dumb accidental shit you do to your records

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited September 2005 in Record Collecting

my clumsy ass spilled pineapple juice on a stack of about 20 today. it was mostly 12"s, which weren't a problem. i just got em out and threw into other plain sleeves. but these took some work

gal was salvaged (thank god). but i think danger zone and free your mind might be added to the next missing sleeves thread. we'll see how they dry.

Comments

• awallawall 673 Posts
    plastic sleeves

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    throw my headphones on top of unsleeved ones

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    this post makes me uncomfortable.

• trying to fix a split seam with super glue, and the seam sticking to the record, and leaving weird warps on the lp.Of course its on a record that took me ages to track down.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Just use that strong clear tape.

• my cat loves water. if you leave a glass out or anything hes gonna dump it over if he cant get his fat tongue in there. i used to have my computer in the living room next to the dining table. i was working on ebay, scanning etc. and apparently left a half way full bottle of water on the table next to a stack of records i was getting ready to sell. i came home one day and he had knocked it over on the table spilling it everywhere. only a couple of records got wet. on the bottom of that stack was that fuckin deep puddle dynamics piece of crap sealed. at the time it was hovering around 60 bucks, i bet i could have gotten more since it was sealed. anyways, i had to open it up because it was just soaked. sealed aint water proof obviously. turned out good because i traded it and bunch of other sealed anticon shit to a homie where i got a bunch of stuff that i wanted anyway.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I had this super duper cleaner that works on any surface once and poured some on a record to clean it with that had gotten pretty dirty while out deejaying. It wasn't a super rare one but one that is somewhat hard to find. I poured this cleaner on and went to wipe it off and it literally ate the record and I wiped the vinyl into it self and it dryed and was all smuged together with dirt and lint in the grooves. Safe to say I learned my lesson. After a few years later I located an additional copy.

• uh... rolling an office chair over a 45 after a particularly messy mix session

trying to scrape off a piece of dirt with my fingernail and making a skip (i bite my nails, so they can be a little uneven)

when I was much younger I left my peachfuzz 12" in the sun...

wait that doesn't sound right

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    nothing too bad has happened yet but occasionally i'll drop a record just as im putting it on the turntable...

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    nothin that bad has happened to any of my records yet either.....knock on wood. but i have records stacked up at the base of my expedit and my dogs have been making it a habit to sleep directly adjacent to them with their bodies pressed on them, im always scared they're gonna fuck the covers up

• Oh shit a bottle of cleaning fluid spilled all over some records in the trunk. Of course didn't damage the records but the jackets were mad waterlogged. Shit was weak

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    a few weeks ago i saw a collection in a shared record/bird room where dudes birds were eating at his shelves and some of the sleeves.

• a shared record/bird room

a-HA! Forget IKEA - the secret to record storage, revealed.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I have snapped a couple of rare 45's in half while cleaning them in the sink...

I step on records all the time in my room, although a recent reorganization has all but ended that habit.

I had a portable that would do this horrible thing where, at the end of the side, it would drag the needle back across the record, like gouge the vinyl...once my receiver blew and I only had the portable, so I would use it and "remember" to lift the needle before the side ran out...of course, I forgot to do that enough times to put some serious scratches in a few records...ugh.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i was trying to unwarp a record by hand one time and it just snapped in half

• i was trying to unwarp a record by hand one time and it just snapped in half

I've done that once or twice.

The main thing I have done is had children. Not so much now, but when my son was 1 - 2 (and my collection much smaller, and located in crates on the floor) he used to sneak and pull them out and then end up dumping the records out of the sleeves and, of course, fondling them.

That was when I started reversing all my records so the inner sleeve pointed in toward the seam of the cover, and then the plastic sleeves open toward the top of the cover.

• i just recently accidentally budged the needle while "the lovers" from les mccann's "invitation to openess" was playing, and completely fucked up the first couple minute intro, which is incidentally my favorite part. not that it's a rare record, just sucks...

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Last year I picked up a stack of 50 or so 45s, thumbs on top and fingers below, heard a distinct snap. There goes my Lee Dorsey Four Corners. Oi Vay.

• Testing the limits of dynaflex

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    i just recently accidentally budged the needle while "the lovers" from les mccann's "invitation to openess" was playing, and completely fucked up the first couple minute intro, which is incidentally my favorite part. not that it's a rare record, just sucks...

PM Reynaldo, he has like 18 copies of that record no joke.

• i just recently accidentally budged the needle while "the lovers" from les mccann's "invitation to openess" was playing, and completely fucked up the first couple minute intro, which is incidentally my favorite part. not that it's a rare record, just sucks...

PM Reynaldo, he has like 18 copies of that record no joke.

Where are those damn pics

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    hahahah

• Testing the limits of dynaflex

its unavoidable isn't it? kinda like when your a kid and had a wiggly tooth - you know if you touch it its going to hurt but you need to know how close it is to coming out.

• pacmanpacman 1,113 Posts
    uh... rolling an office chair over a 45 after a particularly messy mix session

Yup.

• I found a pile of really good records in Prague while visiting family. It was all obscure stuff. I slept in my nephews room and the kid had a toy record player. It was a cheap eastern european thing. I would be there for 2 months and after a while I had to know the heat on the records. So one night when comming home drunk, I started to check out some of the stuff and slow witted as I was ruined some of them. I just couldn't stand looking at those mad covers and not knowing what was on them. You must feel the dilemma.

Edit: okay, the subject is "accidental shit". This is not accidental. This is deliberate record torture.

• my cat loves water. if you leave a glass out or anything hes gonna dump it over if he cant get his fat tongue in there. i used to have my computer in the living room next to the dining table. i was working on ebay, scanning etc. and apparently left a half way full bottle of water on the table next to a stack of records i was getting ready to sell. i came home one day and he had knocked it over on the table spilling it everywhere. only a couple of records got wet. on the bottom of that stack was that fuckin deep puddle dynamics piece of crap sealed. at the time it was hovering around 60 bucks, i bet i could have gotten more since it was sealed. anyways, i had to open it up because it was just soaked. sealed aint water proof obviously. turned out good because i traded it and bunch of other sealed anticon shit to a homie where i got a bunch of stuff that i wanted anyway.

My cats are not alowed near my records.

i was trying to unwarp a record by hand one time and it just snapped in half

I have done this a couple of times too.

• got drunk while bringing one home one night in my bag and cracked it clean in half.

a brand new miles davis blue note 10" in mint condition, I took it out to play it and dropped it. It slid along the table corner and gouged the entire B side. Before I ever got to even play it once. All I could do was just stand there and stare at it for like 2 minutes. It plays fine, but I never play it because it hurts too much to look at it.

Too many memories.

• When I was back at my parents place I leaned my stacks up against a baseboard heater. Pops was cold, so he turned up the heat. Melted about 10 records, including Ann Peebles "Straight From the Heart".

Just the other day I returned from a long trip to find that somebody had spilled stain all over my records. Thankfully it didn't penetrated the plastic. Still, got some drips on Charles Kynard "Your Mama Don't Dance" and Don Hysear Walker's "Expressions".

Also recently put a scratch in Bonnie Dobson's "Good Morning Rain."

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    i have a tendency to hit the tonearm weight and the whole tonearm and needle do that violent "bounce & scratch"...usually ending with a bad scratch on the record...

...but sometimes ending with the even less desirable needle on the dotted platter edge.

• I tried using butter rugs for a bit. I pulled a record off and put another one on. I noticed something didn't feel right. The butter rug stuck to the record I had just pulled off. Destroyed the b-side.