"skating" on 45s (HALP!!!!)

dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
This problem only happens on 1 turntable, the other one is fine.  When i play 45s, and it gets need the inner portion of the record it will start to sort of slide around.  it's not really skipping all though it sounds like it.  Its like the tone arm reached a certain angle and decides it doesn't like it.  The weird thing is that it only happens on 45s.

I think this might be 'skating' although i'm not sure.  there is a skate control thing on the turntable but i don't know how it works. it's just a screw as far as i can tell.  the tone arm is balanced correctly.

Any ideas? It's driving me crazy.

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    You have to go through the whole process of setting up the turntable. First make sure the table is level, then set the tracking force of the tonearm if it's adjustable, then set the anti-skate. The tonearm wants to move toward the center of the record. Anti-skate helps prevent that and gives a little force to push the tonearm back toward the outside of the record. What type of turntable are you using?

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    You have to go through the whole process of setting up the turntable. First make sure the table is level, then set the tracking force of the tonearm if it's adjustable, then set the anti-skate. The tonearm wants to move toward the center of the record. Anti-skate helps prevent that and gives a little force to push the tonearm back toward the outside of the record. What type of turntable are you using?

Vestax PDX a1 mkII.  I think the anti skate is a little block knob thing, but i'm not sure which direction or how far to turn it.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    dizzybull said:
    billbradley What type of turntable are you using?

Vestax PDX a1 mkII.  I think the anti skate is a little block knob thing, but i'm not sure which direction or how far to turn it.

Try in the direction of trial and error. 

para11ax

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Yemsky said:
    dizzybull said:
    billbradley What type of turntable are you using?

Try in the direction of trial and error. 

Goddamit. That made me laugh. 

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    This video explains the process well

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    You're meant to check the tracking weight and adjust to match etc. I tend to just drop the arm in the space between the record and the arm rest and let it bounce a bit - if it bounces sideways a little then I adjust the anti-skate until it doesn't. Yeah, trial and error...