Tik Tok

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
A quick question from the 

I've been on Instagram and Facebook as a primary means of keeping people up on the strut and promoting the Live Stream for 10 years now.  Things do appear quieter lately and a bit stale.

Does anybody have experience with Tik Tok as a means for general record nerd tom foolery for Gen X'ers and the emerging Millenial crate digger crowd?

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I thought Tik Tok was just millennials doing stupid dances.
    Duderonomystefanieee

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

Same... I'm deathly afraid of it, but don't want to be a dinosaur.  

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I mostly follow record collectors on Instagram. There are still plenty of good records being posted there. I'm completely disconnected when it comes to Tik Tok though. I can't say if it is worth pursuing for promoting your live stream or not. It can't hurt I guess but I don't know how many record nerds are actually using it. I think the issue lately has been that once the pandemic started Instagram became super saturated with live streams. Then with the copyright issues and everyone getting shut off midstream everyone split off into other venues. Mixcloud, Youtube, Twitch etc. That division makes it hard to unify everyone because we're being pulled into multiple directions. I still try to tune into streams when I can though and have done a little streaming myself but I don't promote it at all. I'm glad to see you are keeping at it though. I do envy your setup. I can tell you spent a while getting that all dialed in.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    RAJ said:

embrace the dinosaur in you and get a T-Rex costume to do your record nerdery Tik Toks, like Tino Asprilla did with his horses

Millenials love that shit

ElectrodeJimsterDuderonomy

• An inflatable T-rex spinning raers seems like it'd have some lucrative tiktok-crossposted-to-twitter potential, at the very least

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    klezmer electro-thug beatsDuderonomy

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    If it's any reference, Angelique Kidjo gets about 6k views and 600 likes in a day for singing some Nina Simone

https://www.tiktok.com/@angelique_kidjo/video/6932837445700537605?lang=en&is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v2

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    ketan said:
    If it's any reference, Angelique Kidjo gets about 6k views and 600 likes in a day for singing some Nina Simone

https://www.tiktok.com/@angelique_kidjo/video/6932837445700537605?lang=en&is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v2

I recently discovered her version of Summertime. I was shocked to find that it came out 20 years ago. I thought for sure it was something new. It’s awesome. 

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Yeah Tik Tok is for giggly 13 yr old girls. 

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    i worked for tik tok last year. i just moderating clips, but one of my friends where moderating swedish live streams. there was this swedish rock producer i never heard about fucking around in his studio, and that was one of the biggest streams, if not the biggest. live streams seemed to have a different audience than the clips and tik tok is still growing and projecting huge growth, so i don't see why you shouldn't live stream on tik tok. t-rex costume is a great idea.

how old the users where seemed to vary from market to market. the spanish talking market had the oldest average age, followed by the brits. the spanish market includes all the spanish talking south american countries and that is the crazy part of tik tok. the brits are weirdly obsessed by some kind of soap drama or reality drama. maybe it was that tik tok house. weird videos with dialogues written down.  

my own market was the youngest and had some young gay christians that had found straightness through christ and now showed off how fun christianity in some very gay videos. the brightest of them said fuck that and went back to being christian and gay, the fallout was immense. 

this is coming from someone who disliked working for tik tok as a company and disliked the actual job i had. 

YemskyDuderonomy

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    Thomostak said:
    Hi! TikTok is an excellent platform for promoting any activity. At first, I thought that only stupid young people were sitting in this application, but then I decided to try

And found it also welcomes Spammers?

sticky_dojahDuderonomy

• At first, I thought tik was for dancing teenagers only and was pretty skeptical about this platform. However, after becoming popular even among older groups, you can find many different accounts, from animal life shortcuts programs to studying materials videos. I’m subscribed to a girl who makes candles and shows the process, and she’s extremely popular. My friend buys active followers and views on TikTok, and she already has 10k subscribers. I’m thinking of trying posting videos about my art (painting pictures with acryl)

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    At first I thought TikTok was for animal life shortcuts programs and materials videos only but now that I find there's dancing teenagers and stupid young people sitting in the application it's been ruined for me. 
    YemskyJimster

• TikTok is a specific social network designed for active young people. This is my view. To make your channel more famous, you can use tik tok promotion https://artistpush.me/collections/tik-tok-promotion
    Jimster

• Extremely late Larry King vibes in that post.

Sue me, but I'm no fan of... Charles Manson. And that's my two cents.

What social network do lazy young people use?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,783 Posts
    Active on social media. Not actually active!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    RAJ said:

I'm absolutely terrified of change, but I definitely don't want to become extinct like a dinosaur...

Death means different things to different people. Death on social media isn't really death.

• I’ve been getting into Tik Tok. I have to say their algorithm in the For You Page is on point. It’s not just dancing anymore. Tons of people sharing knowledge and opinions about everything in a casual unpolished way with a lot of back and forth exchanges. I mostly follow guitar players and I’ve learned a ton. Haven’t searched much for records yet but this shop employee is pretty cool 

https://www.tiktok.com/@katesiamro?_t=8akLhU87lyV&_r=1

• This singer/Berklee professor breaks down popular vocalists styles and abilities in a passionate way
    https://www.tiktok.com/@leethefury?_t=8anGlzH4YEk&_r=1

• Excellent crate digger TikTok Toxic Sludge
    https://www.tiktok.com/@toxicsludge100?_t=8csxBS3bBc2&_r=1