New Music / Release Thread

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    listening to the new Spiritualized and it's pretty satisfying so far...

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/30/641541125/first-listen-spiritualized-and-nothing-hurt

Edit: On The Sunshine is

• another year, another 500-pressed 40 dolla limited EP from drumetrics - I can't justify spending that but I am loving the sound of this one:

https://www.drumetrics.com/store/p34/MRR_-_EYEdeals.html

It's cool they are so detail oriented to the package as a gesamtkunstwerk and wish them the best on this release and their others, but I wish they'd also just press 2000 on black circular vinyl with reggalah packaging materials alongside that special limited release and charge $20. Hell even a white sleeve. I am not one for exclusivity.

these outtakes from kadhja's last album slay.

-- slooooooow burn but the turn at 3:12 is the illest

-- again with the late game stunner

I'm still getting used to Fatima's new album but this track always hits me, the way it keeps growing

^^ Jimi Tenor vibes

• https://www.mixcloud.com/matt-ford/the-meeting-hes-back-dj-format-both-sides-of-the-new-7-in-one-sound-file/

I just picked up this 45 - a nice, nostalgic DJ cut-n-paste of nothing but meters (and meters-sampling rap drops, I think), 100% of profits to cancer treatments for a friend of the artist.
    Duderonomy

•   kind of.
    Randomly bought the 45 of the final song in this set knowing nothing about it today, and then went home and found this KEXP performance, great performance and incredible sound mixing to me. Sounds like you could press it as an EP like they did with the Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio KEXP.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    the percussionist from Azymuth is about to drop a new album:

if anyone is wondering, the song is about a mythical bird that poops in your socks

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Producer of plodding DnB makes ROUGH half-time stepper shock:

Live singing of recent album cut.  

• shawn lee and misha panfilov:

ketandjwaxon

Kodak kills the beat, but even just the beat itself is something special

foe

Anyone else think that Rosalía album is

Duderonomy

Hmmmmm. I'm hearing it everywhere here, and the kids seem to love it, but it's so minimal; her singing is basically the music bar some finger clicks and the odd chord stab once every couple of bars, so I can't see her cracking the English language market because of (1) language, and (2) no bass-lines. There's absolutely nothing there to hook anyone who doesn't understand the words.

Not that cracking that market is the barometer of success or talent.

Another thing for me to file next to reggaton, and "Latin" stuff other people dig.

• She's gettin so into it in that video and the bass never drops... I felt like all those dudes responding to Skrillex posting an Autechre (or somesuch) track on his twitter going "THIS STARTED AWESOME BUT WHERE'S THE DROP"
    Duderonomy

On a name-dropping tip, a dude I know* is her stage director/choreographer or something, so I hope she does well. I'm just really not feelin' it.

* Wuddup Ferran!

• That's what I was referring to by "gettin into it", she's really moving in that video to a track I would not expect somebody to be quite so physically energetic about. Your friend is doing a good job.

hadn't heard of her (because I'm always ) but she sounds like what would happen if Bjork had grown up listening to Flamenco instead of cows grazing on volcanic ash. It's nice, but I can understand someone who grew up surrounded by traditional spanish music having their mind blown when they first listen to this.

I've been getting into Nego Gallo's new album, fwiw

• new drumetrics sounding good. can't do 40 bucks for a 16 minute EP, but the samples are great.
    https://www.drumetrics.com/store/p38/EASTRONIC.html
    ketan

Omar S can still making great Detroit house:

http://youtu.be/watch?v=04vP2xJjSl4

(I still can't embed yootoobs FFS)

https://www.facebook.com/175106605869527/videos/380162195920759/

Coco Bryce: Tune breakdown.. somewhere late December last year there was this meme/video doing the rounds on facebook of someone asking Siri “what's one trillion to the tenth power” and then Siri replying “one” followed by a seemingly endless amount of zeros... the two people in the video then proceed to churn out a drumbreak by tapping their hands and a pen they're holding onto a table, to the rhythm of Siri's answer...

I figured it might make for a nice intro to a tune (like probably 99% of everyone who saw the video did), so I recorded the audio, chucked it in Ableton, slowed it down a couple bpm's and added Monita's “Luv Ta Luv Ya” break... and then another break... and then a bassline popped into my head which I played pretty much first try (rare as hen's teeth for me, as I don't even know how to read notes or anything)... mind you that most of the times I tend to not have a set plan when going in for a new tune: I'll usually just drag the most random samples into Ableton and start mucking about until something sticks, repeating the process until I feel like I have enough patterns and variety to build a full track with it.. and whenever I do actually have something specific in mind, I'll almost certainly end up with a pile of shit, not coming anywhere near what it might've sounded like in my head...

in this case however, the whole thing more or less wrote itself, and it seemed like every new element I added made sense (or at least to me it did, but I'll let you be the judge of that)... I grabbed a vocal snippet from a “Princess Of The Posse” track and then sampled a pad from DJ Rap & Voyager's “Burning Love” with which I played a few notes, and that was basically the entire foundation of the tune laid right there (sampling from within the same genre, which I know is about as big of a “no no” as using breaks from the BMT sample pack, sorry but not really).. I can't exactly remember how long it took me, but it couldn't have been more than an hour... the only real time consuming parts of the process were the drum edits (as per) and piecing together the rest of the vocals from a clash tape...

weird how sometimes you can spend oodles of time trying to get something to sound right, and still not manage to pull it off after working on a single track for days on end... and then the very next day everything seems to just fall in place out of the blue... pretty damn rare for me, and whenever it does happen, for some reason it always kinda feels like it ain't right, like I've “cheated my way through the system” by using illegal shortcuts or summat... wish it would happen more often tho hahah, would definitely save me a lot of frustration and anxiety...

it's called “Trillion Shekel Man” btw, and should be out in a couple of months on 7th Storey Projects as part of a split 10” with Sonar's Ghost.. just got the test presses in last week, and looking well forward to its release, not in the least part because of the tune on the flip.

ketan

Unexpected!

Not so new, but realised it hasn't been posted.

http://soundcloud.com/muramasamusic/move-me

Personally not enamoured with the lyrics, but the beat is  

Lush as breakdown and pads