Hip-Hop Evolution on Netflix

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

Hip-Hop Evolution on Netflix is pretty good. I'm enjoying hearing some of the back stories or details from the studios when stuff was made. Melle Mel made me laugh when he was talking shit about Sugar Hill Gang. 

https://www.netflix.com/title/80141782

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm3J5640jXo

Comments

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    Latte passé. 

And I don’t even have Netflix. 

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Yeah, there was a thred a while back where we were discussing.  I'm a fan and am looking forward to a third season.  I liked the interviews with the legends you never hear about in the mainstream (schooly, kane). and they also handled the more well-known subject well (sugar hill, puffy) - going deeper on their stories.  They could keep making eps that focus on interesting people in hip hop afaic

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I've enjoyed it a lot, especially since I don't have very deep knowledge of hip-hop, so it's been cool to learn more about some of the regional scenes and that type of stuff. I felt like there could've been a lot more just about southern hip-hop, but maybe they're holding back for a new season. Looking forward to more!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I've enjoyed it a lot, especially since I don't have very deep knowledge of hip-hop, so it's been cool to learn more about some of the regional scenes and that type of stuff. I felt like there could've been a lot more just about southern hip-hop, but maybe they're holding back for a new season. Looking forward to more!

The interviews from each of the regional scenes are great. It's the little details that get mentioned that really makes this documentary series so good. Last night I was watching the UGK segment and they were talking about the organ sounds and hand claps that Pimp C was using and how it was all gospel influenced. I had always heard those sounds but never thought about it coming from gospel at the time.

• Yeah I loved the regional stuff, and through no fault of the program's own given its purpose to actually appeal to a broader audience than just me individually, it made me go "damn I want a whole season of this just about the Bay/South/(local scene here)".