Sly Stone doc by ?love & Common Sense

ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
Sly Stone is in my Top 5 dead or alive, so I'm here for this, and starting this thraed so we can check in when it comes to fruition: https://www.indiewire.com/2021/02/questlove-sly-stone-family-stone-documentary-1234617954/

dizzybullElectrode

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    His daughter Novena Carmel, who is one of KCRW's hosts, briefly mentioned this a while back. I look forward to it.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Electrode said:
    His daughter Novena Carmel, who is one of KCRW's hosts,

I'm outta touch!  Had no idea.

• Sly's still alive, right? It seemed odd the article makes no mention of that or the man himself's involvement. Or am I wrong and did he die in 2011 

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Hes alive and won a huge court case over his publishing I believe. There were a few docs in recent years about him. He sort of disappeared and was living in a mobile home, in bad shape. Hopefully hes doing better now.

Side note: am I the only ?love hater? I cant abide dude. Dont know what it is but hes always struck me to be a fake ass try hard johnny come lately afro pick sporting poser kissing hollywood ass every chance he gets

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Twenty-ish years ago UK heads were treated to a music series on Channel 4 called something like Top Ten ______ bands. There was a brilliant Hip-Hop one presented by Flava Flav & Mark Lamar, and one on Funk bands. Each band would have a few interviews with surviving members, journalists from the era and other notables with an opinion, and I’ll always remember the Sly Stone segment for an anecdote relating to a pitbull and a monkey. Sly lived in some groupie-heaven mansion, and owned the two aforementioned pets. The monkey used to walk up to the pitbull, slap it’s face, and race off and climb a pole - juuust out of reach of the angry dog. Sly and other band mate would watch and laugh, but one day speculated on what the dog would do if it ever caught the monkey. So they greased the pole.
    The next time the monkey slapped the dog, they watched the chase to the pole as usual but this time the monkey slipped straight down with a bang, and the pitbull bit the fucker on the back of the neck, held it down and proceeded to assfuck the life out of that monkey.
    The monkey never slapped the dog again.

I don’t know enough about ?love to be sure if his personality is different when on or off camera.
    dizzybullketanstaxwax

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Hahahahahahah that post was great

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I don't believe that pitbull and the monkey story for one second. Maybe some sort of decorative monkey in a tutu but not with a chimp, just do a google image search for monkey mauling. I saw (off line, story is googleable though) graphic shots of a group of idiot tourists got out of their car on a chimp safari in Sierra Leone... these animals have extremely powerful jaws, sharp teeth, long, muscular limbs and fingers/toes that can hold the entire animal's weight with ease and for time. Chimp attacks usually include the ripping off of the ballsack and a full face removal. Pits have jaws, nothing else.

Maybe it was a Bonobo, took some grease off the pole to lube up and then went to town on the pit as Bonobos are known for the use of sex for conflict solving.

Jimsterdizzybullstaxwax

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Frank said:
    Chimp attacks usually include the ripping off of the ballsack and a full face removal. 

That's some of the realest shit I've ever read!  So many relevant strut emojis!  

dizzybullklezmer electro-thug beats

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I had assumed that the monkey was more like one of these little guys, they're more or less the standard pet monkey (if there is such a thing) in South America:

I guess Frank's knowledge vis-a-vis scrote ripping corroborates Jimster's tale of a dude in Vietnam getting his testes stolen by a chimp or something

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I guess Frank's knowledge vis-a-vis scrote ripping corroborates Jimster's tale of a dude in Vietnam getting his testes stolen by a chimp or something

Freal doe.

My uncle told me about it when he was in the Korean war.  The chimps (or whatever the local species were) were known for their voracious appetite for tobacco which they acquired from the troops who I guess enjoyed the company of chainsmoking monkeys.

However, the monkeys often raided the tents looking for more 'baccy and the troops (who, because of the heat, used to sleep naked) were advised in no uncertain terms not to confront a raiding chimp as the consequences were indeed as Frank described.

Oof.

FFWD to a few years back when I was out in Gibraltar and had one of the locals jump on my back out of nowhere.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_macaques_in_Gibraltar

• Yeah I will never understand people who think they can own as a pet, or even weirder, be friends on equal terms with a captive incredibly smart animal who also has the strength to literally yank your hands off. And couple that with the face and double sac focus... good night!!!

Jimster said:
    ppadilha said:

Freal doe.

My uncle told me about it when he was in the Korean war.  The chimps (or whatever the local species were) were known for their voracious appetite for tobacco which they acquired from the troops who I guess enjoyed the company of chainsmoking monkeys.

However, the monkeys often raided the tents looking for more 'baccy and the troops (who, because of the heat, used to sleep naked) were advised in no uncertain terms not to confront a raiding chimp as the consequences were indeed as Frank described.

Oof.

FFWD to a few years back when I was out in Gibraltar and had one of the locals jump on my back out of nowhere.  

Ain’t no chimps in korea. You dad was talking about prostitutes* but wanted to protect you from the truth!

*im not saying your father partook in that particular economy, but they were everywhere so it’s not like he wouldn’t have seen one either  

CRABFUNK

I’ve always gone with monkey = tail, chimp = ape (no tail).

dizzybull said:
    Jimster said:
    ppadilha said:

Freal doe.

Oof.

Ain’t no chimps in korea. You dad was talking about prostitutes* but wanted to protect you from the truth!

*im not saying your father partook in that particular economy, but they were everywhere so it’s not like he wouldn’t have seen one either  

Uncle!  My dad was in the RAF but wasn't overseas, fortunately.  

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    This is Sly in that mobile home being interviewed by some vulture after winning back his publishing

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Never mess with the wildlife. Ever.

I remember being at Angkor Wat in Cambodia and a women was waving to this guy. She had a broken leg with a cast on and to her horror, he came over and started humping her and she couldn't get away. Luckily, a local came over and saved her. I may even have a video somewhere of part of the hump attack.

In Thailand I have a favourite beach near Krabi. The locals constantly steal my cokes (Which has me always locking up my drinks on the beach when taking a nap or going for a swim). Even though they don't look particularly scary. I would never bother them. Ain't worth the attack of hundreds of cliff jumping monkeys.

Duderonomyketan

Jimster said:
    dizzybull said:
    Jimster said:
    ppadilha said:

Freal doe.

Oof.

Uncle!  My dad was in the RAF but wasn't overseas, fortunately.  

I stand corrected. Uncles do be loving those prostitutes. 

Maybe it was a Frenchman...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-40801937

One stormy day during the Napoleonic Wars, a French ship was wrecked off the coast of an old fishing village clinging to the north-east coast of England.

The only survivor was the ship's mascot, a monkey that was washed ashore.

The people of Hartlepool had never seen a monkey before - nor, for that matter, had they ever set eyes on a Frenchman.

Mistaking its chattering for the language of the enemy, they convicted the monkey of being a French spy and hanged the animal on the beach.

Or so the story goes.

Duderonomy

Was definitely a French spy. Definitely.

• CRABFUNKCRABFUNK 33 Posts

I’ll always remember the Sly Stone segment for an anecdote relating to a pitbull and a monkey.

A much less funny story is how that pitbull mauled Sly's infant son, Sly lost custody and the dog was put down.

Bobby Womack said:
    I used to go over to Sly's place just for entertainment value. It was crazy. Everything you could think of, girls, drugs, guns, completely wackadoo. He even had a zoo. A fucking soul zoo. He had this monkey. Every time I went over this monkey would clamber down and bash his pit bull over the head before jumping back on the fence. It drove the dog wild. Only this one time Sly greased the fence and the monkey slid back down. The dog tore the monkeys chest out, right in front of us. It was always like that at Sly's. It was like the fall of Rome with afro's.'