Re-sealed records?

I have run into a few 70's pressings at my local spot that are obviously re-sealed. They have cut corners or punch holes with the seal over them still intact. I'm not mad because they are good titles that I know and like. I'm sure the ones I picked up are not boots.

Anyone else encountered this? Is it a common thing these days? 

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    All That Music in El Paso, TX reseals almost everything.  I'd never seen anything like it. 

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    There was a shop in Houston that resealed records back in the late 80's early 90's. Most of the time the reseals were obvious though. The shrink wrap felt different or there was a seam in the middle of the back of the record where it overlapped.

• Wow. That's a fairly shoddy practice. Ok, so now I'm thinking that one or two of these might actually be the original seals because there is no seam down the middle back like on modern day stuff. And they are certainly clean and crispy enough to be new old stock. The cut outs obviously are re-seals, but I wonder if they are from record company or distributor storage of stuff they had to take back because they couldn't sell. In particular, the ones I got on the Inner City label, which used to do reissues in the 70s. Like I said I'm not mad, I always take the seal off anyway because I fear it's going to bend the cover.  

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Unsold stock with cut corners is pretty common. Those records would get sold off wholesale and then sold at a reduced price in shops.