Need Help With Stax Breaks

2»

Comments

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

But if this is Ultraman from Dark Sun Riders then it'd be nice to think the Strut would know better than to treat them like a 15 year old who just got into digging.

times a gazillion

years of spent digging and making beats > number of posts on the strut

• Just got lucky enough to be able to utilize the whole stax catalog..I know that this is a far fetched hope but does anyone out there, have a list of joints from that label..One hand washes the other help me out and Ill do the same in return..Peace to all the Strutters out there..One Ultraman...

the intro for carla thomas 'precious memories' is crying out to be looped up

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    the box sets are in no way complete...

Which sorta makes sense for the second and third boxes...Stax diversified in so many areas by then that it wouldn't sound right to have, say, Isaac Hayes followed up by, say, Lena Zavaroni or some country singer, so a lot of the non-soul stuff had to go.

But then again, there is a Carla Thomas 45 from 1970 that didn't make it (this single sucks, BTW, but STILL), and I don't think the Round Robin Monopoly was included on box #3 (does someone else have the rights? are they a white rock band who just happened to lean towards funk?).

the first one even omits a couple dumb-rare volt releases (Sir Issac and the Doo-Dads for example)

I was once talking about that first box with Billy from Norton Records, and he was pissed that it didn't include any of Stax's stupid-rare rockabilly sides like Don Willis' "Warrior Sam" (back when Stax was still called Satellite).

In reality the history of Stax & it's licensing is such a frickin mess it's no wonder they missed some stuff out. All that super early stuff from the first incarnation of Satellite (pre that Veltones 45) may not even be included in any of the licenses as well. Or maybe they just didn't want to include it because they weren't R&B sides & being from 58 they fall outside the box sets 59- timeframe. With the Round Robin stuff I maybe read somewhere that they were brought in throug a licensing deal so maybe Stax didn't own that stuff either, or it could just be another ommission. Really it's anybody's guess.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Anyone own the Bear Family's "Complete Satellite Records" comp?

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    the strut's gone soft

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    the strut's gone soft

where'd THIS come from?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    the strut's gone soft

where'd THIS come from?

He was saying that the OLD Strut would have clowned the poster thusly:

Any respectable digger should know whats hot on stax so id reccomend the op do a little homework first. Im not gonna throw the boz at you completely but i mean come on.

[bigdude]Exactly. It's like asking what Motown joints "have it going on." Veritably the entire Stax and subs catalogue is available to purchase, check out at the local library, or illegally download literally right now. I've always believed that the best Hip-Hop productions come from cats who have done their OWN homework and know the sound they want based on their OWN tastes. Shortcuts are usually not recipes for success in the music world.

Where to start with Stax? Try the library. That's where I started. Call me a dick. Hell: people cannot possibly respect certain music if they don't even know the folks who played it or care to find out on their own time. Who was Al Jackson? Who was David Porter? Who was Al Bell? Who was Lena Zavaroni?

Stax was a remarkably consistent label. Anyone who knows how to use the internet can find out about the three volumes and 27 discs that amass most of the Stax/Volt singles. Really, though,

[/bigdude]

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    haha wow what would we do without the big dudes.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    wow what would we do without the big dudes.

[bigdude]Says Mr. No Posts.[/bigdude]

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Hey: this asshole stuff is fun.

• rascmonrascmon 441 Posts
    wow what would we do without the big dudes.

[bigdude]Says Mr. No Posts.[/bigdude]

YOU'LL BE HEARING ABOUT THIS ON MY MP3 BLOG

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    haha wow what would we do without the big dudes.
    talk/argue about politics & shoes instead of records, oh wait...

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    That Lena Zevaroni lp has to be the most un-Staxlike thing ever pressed! Yes I know they released some country stuff etc, but she's on another level. 
    Round Robin Monopoly was a waste of $25, one good song on the lp and that was "life is funky"

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    djtopcat said:
    That Lena Zevaroni lp has to be the most un-Staxlike thing ever pressed! Yes I know they released some country stuff etc, but she's on another level. 
    Round Robin Monopoly was a waste of $25, one good song on the lp and that was "life is funky"

That Billy Eckstine stuff is quite odd for their catalogue, too. Old fashioned big band crooner music...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I've tried so many times to like those Billy Eckstine lps.
    In fact I have tried many times to like Billy Eckstine, he is very important to the birth of be bop, but I just have not been able to get into him.

Did the X-Clan record with the Stax breaks ever come out?

• ^^^ yeah did it?!

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Junior said:
    Any respectable digger should know whats hot on stax

not to be uppity but i have to cosine this...
    looks like the strut done gone and went soft on a newbie with a digging 101 question

But if this is Ultraman from Dark Sun Riders then it'd be nice to think the Strut would know better than to treat them like a 15 year old who just got into digging.

Did this project ever happen?

Dark Sun Riders = still incredible

Concord has definitely changed things up. As soon as J Kaslow left them the wheels of progress ground to a halt. I think the original idea was to recoup costs on all the transferring of tapes by offering affordable sample licensing to the producers. I have a ton of those sessions, but strangely none of the real big hits and most things are instrumental copies ie: The Blackbyrds. As far as I know they never gave out Staple Singers, Jean Knight, Sam & Dave etc

Or Wendy Rene-After the Laughter, I'd pay to get that tape transferred if they could even find it.