank. Good to see you. What part of the world are you in these days?

I cannot understand how anyone who has any ears (much less professional musicians) cannot tell within less than 15 seconds that she cannot play for shit. The post in not so much about her (I'm a hack player as well) as it is those who have enabled this utter madness. Is this gaslighting? Is there something wrong with my ears? 

Hey Crab. Good and surprising to see some action here again. I've been living in Oaxaca for 5 years now in a few months from now this will be the longest I've ever stayed in a single place since I was 12 and still loving it more with every week that goes by.

Admittedly this is an extreme case but I don't think it's anything that out of the ordinary. There are a lot of idiots out there who buy idiot products and feel idiotically passionate about it, just have a look at those comments... delusional hobbyist drummers need idols too from what it looks like. This is the same pattern as people "cooking" "Mexican" "Food" from Goya cans and processed mutant corn products, grown ups reading harry potter, obese fucks driving "sports" cars, "Nordic" walking with those retard sticks, "smart" phones, tvs, doorbells etc

The only hope I have is that covid mutates fast enough to wipe all these embarrassments of the face of the earth for good.

CRABFUNK

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    I was trying to think of how this is different than something like some punk rock bands where they can barely their instruments and I think the difference is that in those cases they are under no illusions that they are music experts. And certainly wouldn’t be training others how to it. 

Bob Dylan wasn’t a great singer, but never gave singing lessons either. 

CRABFUNKFrankDuderonomy

dizzybull said:
    I was trying to think of how this is different than something like some punk rock bands where they can barely their instruments and I think the difference is that in those cases they are under no illusions that they are music experts. And certainly wouldn’t be training others how to it. 

Gary! How's it going? Good to be see you.

I think Dylan was able to get over with his singing voice by compensating in other ways that were more important than technique, and the songs, of course, were amazing. I'm starting to feel the same way about Nirvana (which is played on the radio every 15 minutes in the city I live in). Those guitar solos that follow the melody exactly are kind of ridiculous, but the songs stand on their own.

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Yeah whenever I try to look up how to do something I get a bunch of videos featuring rich kids that start out “hey guys blah blah blah hit the like button and subscribe, check out my new merch” and then 15 min in they show how to do the thing that I looked up. But it’s obviously the first time that they ever did it so wtf.  

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    dizzybull said:

When you're the guy that had the idea for a pro smoking benefit concert, there really is no boundary to ones brilliance.

• Are there loads of jazz heads who just love "guy who just discovered midi drums and is hyperactive with the programming" type drumming? Maybe she's got some niche hard core of fans who love busy, unmusical noodling like somebody trying to work in every single midi instrument (also making sure to tune, record and purchase drums that sound like midi).

But that second set of videos you posted... like I get a lot of youtube commenters worship at the "altar of chops" but she can't even stay on beat in those?!

Is this like a "gentleman driver" in WRC where some guy with 10 million to waste jumps in a top tier race car and has a "career" in the big league that is entirely self-funded - like did someone pay for a $25k drum kit and camera rig and her own video lessons and gigs to humor her?

I guess there's a genre bias to this but the more drums in somebody's kit the less I expect to like how they sound. It's pretty much never steered me wrong. It's like the edpowers YALL MOTHERFUCKERS READY FOR THE REAL SHIT SAY HOOOOOO intro - you know somebody's fake before the music even starts.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    All of this ^^^.  Self-proclaimed masters of a genre that have been playing five minutes, EDM DJs ("It's the experience"), Old Man/Cloud...

But freal doe... I remember seeing Ed Thigpen playing the shit out of a kit that looks as spartan as 300 and thinking to myself, like Roy Batty, "THAT'S THE SPIRIT!"

Let me find it...  He's not even got anything in his hands... play from this bit - 16:00

Ed Thigpen is dope. Really love that Danish period, "action-reaction" etc..

Check out the chops and musicality of these kids:

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    yeah, DOMi and JD Beck are nuts.

I get that the girl in the first video is trying to sound like house music, but house music is like the most unimpressive music to try to emulate, and she's still doing a crap job of it. I'm much more into these young jazz drummers going all amen break because they dig the blazing downtempo.

Those two other videos by that girl are even more baffling to me. I have zero sense of rhythm, to the point that my brother always made fun of me for it growing up, so I'm always a little weary when people starts shitting on some musician's technical ability and whatnot because it usually just comes across as musical snobbery. But man, even to my untrained ears and complete lack of rhythm that drumming sounds like garbage. In the comments people are like "wow, mad time signature changes!" but how is it even a change in time signature when she can't hold a beat for more than 2 seconds, unless it's some four on the floor thumping business?

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    In the comments people are like "wow, mad time signature changes!" but how is it even a change in time signature when she can't hold a beat for more than 2 seconds

Baaaahahaha

I knew this girl when I was in the army called The Two Headed Squirrel because she was dumber than a two headed squirrel. When she danced it was something else, my friend said it was like she had headphones on and was listening to something totally different. One day, in Korea, there was some big exercise amd some genius decided she would brief a bunch of Officers about this planned drill. Some high ranking so-and-so started pressing her with questions and she says “whatever it’s not like it’s real anyways”. Fair point, I guess, but he wasn’t having it, and they reassigned her to some remote Korean army base where she was the only American and we never saw her again. Shit was real. Some people you don’t smart off to. She literally disappeared. That’s harsh!  she was a nice person, just dumb  

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    yeah, DOMi and JD Beck are nuts.

I get that the girl in the first video is trying to sound like house music, but house music is like the most unimpressive music to try to emulate, and she's still doing a crap job of it. I'm much more into these young jazz drummers going all amen break because they dig the blazing downtempo.

Those two other videos by that girl are even more baffling to me. I have zero sense of rhythm, to the point that my brother always made fun of me for it growing up, so I'm always a little weary when people starts shitting on some musician's technical ability and whatnot because it usually just comes across as musical snobbery. But man, even to my untrained ears and complete lack of rhythm that drumming sounds like garbage. In the comments people are like "wow, mad time signature changes!" but how is it even a change in time signature when she can't hold a beat for more than 2 seconds, unless it's some four on the floor thumping business?

Maybe those "fans" just cheer her on so she embarrasses herself some more, like some drunk falls down a flight of stairs and everybody cheers "WOOooooww – check out those next level parkour skills" just so the idiot crawls back up and does it all over again.

DuderonomyCRABFUNK

Frank said:
    Maybe those "fans" just cheer her on so she embarrasses herself some more, like some drunk falls down a flight of stairs and everybody cheers "WOOooooww – check out those next level parkour skills" just so the idiot crawls back up and does it all over again.
    I think they may not know the difference and that this is a form of gaslighting. To take Frank's analogy, in this case it is the "fans" who are being encouraged to fall down a flight of steps. Maybe, this is some elaborate social experiment/hoax à la Sasha Baron Cohen or Morgan Spurlock...

billbradley