KOBE

JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
Wow.  That's a harsh one.
Gutted.  Was a pleasure to watch him.

Comments

• I mean he was a hell of a player but I do wonder if any of the obits are gonna mention the rape scandal...

ok that's harsh when he's just died, I admit

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I read on Wiki:"The helicopter...circled over Glendale during the flight."

So that's what woke me this morning. I headed out to fish soon after and I noticed the "fog" was disgusting today. It notoriously gets thick around the mountains in Calabasas suddenly under the right conditions and leads to many traffic accidents. I've never been a basketball guy, but my brother and coworker (who collects shoes like we collect records) are torn up. Rest in peace to the other eight who died too.

• Okay in the cold light of day, one of his daughters was on board with him and stuff, I retract my edgelord post by 80%

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I thought, at the time (2003) that, as the girl involved settled out of court, it was "He says/She $ay$..." - I read through her precise account for the first time yesterday and - certainly he's a douche (married at the time) - but she knew who he was and his domestic situation and still went back to his room and seems like flirted with him all the way before.  But no means no, so Imma leave it to the judge and the fact she settled.

Mike Tyson wasn't so lucky.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    My co-worker just said this to my grad student (and esteemed colleague): "It all begs the question if we can ever be redeemed from our past sins, and if folks are saying no he (Kobe) cannot be then none of us can and we are all fucked I guess."    

There's past sins, and then there's what he did.  Here's what I know:
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-bryants-disturbing-rape-case-the-dna-evidence-the-accusers-story-and-the-half-confession

"If she were my daughter, I'd ..."
    Duderonomy

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Rich people and light aircraft :eye roll:

• I know! God damn. Never get into a helicopter. Or I guess never get so rich you think helicopters are a worthy investment as pleasure craft or worse, commuter craft. Helicopters crash so fucking much. I rode one twice, both times for work reasons, and intend not to again. Stevie Ray Vaughn-ass, Colin McRae-ass, Kobe-ass devices, helicopters.

I'm wary.  Fortunately in my role as broke middle aged dad job slave, I have plenty of opportunity to decline helicopter rides.

I did a couple of parachute jumps years ago and they always use old Cessnas with millions of hours on the frame and a fresh air gap around the doors.  And you know if everything failed, gliding was going to get you down slowly and give you a good chance.

Plus you've got a fucking chute on your back.

Choppers, not so much.

Also that Leicester City owner and bad hand at Scrabble, Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha - man's ride didn't make it past the stadium car park... 

RIP to them and the regular folks who perished alongside them.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Jimster said:
    There's past sins, and then there's what he did.  Here's what I know:
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-bryants-disturbing-rape-case-the-dna-evidence-the-accusers-story-and-the-half-confession

"If she were my daughter, I'd ..."

Yeah, I mean bitd, I hated Kobe for this - I think his side of the story is important to hear but I believed her then and now

But still.  People can make amends and do great things with their life.  And transcend their original issues?

I guess I'm most interested in what his victim is feeling about his death.  But that's none of my biz.