Record Store Day 2020

dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
I've never been out on Record Store Day.  In fact I pretty much stopped buying records after my second kid.  The 'record room' became her room and my records got stored in boxes in the garage for a decade.  But now we got a new room addition and the raers (read: turds) have been dusted off and shown the love i could never show my real children (read: turds). Just kidding I love them.  My records I mean.

Anyways, its time to face the world.  Its time to face the record shops. I made a few coy dips onto discogs and it was nice.  But nothing like the real thing, baby. Nothing like supporting local shops instead of sending messages to random sellers on discogs asking if the have breakbeat fast and raer of DJ Leacy just to see if they are strutteurs.  So far I am not doing so well.  But I did click on a record and see that it was on a list that our own yemsky had made.  Something about the Soulstrut 100.  Whatever that is, amiright?

So it's tomorrow.  I'm a little nervous. I have money now. Time has gone by and I'm old now. I can afford to buy this shit I want.  I haven't smelled the weird thrift store smell in a long time (i listened to a podcast that said that smell is really just the smell of people's sweat and grime that can't be washed out of the old clothes they donated).  Tomorrow I face it.  That intimidating sight of row after row of records knowing deep down that i don't really know shit. I'm that dude that has to listen to each one because i don't have them all memorized. I don't know what's good!

Here is the thread.  Tomorrow I will report back. The first store opens at 8.  The second one at 9. My mind is telling me i'll be out at 8.  My 44 year old body that is drinking the local craft whisky (i told you, i buy real shit now - grown man Jay-z style) says I'll be lucky to make 9 o'clock.  If all goes well I won't cry in angry frustration.

POST YOUR FINDS HERE 

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    My local spot "cancelled" RSD. Whatever that means. Anyhow, wear the mask, wait until the door guy ushers you in and you are good to go. Then all the Crown, Somerset and Custom are yours for the taking.

• I would love nothing more than to help keep alive some of the shops I normally haunt - as a central Londoner I usually walk into Sounds of the Universe and other Soho places for my in-person records, despite the lack of bargains... I heard that like 60% of the West End hasn't paid rent this summer, so who knows who is surviving this.

BUT. I have a baby to look after all day every day. So it's all mail-order shit for me.

So thanks Electrode, billbradley and others for posting real-life finds for me to vicariously live until my life settles down and hopefully a store or two is still in business. And post up yer RSD shit dizzybull!
    ElectrodeDuderonomybillbradley

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Remember to box out to show dominance when you hit a new row!

I'm holed up in a pre-Confederation cabin near Lake Erie this weekend doing some writing, so not going out today, but on my way in yesterday, I picked up these three classics for a twenty at an antique shop.

I actually didn't have a copy of Meddle (or do I...) or Tres Hombres before.  I don't know why I keep buying copies of One when I haven't sold at a show in years.  Is that mean?

Electrode

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Nothing earth shattering but I was happy for my first trip out in a decade. In particular I was really happy to get the Howard Roberts record. And Tomita’s version of Claire de Lune is my favorite. And the Gary Burton record is mostly weirdo jazz but his version of Norwegian Wood is beautiful. And the Herbie Mann record doesn’t suck either, believe it or not. His version of “I’m coming home” is good. 

I probably spent more than I should have and there were a few duds (not pictured). One of those Timmy Digalot RULES- just because it has the word “soul” or “funky” does not mean it will have soul or be funky. Even if there are Afros on the cover. 
    ketanElectrodeDuderonomyRAJbillbradleyZaDougklezmer electro-thug beats

Nice.    The "sequel" to that Herbie Mann record (...Returns to the Village Gate) has one really solid side too (forget if it's A or B off hand!).

• Electrode said:
    Anyhow, wear the mask, wait until the door guy ushers you in and you are good to go.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEd9Cu-pCag/?igshid=1leacvgos06c8

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Ever since I started the live stream, I have been buying like crazy!  I used to be able to embed my instagram video flips on here, but it don't work no more and I am lazy to post pictures.

It's great to hear that you have the bug again Dizzy.  I too took a 5 year break from 2010-2015 and the landscape changed dramatically in that time. The hipster millennials brought back vinyl and the price and demand went through the roof.  Great for my Discogs collection portfolio bad for my pocketbook.  I suddenly had to be ok with shelling out for good shit instead of finding raers in flea markets on the cheap.

I do a hybrid of Discogs and real world digging ATM.  If you have a healthy wants list in Discogs and check the marketplace 20 / day like I do, deals can be had.  I'm still finding great shit for cheap.  It takes a lot more persistence but it does happen.
    billbradley

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    The thought of having to stand in line to buy some reissued records or RSD exclusives in order to support my favorite shops doesn't work well for me. I've always said "every day is record store day". This year was different though. Breakaway Records and End of an Ear here in Austin have had their doors closed for in-store shopping since March and are only doing online sales with shipping or curbside pickup. Up until this week I've never purchased a RSD release. With COVID-19 changing the game for the shops they have separated it over three release days. On the first release day I bought a 45 rare instead of a RSD release. On the second RSD release day I ended up buying a copy of Lee Field's Let's Get A Groove On (green splatter vinyl). I don't normally mess with reissues at all but wanted to support my friend's shop and figured the Lee Fields record would be a good listen all the way through. I shouldn't get mad at the RSD grip and flippers but it kind of takes away the point of supporting record shops. For example, the Tyler records sold out immediately and were posted up for $200 within an hour on Discogs. Can't knock the hustle I guess. I'm with Raj and have been buying on Discogs a lot and last week I posted records for sale for the first time on there. Time's sure have changed but I'll never stop diggin.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    ketan said:
    Remember to box out to show dominance when you hit a new row!

I'm holed up in a pre-Confederation cabin near Lake Erie this weekend doing some writing, so not going out today, but on my way in yesterday, I picked up these three classics for a twenty at an antique shop.

I actually didn't have a copy of Meddle (or do I...) or Tres Hombres before.  I don't know why I keep buying copies of One when I haven't sold at a show in years.  Is that mean?

LOL - my bowels hurt

• I love this Tomita’s too (s/o to my boy Baptiste for hooking me in a few years ago). I keep buying spares to gift friends when I find it.

• I shouldn't get mad at the RSD grip and flippers but it kind of takes away the point of supporting record shops. For example, the Tyler records sold out immediately and were posted up for $200 within an hour on Discogs. Can't knock the hustle I guess.

The flippig of a “Limited RSD Release” doesn’t always work

https://www.discogs.com/Pat-Thomas-3-Introduces-Marijata-Pat-Thomas-Introduces-Marijata/release/11886876 

100+ copies for sale on Discogs since RSD 2018. No (!) sale in 2019 

I am still trying to find a more hoarded RFSD release (and this one actually contains good music....)

Interestingly ten sales in 2020, but not a good ROI for anyone who stashed this away two years ago.

To be honest I didn’t really know what record store day really was. It wasn’t til I got there that I understood the concept of the limited release stuff. I didn’t buy any of those. I’m not against it, I just wasn’t interested. I’m all about those dollar bin super flute braekz. 

• The limited stuff is to attract the grippe-n-flippe, I think... I dunno, it's weird. Lots of shops have a RSD section where last year's (and older) chud ages like chalky doggshit. I think if you are actually into records and not /r/records it's pretty damn skippable, unless there's some live act at a store you wanna see. You made the right choice focusing on herbie mann et al - just a pity no Push Push with the golden backlit shoulder hair, the one ap said "he wanted to call it mannfinger but the label wouldnt let him".

The limited stuff is to attract the grippe-n-flippe, I think... I dunno, it's weird. Lots of shops have a RSD section where last year's (and older) chud ages like chalky doggshit. I think if you are actually into records and not /r/records it's pretty damn skippable, unless there's some live act at a store you wanna see. You made the right choice focusing on herbie mann et al - just a pity no Push Push with the golden backlit shoulder hair, the one ap said "he wanted to call it mannfinger but the label wouldnt let him".

Oh push push was there alright but there is some kind of latent subconscious homophobia that prevents me from looking directly at it. 

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts

anyone else think the woman on the mexican poster in the background looks like ::Salma Hayek::?

YemskyZaDougbillbradley

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Get Herbie Mann's "Wailing Dervishes", if you don't have it already. That's one of my favorites of his. It's live at the Village and has a version of "Norwegian Wood" too. 

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The Hook UP recreated the food spread and made a post about it years a go:

https://community.soulstrut.com/discussion/54723/the-tres-hombres-record-and-food-related/p1

• dizzybull said:

Oh push push was there alright but there is some kind of latent subconscious homophobia that prevents me from looking directly at it. 

So no Michael Henderson Slingshot hard filed?

dizzybull said:

So no Michael Henderson Slingshot hard filed?

Only a white label.