Discogs

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
Are any of you avid Discogs users / buyers?    That place is a like a second home for me.  I've been looking for some people to commiserate with regarding the marketplace.  Sellers flooding the marketplace with their overpriced stock on the regular is my biggest pet peeve. pennyford!

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I haven't bought much off discogs but I used to sell on there semi-regularly when I was down in Brazil.

My biggest pet peeve was the feedback loop between sellers overpricing records on discogs and the shop owners who would then ask for some ridiculous price in their store because some douchebag decided they could post a $10 record on discogs for $100. I lost count of the number of times I had a conversation that went something like "Oh, but on discogs they're selling it for a $100" "Yeah dude, and the reason that listing is still up there is because it'll never sell for that price."

Duderonomy

• Beatnick DeeBeatnick Dee beatnickdee.com 71 Posts
    I'm on there pretty much everyday checking my want list lol - I'm always curious to hear how many records people have in theirs. I'm up to 1,500. Is that a lot?? 
    Like you guys both mentioned, it's also kinda fascinating to see the fluctuation of certain records, or something that is available from 5 different sellers for average going rate, but then there's a couple sellers trying to get an absolutely ridiculous price on for something *shrug*

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm on there pretty much everyday checking my want list lol - I'm always curious to hear how many records people have in theirs. I'm up to 1,500. Is that a lot?? 
    Like you guys both mentioned, it's also kinda fascinating to see the fluctuation of certain records, or something that is available from 5 different sellers for average going rate, but then there's a couple sellers trying to get an absolutely ridiculous price on for something *shrug*

I'm up to over 4,000 wants 

I scratch my head at how certain sellers make a living selling common titles for 4x the median (sedona-antiques is a seller that comes to mind).  I guess they pray on the gullible.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    I remember coming across Discogs when putting certain titles into google about fifteen years ago. Back then, it was a bit of a weird place because a lot of what interested me was not yet in the database and a lot of what was in it was managed by the every so fierce "Moderators" as they were called. Not sure whether everybody remembers how the database contribution system worked in the early days...
    I remember asking on a few forums back then (deepfunk.org, vinylvultures, and I think also here on Soulstrut) what people thought of Discogs and pretty much everybody's feedback was that Discogs was full of loonies and to be avoided.
    I then noticed that one of my pre-internet friends from back on the early 90s had not only contributed tons of his rare Funk 7" collection but had also achieved Moderator status for "Electronic", which was the category under which Boogie and Disco Funk had to be entered back in the days. (That's why you still at times come across titles with the Category "Electronic" though they are really not ....)
    He encouraged me to give it a try and help me get my submissions reviewed and approved. I started in 2007 and have submitted 1100+ titles, sold around 550+ and though I purchase rather regularly on Discogs, my 3000+ Wants list is more of a personal reminder than something that I would turn into orders, even if I won the lottery tomorrow.  https://www.discogs.com/user/Yemsky Having said that: Winning the lottery would possibly help paying for US shipping rates, 

my want list is at 300, and I think I've only ever bought 1 record off it from discogs. That will probably change soon though, shipping rates are much more reasonable being in LA now, even if it's something coming from Europe, and I won't be doing crazy digging like I used to do in Brazil.

But even with just 300 on my wants I still scratch my head when I look at it and wonder why I added some random shit on there 5 years ago.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I'm always kind of disheartened when I go on Discogs as prices just seem to go up and up. Like no deals are to be made, but I guess you have to check it every day to grab the dealz.

My big gripe is the seller that randomly prices some of their records super high (sometimes 10x the average selling price), and for some reason they sell sometimes which drives the median price up. Maybe the buyer wanted other records from the same seller that were cheap and decided to splurge without checking the average price on the one item, who knows. Also, can't buy from US sellers anymore because of the shipping costs, which sucks as a lot of the records on my wantlist are mostly from US artists.

Mondeyano said:
    I'm always kind of disheartened when I go on Discogs as prices just seem to go up and up. Like no deals are to be made, but I guess you have to check it every day to grab the dealz.

That was me for a lot of years.  I relied on the email that they sent out filled with random wants and never found anything reasonably priced.  I started getting in the habit of viewing the newest additions of wants in the marketplace about 10-20x per day.  That's when I would find deals and reasonable priced items.

eBay is so fucking dead.  I have an app that searches wants on a daily basis and it's the same overpriced fixed priced bullshit day in and day out.  If there happens to be a live auction, not a BIN, it's carolinasoul / paperstax / funkyou where shit goes massively overpriced.

Mondeyano

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    I have clicked on records I and seen that they are on the “soulstrut 100” list created by yemsky or on some cratedigger YouTube show list create by a user named soulstrut.....

I like the lists that have themes like “apples” or “smoking“ or “feet”. 

And then somebody named CrateGadsby (stupid pun but kind of funny I guess) has created this massive list of records with drum breaks. It’s so comprehensive that I’m surprised when I come across a record with a break that he doesn’t have on the list. 

Discogs is great for checking out stuff and creating want lists. Like Chico Hamilton has made lots of records, so many that it’s hard to know what’s good. But with Discogs you can sit down and just start listening. That how I found out about the “yellow record” which is a new favorite. I went to the record shop yesterday and bam, there it was:

I love the cover and the music inside is so cool. Cello! It’s like hybrid of classical and jazz, but not in a stupid way. Like a meditative jazz poem. I’ve never heard anything like it. It’s on Spotify if you want to to check it out. 

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    dizzybull said:
    [...] Discogs is great for checking out stuff and creating want lists. [...] But with Discogs you can sit down and just start listening.  

What is it with hundreds if not thousand of Discogs entries suddenly having a Youtube video linked to it from this channel?

https://www.youtube.com/c/DiggersParadise/videos

Is this an algorithmic creation to generate revenue from pre-roll advertising or is this account linked to Discogs themselves?

dizzybull said:
    [...] Like Chico Hamilton has made lots of records, so many that it’s hard to know what’s good. [...] That how I found out about the “yellow record” which is a new favorite. I went to the record shop yesterday and bam, there it was:

I love the cover and the music inside is so cool. 

Funny, I still haven't heard that Chico Hamilton record though I wrote a "review" on Discogs back in 2013 pointing out that its cover was the inspiration for this cover: https://www.discogs.com/master/view/115237

Yemsky said:
    dizzybull said:
    [...] Discogs is great for checking out stuff and creating want lists. [...] But with Discogs you can sit down and just start listening.  

What is it with hundreds if not thousand of Discogs entries suddenly having a Youtube video linked to it from this channel?

Is this an algorithmic creation to generate revenue from pre-roll advertising or is this account linked to Discogs themselves?

I would guess that’s someone independent of Discogs spamming the site to gain YouTube followers.  I would encourage users to edit the entry and remove his shit when they see it.  Not saying I have  

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    RAJ said:

I started getting in the habit of viewing the newest additions of wants in the marketplace about 10-20x per day. 

Ahh, under Items I Want on the Marketplace, Latest Additions! Never used that before, that's neat.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I'm on Discogs daily looking for deals. It requires some patience but deals pop up. The sellers with the "I don't want to sell this record but if someone gives me 1.5X the going rate I'll sell it" mentality is skewing the prices drastically. Fortunately Discogs also shows that average price that records are selling for. If buyers pay attention to the average maybe they won't overpay and drive the prices up. 

Over the past month I've started selling on Discogs. With the last two Austin Record Conventions being cancelled due to COVID-19 I figured I'd sell a few things. I don't really have time to list more or keep going to the post office regularly. I'm going to keep stockpiling for whenever the next ARC happens.

https://www.discogs.com/user/billb23
    RAJ

RAJ said:
    Yemsky said:
    dizzybull said:

I would guess that’s someone independent of Discogs spamming the site to gain YouTube followers.  I would encourage users to edit the entry and remove his shit when they see it.  Not saying I have  

it's not just some dude posting raers on youtube?

with the brazilian stuff on discogs, there are a few users who post tons of videos. Some are just DJs or collectors, but there are some sellers that put up obscure stuff, especially 7"s, just so you know what it sounds like. Some are like a quality stamp, like if you see there's a video from tropicaliadiscos or Bronco da Cuica you pretty much know that record is going to have some heat.

ppadilha said:
    RAJ said:
    Yemsky said:
    dizzybull said:

All the stuff he is posting are off comps that he probably downloaded off soulseek... most of the clips already exist on Youtube from people who burned it from the OG vinyl.  I'm guessing it's a blatant attempt to grow a Youtube channel.

If buyers pay attention to the average maybe they won't overpay and drive the prices up. 

This can be a double edged sword.  I added my collection into Discogs and it's fun to watch your collection value sky rocket through out the year.  Kinda like a stock portfolio.  It sucks if you are buying, though.  So many overpriced records in that marketplace.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    There were always sellers like that on eBay also. Those records mostly sit forever. The bad part is they keep showing up in the wants list email notifications.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    I'm on Discogs

Over the past month I've started selling on Discogs.

Are you deliberately not selling to the U.K. or is this a result of you struggling with the damn Shipping Policies user interface?

RAJ said:
    ppadilha said:
    RAJ said:
    Yemsky said:
    dizzybull said:
    [...].  

All the stuff he is posting are off comps that he probably downloaded off soulseek... most of the clips already exist on Youtube from people who burned it from the OG vinyl.  I'm guessing it's a blatant attempt to grow a Youtube channel.

But it’s clever as I think this is not manual work by a s/he but instead an efficiently written code which grabs the cover image from Discogs, edits it into the generic “crate digging” photo and then loads it with the MP3 sourced godknowswhere. Beyond my skills....

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    The price of vinyl is just silly now.

2 weeks ago, I bought an AOTN reissue of The Leaders - “(It’s a) Rat Race” and a copy of the Marker Starling 45. With shipping, it cost just shy of $60 CAD. Am I the crazy one who thinks $60 is too much for a couple of new 7” releases?

My buying has slowed down dramatically. I think there are still occasional deals on eBay and Discogs. But I spend way less time on it.

Yemsky said:
    I'm on Discogs

Over the past month I've started selling on Discogs.

Are you deliberately not selling to the U.K. or is this a result of you struggling with the damn Shipping Policies user interface?

I had temporarily stopped doing international sales due to the newly forced all formats shipping policy. Their editor is confusing at best. I just went back and re-enabled all of the international options that I support. Unfortunately, shipping internationally is really high right now due to COVID-19. 

para11ax said:
    The price of vinyl is just silly now.

2 weeks ago, I bought an AOTN reissue of The Leaders - “(It’s a) Rat Race” and a copy of the Marker Starling 45. With shipping, it cost just shy of $60 CAD. Am I the crazy one who thinks $60 is too much for a couple of new 7” releases?

My buying has slowed down dramatically. I think there are still occasional deals on eBay and Discogs. But I spend way less time on it.

I think it's a mixture of supply, demand, demographics, and maybe rising costs due to the Apollo Masters fire?  I just paid $60+ on a couple Japanese city pop reissues, recently.  The pressing and packaging are impeccable, but damn it hurts to spend that much on a new record considering 180 gram reissues were like $10 in the 2000s.

para11ax

• I have one example of a seller putting a ridiculous price on a discogs record that I fully approve of. An early Karl Hector/Poets of Rhythm promo 45, never been sold, no media price, the only copy for sale is up for like 1500 bucks and a note saying "why else would I ever sell this". I like the "extreme price to show how much you love the record and don't want to sell it" rationale for insano discogs pricing.
    YNOT

I have one example of a seller putting a ridiculous price on a discogs record that I fully approve of. An early Karl Hector/Poets of Rhythm promo 45, never been sold, no media price, the only copy for sale is up for like 1500 bucks and a note saying "why else would I ever sell this". I like the "extreme price to show how much you love the record and don't want to sell it" rationale for insano discogs pricing.

this dude from Porto Alegre once had an OG Krishnanda up for sale on discogs, you can look at at the sales history for reference:

https://www.discogs.com/Pedro-Santos-Krishnanda/release/5655369

except this dude's copy apparently was minty and signed by Pedro Santos himself. So dude listed it at something like US$5,000 with a note that claimed he really didn't want to sell the record. I guess he didn't?

That’s kind of like saying I don’t want somebody to F me in the A. But if I absolutely HAD to get F’d in the A, this is how much it would cost. Obviously there are factors. Is the “A” mint, or does it show signs of ring wear? Gonna spend money to press your privates into this private press. 
    para11axDuderonomy

• Beatnick DeeBeatnick Dee beatnickdee.com 71 Posts
    RAJ said:

eBay is so fucking dead.  I have an app that searches wants on a daily basis and it's the same overpriced fixed priced bullshit day in and day out.  If there happens to be a live auction, not a BIN, it's carolinasoul / paperstax / funkyou where shit goes massively overpriced.

Always wondered why this was. Pride of purchase? Reliability? Pure volume/always selling? Always see records go for 3-5 times what they usually do from those ebay sellers. I have won the occasional deal from them, however with some gospel stuff. 

• dizzybull said:
    That’s kind of like saying I don’t want somebody to F me in the A. But if I absolutely HAD to get F’d in the A, this is how much it would cost. Obviously there are factors. Is the “A” mint, or does it show signs of ring wear? Gonna spend money to press your privates into this private press. 

"ring wear"... where's ap when you need him

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    dizzybull said:

"ring wear"... where's ap when you need him

“ring wear” LOL!!

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    I knew we discussed this before...
    https://community.soulstrut.com/discussion/38554/discogs-heaven-or-hell#latest
    Funny opinion by the last post on that thread: GEMM is better than Discogs when it comes to selling. LOL

I’m curious if anyone scored some deals on the short lived Reverb LP.

"Some mobile devices will not allow playback until you first activate the YouTube player by tapping on it. If the video is not loading, refresh the page, then tap on the player."

Anybody else sick of having to click on this goddam message every few minutes?
    RAJketan

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I barely understand it and yeah, it’s the worst