Waxidermy Issues?

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited September 2006 in Strut Central
Since early this morning Waxidermy wont open for me. It keeps downloading files from the site right on my desktop. Is this happening to anyone else?

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i am having the same problem.

• same here, can't get into the main page or forums, I get a window asking if I want to download files.

• I got in to check my PM's, was able to look at a PM and then when I tried to get to the mainpage it wouldn't show up. This was at 8:49AM Mountain time.

If it's prompting you to download files, sounds like waxidermy got hacked.

I have a Mac(k) so, virus' don't affect me

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    damn those Alexander Longrifle groupies!

• worked for a few and now nothing...

I was in the middle of a post and it went down

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    unbrowsable

• seems like the server instantly lost php support.

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    It's on, again.

Peace

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    headz will roll

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    hcrink said:
    headz will roll

• Waxi tech support thraed

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    womp womp womp

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    where in the world is ed slavin?

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    I’ve lurked forever and have an account with waxi, but I just can’t hang with that group, even though them dudes seem real friendly.

Feels like a room full of I.T. guys that have known each other for 20 years droning on about DOS and tech minutiae found in early 80’s computers…except waxi dudes are into PINA, advanced smooth (they do have a solid sense of humour), folkways ish, loner moves, etc. Very inside-baseball about sounds that are generally poison to my ears. 

The ethnohonkies thread over there is comedy gold tho. Those boys know how to laugh. I’ve almost killed myself laughing at a few posts on that thread. So good.

Anyway, god bless ‘em. They’ve stayed strong while the Strut mostly was decimated by social media. 

• Yeah I've read both here and there since each's respective inception pretty much, and posted a bit, but there are definitely dudes who are such megaconsumers of music that they only get excited about stuff they haven't previously enjoyed or stuff that NOBODY enjoys. Like I really love the white reggae thread for the awful shit they dig up, but reading about what I'd actually consider good music is a little harder there...

BITD I liked the reviews because the point was to find the weirdest stuff. But to me that's a different purpose to talking about the genres you like. I don't actually like "weird records that suck" except in pretty small doses.
    RAJ

para11ax said:

Anyway, god bless ‘em. They’ve stayed strong while the Strut mostly was decimated by social media. 

I agree.  It does seam fitting that a batch of Paul Major worshippers could never advance past 2002 BBS technology. That said, I never understood why a lot of them would shit on this site, especially when it wouldn't exist without this place.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    RAJ said:

That said, I never understood why a lot of them would shit on this site, especially when it wouldn't exist without this place.

Daddy issues?

dizzybullDuderonomy

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    HCrink, the creator of Waxidermy, is one of the first Strutters I've met. He's a brilliant and friendly guy. I don't keep up with how the W community is now, but all the best to him.

klezmer electro-thug beats

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I've met cool people through Soul Strut and Waxidermy. Waxidermy definitely has a nerdier side with people that go deep into the private press records. It seems like a lot of record dealers and store owners all migrated to Waxidermy as other forums slowly died off. While a lot of members can talk about PINA and boring seafood restaurant jazz extensively there are others that are equally as knowledgeable about soul 45s and other stuff. They've been doing a weekly Zoom call and it's been fun getting to know some of the members a little better on the call the few times I've joined. Both forums have their place for me. I'll try to stay active on both as long as they are online.
    RAJklezmer electro-thug beatspara11ax

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    shoutout kingp*n (summer patio visit, a?) - and i'm sure i know other waxists irl.  it's just different shades of nerdery/humour/politics wrapped up in records.  the world would be less well off without both ying and the yang 
    klezmer electro-thug beatspara11ax

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    Dr. Wu called Hcrink last night and found out Waxi is in a database migration that may or may not work. The old software running Waxi is badly aged and would not likely make it more than a year in its current setup.

As someone from the tech world, dbase migrations are one of the most stressful, hair graying experiences when they are going well. Hopefully Hcrink and the team working on the migration can manage it and be back up soon. Otherwise, they will have to restart the site from ground zero.

klezmer electro-thug beats

• Prayers up for all those priceless posts, especially the white reggae thread and the music to import beads by thread.

Seriously I hope crink pulls it off though!
    Saracenus

• SaracenusSaracenus 671 Posts
    Prayers up for all those priceless posts, especially the white reggae thread and the music to import beads by thread.

Seriously I hope crink pulls it off though!

I hope so too. I am not a member of Waxi but in the table top gaming (TTG) community we have had a raft of old sites slip away and die. The saying, "the internet is forever," is not totally true. If the worst should happen, you might be able to see some of the site here:
    https://archive.org/web/

I was able to find the last viable backup for Waxi from Feb 5, 2021 there:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20210205075541/http://waxidermy.com/bbs/

EDIT: Well that is a bummer. The main page was backed up in 2021 but the links it has only go up to about 2017. So, there is a lot of history that has gone missing. That also may be that they do not display active parts of the site at the Wayback Machine and when it detects that Waxi is MIA it will put up more recent versions that it has recorded. Too early to tell.

This site has been invaluable in the TTG community's effort to preserve some of our history on the web. 

Crazy.  So the BBS software they are running wasn't archived past the thread subject index page.  That sucks!!! I was using a version of UBB Threads in 2004 that did the same thing.  So, lost a year of golden era strut, but I have 2001-2003, 2005-2021 still archived and accessible thankfully.
    Saracenus

• I trust in crink (PBUH) but if the process goes to shit he should hit you up Raj for your archival/migration knowledge, SS has been a few painful transitions right?

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Hey what do you know I figured out my password!  I stopped posting here when I had login issues after a site update.  I’m glad the waxi glitch sent me back here to try again.  Props to both sites but I am more of a tommy digs-a-lot funk sample 90’s guy so the posts and mixes on here are my style for sure. Thanks for keeping the site up!
    ppadilhabillbradleyJimsterSaracenus

I hope HCRINK is able to recovery everything but if not I wonder if some of the the Waxidermy heads are going to migrate back to Soul Strut.