Jesus is King

No real surprise this is hot garbage. The audio equivalent of your high school friend who drank non stop and constantly made and ass of him self but “found Jesus” in his late 30s and now won’t shut up on face book about his savior. 

I’ve bought most of his stuff and even enjoyed “I Love It” for the beat and pure silliness but JiK is a hard pass. 

Comments

• yeah kanye forgot that being boring as fuck is a cardinal sin. keep this on faith AM

• OK that was harsh. But I don't like it

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    His Tr*mp endorsement welded-shut the door on any engagement I would offer him.  There might or might not be a banger in his repertoire but I'm good.  Soooo much other stuff to listen to. 

FWIW I have no problem with folks finding religion, as long as it's not the kind that makes you nuts.

• I feel like a couple years ago my not-even-paying-attention uneducated guess about where Kanye would go next would've been "he'll probably find Christ and make a really simple-simon "jesus is the best" type album"

edit: but I should recognize that he's got bipolar disorder and is off his medication for this one so maybe it's unfair to judge his character over his boring album

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Just gave it listen. He’s no Frank Ocean but I didn’t find it boring. Same lane as Scum Fuck Flower Boy from a couple years back. Shout out to Budgie for the co-prod on Every Hour. He and Alc had done a lot of great gospel beats in recent yrs, so was curious to hear this. Feeling Kanye’s singing on God Is. I also like that I can actually play my kids some Kanye. The last few albums sound great but were really hard to take lyrically at times (a lot). Nice that he sampled some Haack on Water: I kinda hate religion but I don’t mind if someone finds God and makes a concept album. Even if they’re libertarian! (I can’t hang with his politics.)

Even if they’re libertarian! (I can’t hang with his politics.)

I should clarify that I think there are good reasons to be libertarian in America, esp if you're part of a group being structurally f'd over. But I think allying with Trump as uncritically as he has is gross. Gave the album another listen and I still like a lot of the music but it does get a bit corny at times (see: Selah, Kenny G). Water is really a great song - Ant Clemons and that bassline could just go on and on with a bit of choir every now and again. Some of the Sunday Service stuff is great - haven't listened to it all yet/might not make it through all of it. This is a nice compliment to the Lauryn Hill version: https://streamable.com/iauej Ghost Town/070 Shake around 4mins: Who here will vindicate Kenny G with some raer:

I remarked to the one MCCOY in another universe about it being soooo easy to hatt upon the one G but his stuff with Jeff Lorber, early 80s when he was the one GORELICK, was pretty tight, in that "No, press some more floors, I want to hear more of this here muzak" sphere.

RHKTD.

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    The album is so bad it has me questioning my faith but I would like to hear David Crosby's honest attempt to spit fire over the "Follow God" beat.

Croz is still dropping heat - he would come up with something