New episode of “Vinyl on the Deck” (for the Do-Wop heads)

RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
edited August 2020 in Music

Comments

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    It seems like there aren't as many people buying Doo-Wop these days. Rockabilly and Northern Soul have large followings but there isn't a big Doo-Wop movement. I keep wondering if that'll ever happen. I have a bunch of doo-wop records that almost never get played now. I'll bring some to the Austin Record Convention but they mostly go unsold each time.

• my uneducated impression (i.e. never been to a record convention, don't have loads of collectro buddies) was always that doo-wop collecting was majority older-boomer kind of age dudes. is it kinda like beatles krust where the demographic will collapse over time and the values will dip?

somebody I know was talking about how certain non-record collector items seem to be slowly collapsing in value - she used the example of original Disney animation cels, which you'd think younger people would have some interest in since a lot of those movies are pretty timeless. apparently they're getting pretty cheap.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    my uneducated impression (i.e. never been to a record convention, don't have loads of collectro buddies) was always that doo-wop collecting was majority older-boomer kind of age dudes. is it kinda like beatles krust where the demographic will collapse over time and the values will dip?

somebody I know was talking about how certain non-record collector items seem to be slowly collapsing in value - she used the example of original Disney animation cels, which you'd think younger people would have some interest in since a lot of those movies are pretty timeless. apparently they're getting pretty cheap.

Someone commented to me that the doo-wop collectors are dying off. I guess there is some truth to that. Beatles seem to be more timeless. Generation after generation go through a phase where they enjoy some Beatles tracks. One of my 10 year old twins was humming a Beatles tune yesterday and I don't ever really play Beatles records at the house. The Beatles as a band they evolved through some different sounds so I can understand that. Doo-wop is doo-wop though. You either love it or hate it. I can enjoy Doo-Wop but I don't out of my way to listen to it.

• I'm the same, I think it's good music, but I don't seek out or buy doo-wop as I've never fallen in love with the genre itself.

I think the key for us “Krusty fans” is to try to at least make sure people get some exposure to actual Do-Wop— just solid vocal group R&B, not modern acapella group retreads or Sha Na Na. Anybody with a penchant for Soul, R&B, Blues, etc. can’t really go wrong with Do-Wop; it’s in their wheelhouse. They just have to discover it...

GJ
    Duderonomyklezmer electro-thug beats

• Yeah, that's me. It's in the neighborhood of loads of music I do like, but I haven't been struck with the bug yet.

PS— By the way, that last installment is a Jazz episode (George Shearing with the Montgomery Brothers)...

GJ

@RhythmGJ Do you have any Doo-Wop mixes posted up anywhere?

No, sorry. I’ll have to consider making one.

GJ