New Music / Release Thread

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    ^ Nice evolving sound from Woolf

Did you see this article?  He really goes into specific about his techniques: https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3462
    Duderonomy

Not so new, but realised it hasn't been posted.

http://soundcloud.com/muramasamusic/move-me

Personally not enamoured with the lyrics, but the beat is  

Hadn't heard that (I live is a small bubble).  Nice.  I've heard the one with Rocky hadn't thought about checking for other stuff.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    ketan said:
    ^ Nice evolving sound from Woolf

Did you see this article?  He really goes into specific about his techniques: https://www.residentadvisor.net/features/3462

That’s a great read, but all of the kit he talks about makes me jealous!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I, for one, have been celebrating the return of jazz fusion

ketan

• That's a nice one! I am not schooled in jazz fusion at all but find the occasional track that tickles me e.g.

ketan

I ride hard for this record:

ketanfoe

The mixing is particularly nice on some of these.

• I never hear hype about ATA records but I really like their stuff (sorcerers especially, but they've got a lot of other groups and one-offs).

I am currently digging this very Ramsey-esque soul jazz album they've just put out:
    https://thelewisexpress.bandcamp.com/album/the-lewis-express

still on that new jazz tip, some afro-brazilian spiritual jazz that's kind of 

klezmer electro-thug beatsJimster

• J-Zone doing what he does well - I won't say best cause I like his rapping and production too. New 45.
    https://j-zone.bandcamp.com/album/the-du-rites-mad-dog-b-w-cheap-cologne-single

• a mocambo 45 release from a few months ago that I (and every source I look for news on releases of this nature) missed. I don't know quite what to call the genre but it's a bit budos-y, maybe?

ppadilhaklezmer electro-thug beats

Also, some interesting stuff on the Photonz album - there's not a full version of this online: https://www.facebook.com/DarkEntriesRecords/videos/photonz-xentra/444887089500878/ And this is another not-so-old one from them:
    lambo

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    New jazz on Impulse from Shabaka Hutchings and South African musicians with an out-there video to accompany it.

The new Khruangbin LP Mordecai is some downbeat fire.

EDIT: this band are definitely digguers, and the only thing that surprises me about them is that they haven't had some Madlib remixes yet.
    cove

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Electrode said:
    New jazz on Impulse from Shabaka Hutchings and South African musicians with an out-there video to accompany it.

season 7 mystery with a twist GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Music is nice, visuals are unsettling.  Not a marriage made in heaven.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

Just a heads up that it's Bandcamp Friday.
    Jimster

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

"rave hop"

dizzybullJimster

• Loose, raucous guitar fuzz funk from Misha Panfilov. In the single year of 2020 this guy has released like 5 or 6 LPs - all different projects. A movie soundtrack, a collaboration with Shawn Lee, a minimalist analog electronic album, a singles collection... a softer krautrocky album and the above. And 45s as well, including stuff not on the albums. He is psychotically productive. Here's another of the many:
    Duderonomyppadilha

That Sound Combo thing I really like, not sure he's really got the fuzz sound nailed though. Doesn't sound rich, rather a bit flat.

Two new Kahil El'Zabar releases in the last year - can't wait to dig into those.  I got to see him live bitd and he's really great.  Billy Bang is on some of it. 

The instrumentals disc of the new Adrianne Lenker album is stunning - both sides, in their own way.  I'm sure the songs disc is great too, I just can't get past flipping sides on the instros!

2020 was a great year for new music, right?
    Duderonomy

ketan said:

2020 was a great year for new music, right?

Yes, definitely, now you say that I'm thinking about compiling a best-of list, but I do almost all my purchases via bandcamp now and as I haven't bothered to set up a profile it's not so easy to see what I bought.

Think Covid definitely increased artist output this year, plus because there was no festival season, artists weren't holding back releases... all golden for the consumer... not sure how sympathetic I am about the arts world complaining that Covid will destroy them (potentially, yes, but many businesses are in the same boat) or the reaction to being asked to re-train to survive (which happened in the UK at least). Seems like common sense. Railing against this isn't just futile, but looks just a little entitled. Sorry to get sidetracked, difficult to keep Covid out of the conversation  

Been a great year for the hardcore continuum. Producers from all over the world have been experimenting with bass and jungle sounds at different tempos. A lot of good dark jungly uk garage. Subby ambient stuff. And of course the jungle revival hasn't slowed down. Coco Bryce (among others) putting out tunes as good as (if not better than) anything from the golden age.

Duderonomy said:
    Yes, definitely, now you say that I'm thinking about compiling a best-of list, but I do almost all my purchases via bandcamp now and as I haven't bothered to set up a profile it's not so easy to see what I bought.

If you register an account with the same email you've been using for your purchases, it will go back and pull everything you've ever bought into your "collection".  It's a bit of a trip when you first do that to go back and see all your purchases like that!

Duderonomy

Just heard a clip of an instrumental boom-bap project between Madlib & Four Tet.