"Take Me Away Fast" Voodoo Funk Documentary Related

marumaru 1,450 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
I've been waiting for this documentary for over a year now and apparently it is finally done. I backed it through kickstarted but never received my DVD copy. Was wondering if anyone's seen the film and what they thought. Here's the trailer:

Take Me Away Fast Documentary Trailer from Leigh Iacobucci on Vimeo.

Comments

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Jspr said:
    Looks good. Is it possible to order a copy without having backed it first?

Dunno. I would imagine so. You should contact the director Leigh.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    I think Frank fell behind with a few projects "to do some travelling". I guess that might mean more digging....
    But he's coming now with Marijata, Freedom Family and Gyedu Blay Ambolley's Simigwa reissues.

I guess the other Film those interested in the genre (the one by Raymond Dumas) never made it....
    I would love to see this as well

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I have the Take me Away Fast DVD, through backing it. It is great, just wish it was longer........ I don't believe that it is commercially available at this time.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    Yemsky said:

I guess the other Film those interested in the genre (the one by Raymond Dumas) never made it....

I just noticed that Frank and Raymond seem to have had a few conversations. See link below this you tube clip:

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    holmes said:
    I have the Take me Away Fast DVD, through backing it. It is great, just wish it was longer........ I don't believe that it is commercially available at this time.

how long is it?

45mins

Yemsky said:
    Yemsky said:

I just noticed that Frank and Raymond seem to have had a few conversations. See link below this you tube clip:
    this is alarming, i wonder if some legal stuff went down barring the use of the footage from other DVDs & if this has now thrown a spanner in the works....

• maru said:
    I backed it through kickstarter but never received my DVD copy.

ABUSE OF
    KICKSTARTER
    COMES AS
    NO SURPRISE

• Yemsky said:
    I think Frank fell behind with a few projects "to do some travelling". I guess that might mean more digging....
    But he's coming now with Marijata, Freedom Family and Gyedu Blay Ambolley's Simigwa reissues.

I would love to see this as well

What is the track he is playing on Reel at 2:45? That shit is unreal. Is it available in any format?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    This was never my project, I was just the subject of this documentary.

The film was finished months ago and I was told that all backers received their DVDs. Maru, I sent you the contact for the producer/director, I'm sure that she will sort you out.

The film was shown at two festivals, the Maine African Film Fest in Portland and at the Full Frame festival in Durham. I don't think that any further screenings are scheduled at this point.

I'm not sure if and when there will be a commercial DVD release. I hope that the film will sooner or later be available for free download somewhere...

Regarding the R. Dumas film, a few years ago, the film maker put up a website to collect funding for his movie, the visual material consisted of several hundreds of record cover scans that were all pulled from my site. There was not a single scan from any other source and every single last record scan I had ever put up on my blog had been used. I sent R. Dumas an email asking what was up with that and never received an answer. Then I looked at the video trailers on the site (the same two that are still up on YouTube). There was an interview with Tony Allen in Paris and one with Duncan in London that had been filmed by R. Dumas and then there was a lot of footage that had been pulled from various unrelated DVD releases (R. Dumas has never done any filming in Africa). Most notably there was footage from Ginger Baker In Africa, Konkombe and from various Fela DVDs. I informed the publishers of these DVDs and a week later R. Dumas' website was taken down.

a cool idea could be to include the Take me Away Fast DVD as a bonus disc with an upcoming CD/LP project?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    holmes said:
    a cool idea could be to include the Take me Away Fast DVD as a bonus disc with an upcoming CD/LP project?
    I thought about this a while back but then dismissed the idea for a variety of reasons...

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Somebody just asked me for a better version of this... never got a dvd though... Maru, Holmes, or anybody else who has one, if you could send me a rip it would be highly appreciated.

klezmer electro-thug beatsketandj_cityboy

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Dude, Frank's Afro Mix #6 - afro disco. The re-ish gods need to be placated.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Frank said:
    Somebody just asked me for a better version of this... never got a dvd though... Maru, Holmes, or anybody else who has one, if you could send me a rip it would be highly appreciated.

Hey Frank, good to see you around.

• I know I saw it on youtube ages ago... it must've been this spanish subbed one though. Great movie.