Small wins

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    JectWon said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    herbacios tweed said:
    GatorToof said:
    That guy who ate 12,150 cups of chocolate pudding in one day in order to recieve 1,215,000 frequent flyer miles has this thread on lock.

Man, that must have been delicious.

who the what?

That's pretty fucking bananas.

Our IT guy here at work managed to fly damn near around the world for a couple hundred bucks out-of-pocket by rocking one of those credit cards that gives you bonus miles for signing up and per use. He basically used that card to pay for everything except his rent, made sure he paid his balance off, and stacked miles like crazy.

My wife and I have been rocking this 'win' for years now. You have to be a legendary 'hole in the wall' food destination to warrant us paying cash. I probably use cash approximately 10 times a year (liberal guess)....hell even my barber has the square app on his phone so I can pay with a card and tip extra for the charge he incurs.

Mortgage? Car payments? Dinners? Records? Everything? All on the credit card.

Miles for days, whaodie. So far this has gotten us round trip tickets to hawaii twice, a round trip ticket for me to Vietnam, countless free hotels, etc.

And we (thanks to my wife's amazing book keeping/bill paying) haven't had to pay one penny in credit card interest.

Credit cards companies hate customers like us...they literally call our type of credit card user a 'dead beat'. Fuck em' all...use them relentlessly, it's easy and worth it....nothing feels better than booking an airline ticket with money that isn't yours....legally.

Jugaaaaaaaaaad

Goddamn yes.

• i swear i can make the very end of a tube of toothpaste last about a month now.

• bassie said:
    Yesterday, I became a first-time aunt to a nephew. He is beautiful and it feels like a rather big small win for all of us.
    (Other people's) Babies! Hurrah!

I would call that a straight big win. Congrats.

• JectWon said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    I'd order a specialty pizza from Pizza Hut and have it delivered to the house. Once it arrives, I'd eat a slice or two and then call up the place and say, "I asked for extra cheese and it doesn't seem like extra was added..." They say, "Well sir, we can either give you a voucher for a pizza later or we can make you another one." I choose another pizza.. two for the price of one...

Dude...duuuuude. That second pizza has more than extra cheese. It ain't worth it.

EDIT: Btw, I fucking love this thread. Thanks to Skel for thinking it up.

Ohhh, I know it's a bit risque' and I thoroughly examine when part 2 arrives...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    JectWon said:

And we (thanks to my wife's amazing book keeping/bill paying) haven't had to pay one penny in credit card interest.

That's the key right there, isn't it? You really have to stay on top of that shit. I guess a lot of those cards have the downside of higher-than-usual interest rates? But when our IT guy was relating his story, he stressed how important it was to pay your balance every month. Like, don't go ballin' out with the card and buy shit that you ordinarily wouldn't buy just to stack up miles; just use it as a replacement for cash/debit cards for everything you possibly can, then pay the bill.

I kinda want to start doing this, but I need some things to settle down first. Maybe later this year....

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    JectWon said:

That's the key right there, isn't it? You really have to stay on top of that shit. I guess a lot of those cards have the downside of higher-than-usual interest rates? But when our IT guy was relating his story, he stressed how important it was to pay your balance every month. Like, don't go ballin' out with the card and buy shit that you ordinarily wouldn't buy just to stack up miles; just use it as a replacement for cash/debit cards for everything you possibly can, then pay the bill.

I kinda want to start doing this, but I need some things to settle down first. Maybe later this year....

it is the key. If you don't pay it off, in full, at the end of the month...it doesn't work.

I literally look at the card like a debit card...NOT a line of credit.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    JectWon said:
    DJ_Enki said:
    herbacios tweed said:
    GatorToof said:
    That guy who ate 12,150 cups of chocolate pudding in one day in order to recieve 1,215,000 frequent flyer miles has this thread on lock.

Man, that must have been delicious.

who the what?

That's pretty fucking bananas.

Our IT guy here at work managed to fly damn near around the world for a couple hundred bucks out-of-pocket by rocking one of those credit cards that gives you bonus miles for signing up and per use. He basically used that card to pay for everything except his rent, made sure he paid his balance off, and stacked miles like crazy.

My wife and I have been rocking this 'win' for years now. You have to be a legendary 'hole in the wall' food destination to warrant us paying cash. I probably use cash approximately 10 times a year (liberal guess)....hell even my barber has the square app on his phone so I can pay with a card and tip extra for the charge he incurs.

Mortgage? Car payments? Dinners? Records? Everything? All on the credit card.

Miles for days, whaodie. So far this has gotten us round trip tickets to hawaii twice, a round trip ticket for me to Vietnam, countless free hotels, etc.

Credit cards companies hate customers like us...they literally call our type of credit card user a 'dead beat'. Fuck em' all...use them relentlessly, it's easy and worth it....nothing feels better than booking an airline ticket with money that isn't yours....legally.

Jugaaaaaaaaaad

And the coolest thing is you can get more miles by flying on those free flights. A flight to Vietnam (using your example) would get you a free flight to the Caribbean or Mexico, in turn. Just did this on American Airlines and am planning a trip to the French Caribbean now...

• Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    Went to throw away an empty bag of tropical skittles and found a 20 dollar bill on the ground next to the trashcan.

I will only consider this a win if, upon seeing the money, you said "taste the rainbow motherfucker!"

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    Went to throw away an empty bag of tropical skittles and found a 20 dollar bill on the ground next to the trashcan.

I will only consider this a win if, upon seeing the money, you said "taste the rainbow motherfucker!"

EDIT: Can't get this to embed: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=474624655932763

• BallzDeep said:
    i swear i can make the very end of a tube of toothpaste last about a month now.
    Yeah, I have good luck with this too. Not quite a months good luck, but still good. The 'push up on right/left side under the cap' works well to keep the toothpaste flowing for another week or two.

skel said:
    Gaming the system.
    Finessing life.
    In India they call if 'jugaad'.

Today, on the escalator into work, the nice, soft brushes on either side cleaned my shoes of snow and grit
    Useless time converted to a money-saving win.

Someone's biting your style....

• I was in Vegas about a decade ago, playing Blackjack at Slots-Of-Fun, sitting in the number one seat... when I realized I could see the dealers hole card. Damn right I bumped my bet up to $2

J i m s t e r said:

Sweet fuck...how did I miss this thing of beauty?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I went out for burgers with a friend who has this things where he can't really eat bread. He order a burger with truffle mayo, took out the top half of the bread and proceeded to dip his fries all over the mayo. He looked at me and said, "free truffle fries!"

All I could think was, "JUGAAAAAAAD"
    SPlDEYElectrode

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I don't know about y'all, but personally I prefer to pee outside. I never wait in line for the Men's room. I never go inside a porta-potty. Fuck that, I refuse.

I do it so often now that I've become a masterful phantom pisser. You could be standing right next to me and have no idea I'm pissing. 

I've had some profound moments while urinating and looking up at the stars. Try this, wait until the house asleep and go piss on the front lawn. Thank me later.

Also, I never sit down to pee.  I stand up and piss off the side of a motherfucking mountain as god intended. 

- Diego

• I'm standin next to a mountain... chop it down with the stream of my piss

I think anybody who's worked outside has had your realization. I've got family who choose some wild pissing spots. I myself am slightly more careful about who might come around the corner or whatever and see my junk, but I agree that outside is the way to go when possible. I have also borne witness to this technique: walk up to a payphone, put the phone to your ear, face the box, and start surreptitiously pissing. You're just making a call!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    What are we, barbarians?

I can ride for a discreet outside pee, but in a phonebox?  

Are you the hobo jacking off in a dumpster? 

Jimster said:
    What are we, barbarians?

I can ride for a discreet outside pee, but in a phonebox?  

Are you the hobo jacking off in a dumpster? 

why are you looking for hobos jacking off inside dumpsters?

• We're not talking phone boxes like in the UK, we're talking those open to the street, free standing ones in the US. This kind of thing:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_booth#/media/File:Phone_booth_in_North_Carolina.jpg
    To be fair, they're probably rarer now to the point where a secluded one might be harder to find. I myself have never partaken. But I'm OK with a little barbarism. We live in cities, people are everywhere, piss is everywhere.
    Electrode

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    "It's bigger on the inside!"

I'm all about the ninja style sneak leak. Done it many times pier fishing at the beach. That in itself is a win. Pier fishing, that is: no license and then food and bait for days if you get the tides right for the five bucks worth of tackle. That said, public urination has its risks. No way am I catching a court case for "exposing myself" within such-and-such distance of "a school". I've heard horror stories from a guy who's only crime was that he couldn't hold his bladder in the vicinity of a trade college at 2 AM. Stay vigilant, whizzers.

I remember when pay phones fell into disuse in NYC, there wasn't a single one that didn't smell like piss.

I guess the stealthy wizz in the phone booth is still better than the lady I once saw on the Upper West Side (Broadway & 74th, to be exact) who was crouching behind a phone booth and leaning against a car, pants down to her ankles, taking a massive dump in broad daylight. At least it made for a good story when I got back from my lunch break.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Electrode said:

I'm all about the ninja style sneak leak. Done it many times pier fishing at the beach. That in itself is a win. Pier fishing, that is: no license and then food and bait for days if you get the tides right for the five bucks worth of tackle. That said, public urination has its risks. No way am I catching a court case for "exposing myself" within such-and-such distance of "a school". I've heard horror stories from a guy who's only crime was that he couldn't hold his bladder in the vicinity of a trade college at 2 AM. Stay vigilant, whizzers.

Ninja style sneak leak!! 

- spidey

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    ppadilha said:

I'd have been quiet about this, before the park change the rules like the killjoys they possibly are.

I always remember this article as a cautionary tale to not flaunt my gift...  Happy to listen to views on who was the A-hole, him or AA?

"My dad was one of the only people with a good-for-life, go-anywhere American Airlines pass. This is the true story of having – and losing – a superpower" : https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/sep/19/american-airlines-aairpass-golden-ticket

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    That golden ticket dude was taking advantage of AA. I think AA could have handled it differently though.

Somewhat related, when I was younger I was able to fly anywhere in the continental US for free on standby because my mom worked for an airline and I was on her buddy passes. The only downside was that when flying standby you can only get on the flight if there is an open seat. My mom had lots of seniority and when I flew it was under her pass classification and seniority level. I'd show up and bump all of the other standby passengers down the list most of the time and if there was only one open seat I'd usually get it. Every once in a while I'd get stuck in another city because the flights were booked full but the risk was worth it getting to travel a lot. I used to fly all over the country and go to raves in different states. DJ friends and promotors were always happy that someone was coming from out of state to go to their party and would usually pick me up at the airport and give me a place to stay. Those were fun times. 
    ketanJimsterElectrodecove

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    And I thought I was lucky because Dad had the yellow seat and dugout Dodger game hookup as a kid. When a classmate taught me how to make free long distance payphone calls, I felt like such a badass. These days, simple pleasures like using off-ramp lanes to cut through a quarter mile worth of traffic gives me the feeling like I'm getting over.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Electrode said:
     These days, simple pleasures like using off-ramp lanes to cut through a quarter mile worth of traffic gives me the feeling like I'm getting over.

Flashbacks to me heading back to downtown on the 10 East...

Electrode

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    That golden ticket dude was taking advantage of AA. I think AA could have handled it differently though.

I feel little sympathy for a guy/family that can say "unlimited air travel was my identity" with a straight face. AA could've settled more amicably, but when you get details like dude booking extra empty seats because... well, he obviously didn't feel like he should have to sit next to somebody else, nah dude. You f'd up.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

I feel little sympathy for a guy/family that can say "unlimited air travel was my identity" with a straight face. AA could've settled more amicably, but when you get details like dude booking extra empty seats because... well, he obviously didn't feel like he should have to sit next to somebody else, nah dude. You f'd up.

Exactly. That's some entitled asshole bullshit. He was like, Yo-Yo Ma flew with his cello in the seat next to him, I should be able to book an extra seat if I want.

Duderonomy