Classic songs that you inexplicably hate

dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
Some classics you hate because they have been played to death, like Hotel California or whatever.  This thread is for songs where there isn't really any reason why you hate a particular song... you just sort of hate it.

For example I hate the songs "Sunny" and "My Cherie Amor".  I have no good reason for hating them. I'm sure they are well written and I don't care that other people love them, there's just something about them that I don't like.  

"OH SUNNYYYYYY!!!!" barf.

I don't know why I dislike these songs. 

So.... whatcha got?  

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    SIR DUKE

Stevie Wonder is my main man - and there will be rivers of tears when he passes - but when mainstream radio inevtiably plays Sir Duke as a tribute, I will turn off the radio...

and play My Cherie Amour instead.  Ha!  No, i do like it, but not that much.  I'll play Talking Book front to back instead.  

• Aw man Sir Duke was such a staple of my childhood I can't put that in this category. That's a top 3 childhood memory song. My Cherie Amour fits better if you ask me. And cosine on Sunny.

HOWEVER. There are so many, SO MANY goddam songs that fit this. I feel like songs need to be retired from public play by law when they've been played a certain number of times. I'm not a scientist who can determine that number, but say a song's been on the radio, played in malls and stores on spotify playlists, and in movies and TV and you can calculate it's played for a billion sets of ears or something. From that point on, the law kicks in and if you want to hear that song it's in the privacy of your own headphones, car or home. If you are a radio DJ, film music rights person, or other role who subjects the masses to music, you get a fax every week (don't ask why fax it just makes sense) with a list of the songs that have expired. No more Enter Sandman! No more Call Me Maybe! Keep that shit on your phone, superfans, and leave the general populace with some necessarily expanded horizons. If you break the rules or miss last week's fax, a bunch of goons in hob nailed boots crush through your walls with a batter-ram and fuck you up. No jail or fine or criminal record, just an ass beating.

My particular hates would be every UK Christmas number 1 single, every single one, fuck them

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

My particular hates would be every UK Christmas number 1 single, every single one, fuck them

Haha. Agreed that the hype over who’s number 1 at Christmas is stupid and also produces some of the worst music imaginable, but in general I’ve gone full circle with corny English Christmas songs and enjoy the classics now. The late ‘70s-mid’80s was the golden age.

Jimster

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Hate is a strong word, but I never liked Juicy, One More Chance, Big Poppa by Biggie... at all.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Come Together.  I am not the biggest Beatles fan and whenever the artist at a gig I'm at decides to drop a Beatles cover, it's inevitably this, and I pray PLEASE LET IT BE OVER.  It was when they were at their smuggest but come to think of it the whole later catalogue does fuck-all for me.  Peppers schmeppers.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I really dislike ABBA - Dancing Queen. If all ABBA records were tossed into a fire I'd be ok with that.
    Duderonomy

I really dislike ABBA - Dancing Queen. If all ABBA records were tossed into a fire I'd be ok with that.

Take your mouth off and go watch Eurovision! Ferrel will instil the requisite appreciation for the Swedish supergroup and the staggering phenomena that is the Eurovision Song Contest. You will be converted and start wearing turtle-neck jumpers, loafers without socks and sculpting your hair with olive oil. Your new found infatuation with ABBA will be such that you’ll give away your record collection and post the jungle to an address in Quebec.

I read a good article about ABBA and schlager:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jul/08/ja-ja-ding-dong-how-schlager-found-its-joyful-place-pop-eurovision

Jimsterpara11ax

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    klezmer electro-thug beats said:
    Aw man Sir Duke was such a staple of my childhood I can't put that in this category. That's a top 3 childhood memory song. My Cherie Amour fits better if you ask me.
    You can swap them for me!  I love the chorus tho - awesome.

• Man I forgot ABBA. There is not a single ABBA song I appreciate. I'm with Bill. All ABBA music can be melted down. Or the more civilized option I outlined above of eliminating it from public play by pain of a devastating beatdown.

• My particular hates would be every UK Christmas number 1 single, every single one, fuck them

Haha. Agreed that the hype over who’s number 1 at Christmas is stupid and also produces some of the worst music imaginable, but in general I’ve gone full circle with corny English Christmas songs and enjoy the classics now. The late ‘70s-mid’80s was the golden age.

I spent too much of my life avoiding corn to ever be able to embrace it, I think. Especially UK pop. Yeaurgh. 

That reminds me, the Carpenters is pretty much how dizzybull describes it for me, like, from the level of continued love and respect that soft-hand shit gets, I can grant that it must be well done, but I just personally can't listen to it for more than about 5 seconds. 

The Carpenters is also interesting for being something that I never heard anybody ever talk about when I lived in the US, like, at some point it was recognized that while they were extremely popular and mainstream, the music from the 70s we were gonna preserve in cultural memory was gonna be Stevie and Led Zeppelin and whatever and not the Carpenters. Whereas in the UK it's still ubiquitous culturally... god I remember talking to some Brit who'd visited their house as a pilgrimage on a trip to LA or something? They can't just retcon that stuff out of existence like the American mainstream has.

I remember my mum singing Carpenters stuff to us when we were kids.  She's just moved into a nursing home and it tears me up.  She told me a few weeks ago she wishes we were all little kids again and she had her energy back.  So Carpenters will always choke me up.  I guess sentimental cheese is always a money maker.  Karen Carpenter never sang anything like she meant it, but that is probably why they were so airplay-friendly - apparently radio audience panelists vote down singers who get too emotional.

• That is an interesting point about emotional singing, probably why ABBA was so huge too. I never considered somebody would want to dial back on genuine emotion for marketability, but of course.

I get emotional with stuff my mom used to play and sing when I was a kid too - in her case, 70s calypso and the Harder They Come soundtrack. But there are exceptions - don't care about the Silly Sisters, nor the Beatles - their songs "came out of the fax machine" a long time ago and no amount of childhood exposure can overcome that. Not HATE though.
    Jimster

I’ve gone full circle with corny English Christmas songs and enjoy the classics now. The late ‘70s-mid’80s was the golden age.

I think the thing that keeps those tunes relevant are the memories of where you kept hearing them.  For me, "Stop The Cavalry" is the boss because of the Salvation Army band sections.  Reminds me of being outside Widn*s Hypermarket where the band were omnipresent during the festive season.  Wizzard's "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" reminds me of kids riding around on Raleigh Chopper bikes and sneaking glasses of Warnink's Advocat when my mum and dad would have a house party and be doing the conga.

They are the only two good ones for me.

Worst ones are "Last Christmas" (it's about a fucking breakup) and the fucking nail in the coffin... "Feed the World".  I mean, noble cause and all that, but it's unbearable to listen to for me.  Bono acting the fuck out of it...  Paul Young should have chinned him.

Duderonomy

Slade dude. Slade uber alles.

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Jimster said:
    I’ve gone full circle with corny English Christmas songs and enjoy the classics now. The late ‘70s-mid’80s was the golden age.

I think the thing that keeps those tunes relevant are the memories of where you kept hearing them.  For me, "Stop The Cavalry" is the boss because of the Salvation Army band sections.  Reminds me of being outside Widn*s Hypermarket where the band were omnipresent during the festive season.  Wizzard's "I Wish It Could Be Christmas Everyday" reminds me of kids riding around on Raleigh Chopper bikes and sneaking glasses of Warnink's Advocat when my mum and dad would have a house party and be doing the conga.

They are the only two good ones for me.

Worst ones are "Last Christmas" (it's about a fucking breakup) and the fucking nail in the coffin... "Feed the World".  I mean, noble cause and all that, but it's unbearable to listen to for me.  Bono acting the fuck out of it...  Paul Young should have chinned him.

When last Christmas comes on I always sing over it as follows (dad style):

"Last Christmas I gave you a fart

The very next day, the smell went away

This year to save you from tears

I'm giving it to somebody better"

Now I look forward to this song coming on.

Also I ride for Abba still.  Especially when I'm kinda drunk and then dancing queen comes on.  When I was in the Army me and some buddies used to watch Muriel's Wedding on repeat for some reason in the Barracks.  That, and that movie "Heavyweights" about the kids that go to fat camp.  We rented them from Blockbuster and decided to never return them. And we quoted it all the time. Especially Heavyweights.

Duderonomy

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I really don't like "Separate Ways" by Journey. My neighbor plays it sometimes when he lifts weights at 10 PM. And the video was corny as hell. 

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Electrode said:
    I really don't like "Separate Ways" by Journey. My neighbor plays it sometimes when he lifts weights at 10 PM. And the video was corny as hell. 

You should go lift with him, bro. 

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I don't hang with someone who screams at his mentally disabled mother and has buddies who set off fireworks in residential neighborhoods. And they play "Rock You Like A Hurricane" at top volume while doing so; fuck that.
    dizzybull

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    ketan said:
    SIR DUKE

Stevie Wonder is my main man - and there will be rivers of tears when he passes - but when mainstream radio inevtiably plays Sir Duke as a tribute, I will turn off the radio...

I don’t rate it much either. I think it’s the corny-to-my-ears intro that ruins it. However, this helped:

Duderonomyketan

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    Funny YT suggestion right after I copied the link above Quote: "Music that you hate..... in other  words: Music that makes you write paragraphs in Soulstrut comment sections"  LOL

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I like Ferrell but made it about 15 minutes before I had to turn Eurovision off. I probably dislike ABBA even more now.

Ah dude, I think it's one of his best - up there with Blades Of Glory (a camp comedy masterpiece).

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I on Eurovision

it was thoroughly enjoyable in a surprisingly sincere way. The whole crazy medley scene was like, they're not even trying to make fun of this, they're just really into this music. And apparently that was the dude from Downton Abbey actually doing all that ridiculous singing.

but I have a soft spot for idiotic comedies. And I've been wanting to rewatch the MacGruber movie.