Anyone living in Japan? (I am)

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
Just wanted to connect with like-minded folks. 

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    What's up Yuichi!  It's nice to see you back on here again.  

Where are you in Japan?  I had an extensive Japan trip scheduled for last April that was sadly cancelled due to Corona.  I intend to visit next spring if all goes well. 

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Whatup Raj.  I'm right in the middle of it all, Tokyo....the clusterfuck lol  
    Word man.  If you ever need tips in Tokyo or have  time for a beer, hit me up anytime.  

I was also planning a rural tour with activities like fishing and nature walks, but I haven't been able to hook up with
    my tour guide in Iwate Prefecture (take pics for my website, etc.)  I'm gonna get back on it, as soon as Corona settles down...
    Electrode

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    My son just came back from a year in Okinawa.

My question is— Does anyone want to send me Jazz records from Japan?

GJ

• Jazz records only enter Japan... they don't come back. It's like a black hole, no jazz record escapes

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    RhythmGJ said:

My question is— Does anyone want to send me Jazz city pop records from Japan?

RAJ

• More on topic, this thread reminded me how much my partner and I both wanna go back... we had a really good trip last time where we went to some slightly less touristy areas along with a good few days in the big joints. We drove up the west coast, Yamaguchi and Shimane prefecture, across the interior to Kobe. Saw weird shit like a museum deep in the hills where a perfectly preserved ancient forest had been buried underground in a landslide or volcano, and this underground silo had been excavated around the massive tree trunks... a one man operation okonomiyaki place run by a guy who dresses as a samurai while at work and possibly also at home, if his insta is to be believed...
    Now how to plan a trip like that with a six month old!

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    I should have been flying to tokyo in a couple of weeks time but this coronavirus has put a stop to that :( 

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    More on topic, this thread reminded me how much my partner and I both wanna go back... we had a really good trip last time where we went to some slightly less touristy areas along with a good few days in the big joints. We drove up the west coast, Yamaguchi and Shimane prefecture, across the interior to Kobe. Saw weird shit like a museum deep in the hills where a perfectly preserved ancient forest had been buried underground in a landslide or volcano, and this underground silo had been excavated around the massive tree trunks... a one man operation okonomiyaki place run by a guy who dresses as a samurai while at work and possibly also at home, if his insta is to be believed...
    Now how to plan a trip like that with a six month old!

Same feelings. We were last in Japan in Oct. 2018. We took our little girl for her 1st birthday to visit family in Kanazawa. Japan does a really great job of making it pretty baby friendly throughout the country. The only time it was at all stressful is we once got caught on the subway transferring with some luggage during rush hour in Tokyo. We had set a rule before the trip that we would really slow things down and make sure not to try and do too much (As opposed to all other Japan trips where we always tried to do as much as possible).

We're hoping to go back when/if things go back to normal.

There's so many non-touristy places in Japan and I was actually in the midst of planning some tours (website and all), 
    and then Covid-19 hit.  So it's on hold at the moment, but one place is Iwate prefecture which is really dope.  So much nature
    and I was actually going to incorporate a lot of outdoor activities with my connects up there.

Shameless plug.  Website is still in the works, so I haven't even gotten started
    with building a following.  
    https://www.instagram.com/helloinaka/

shitty pic quality but a sample

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    yuichi said:

Shameless plug.  Website is still in the works, so I haven't even gotten started

Added. Good stuff. Always interested in peaceful & natural areas. When we were in Ishikawa we talked about heading up to Niigata area. Murakami looks like a great spot.

Whenever I go to Japan I say I got to spend more time in the countryside and less time in Disk Union, I fail every time  

Whenever I go to Japan I say I got to spend more time in the countryside and less time in Disk Union, I fail every time  

Hey man, Disc Union has heat for sure.  The problem with going to the countryside  is that there's a complete lack of information (i.e. Most Japanese can't speak English, much less make meaningful content or market to foreign visitors).  Thanks for the follow as well!  

DOR said:
    yuichi said:

Added. Good stuff. Always interested in peaceful & natural areas. When we were in Ishikawa we talked about heading up to Niigata area. Murakami looks like a great spot.

bwilliamp?  Thanks bro.  There is a ton of untapped nature. 

yooo, Murakami is highly recommended.  Some of the most beautiful sunsets EVER.  I wanna do a tour of that area as well in the future.  And very few tourists.  Known for its wild salmon runs and preserving that salmon in the most basic ingredients.  Supposedly super good.  The first 9 photos on my instagram are from Murakami. 

yuichi said:

Hey man, Disc Union has heat for sure.  The problem with going to the countryside  is that there's a complete lack of information (i.e. Most Japanese can't speak English, much less make meaningful content or market to foreign visitors).  Thanks for the follow as well!  

I'll probably be seeing a lot of the Japanese countryside in the future, my wife wants to return home (shes a Tokyo girl) so we are looking at Akiya properties, most of which are away from the big cities, which is cool as long as I can get to Tokyo in an hour or two by train. 

yuichi

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    I go to Japan from time to time. Last time I was there I watched Muro play records the night I landed. I was dead tired. I wore Herm’s endless flight t-shirt. I’ve had some great times in Tokyo. The best ones just seem to happen. Trying to plan a good time is hard, especially by yourself. I’ve got stories for days. I saw a band called Zombie Lolita that was insane (google them). 

dizzybull said:
    I go to Japan from time to time. Last time I was there I watched Muro play records the night I landed. I was dead tired. I wore Herm’s endless flight t-shirt. I’ve had some great times in Tokyo. The best ones just seem to happen. Trying to plan a good time is hard, especially by yourself. I’ve got stories for days. I saw a band called Zombie Lolita that was insane (google them). 

Yea Muro spins pretty frequently in Tokyo.  I caught him one time for free in the neighborhood.