What music your kids listen?

minimini 879 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
My son (9) listens Michael Jackson, Jackson 5 and reggae.
My daughter (7) likes Madonna.

Comments

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    My son (11) listens to Muse, Michael Jackson, and whatever is on the radio. I have been slowly introducing him to hip hop such as Hiero, PUTS, Pete Rock, old Ice Cube, Common, ect ect. But everytime he gets in the car he pulls out the Xzibit Restless album bcause his name starts with the letter X. lol

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I have no children, but the youngest one I know, 2 and a bit, was just given a guitar so I was showing him YouTubes - Hendrix, White Stripes, Nirvana, Pixies and Bad Brains went over really well....slower reggae and folk stuff, not so much: "I don't like this, I don't like this"
    He really liked Sly and The Family Stone a few months ago, too.

• minimini 879 Posts
    When my kids were couple years younger they really liked Skatalites.

• My cousins are the youngest "kids" I know (11 and 13). Their mom was a music head when she was younger and was also the only family member who would take me to concerts when I was a kid. She kicked me down some of her old albums (Kraftwerk, Grace Jones, Blondie, Talking Heads, etc???) so I was excited when her kids were finally old enough to talk music.

Me to my 13 yr old cousin: So, what bands are you in to these days?

My cousin: Kings of Leon, the Black Keys???

Me: Oh, cool! So tell me more about this Airsoft thing you're in to

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    My daughter (19 months) loves music. She really likes Leonard Cohan "So Long Marianne". She loves to dance to Talking Heads Stop Making Sense. She digs classic bluegrass. I was going through disco 12s the other night getting ready for a gig and she was dancing non stop.

First thing she does in the morning is come out to the living room and point at the turntable. She gets kind of mad when a song is over or I forget to flip a record. I think I actually listen to more music around the house since she was born because we don't watch TV when she is awake. We pretty much have something on all the time and when she likes something she lets us know.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Younger daughter - Coco Rosie and Little Dragon

Older daughter - Girl Talk & Radiohead

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Daughter (7) / Son (5) = Autotuned Pop Hits ;(

• minimini 879 Posts
    ...and my son also likes Howlin Wolf.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    RAJ said:
    Daughter (7) / Son (5) = Autotuned Pop Hits ;(

My girls (6 and 4) have proven powerless in the face of pop radio as well. Katy Perry is little girl crack. On the other hand, the 6 year old also loves loud guitar music and I am just beginning to show her the basics of how to hold a guitar and pick notes. There is hope...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    mini said:
    ...and my son also likes Howlin Wolf.

My son (almost 9) got really into the soundtrack for the Tony Hawk Pro Skater video games. I've been enjoying exposing him to more punk and hard rock stuff based on his faves. Little kids love the Adicts!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    #1 son (9) : Eye of the Tiger being learned on guitar, he also likes Motorhead, Fooeys, Feeder and the shit the WWE guys walk in to.... m/ d-_-b m/

#2 son (2) : Steely Dan singalongs with his old pop and me humming the hook to this:

My brother's girl (16) : (She's gonna be trouble...)

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

cool. how old is she?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Oh.. My daughter says she liked the Clash now??? She LOVES "Spanish Bombs"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Dante said:
    Rockadelic said:

cool. how old is she?

lol 22

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Dante said:
    Rockadelic said:

cool. how old is she?

lol 22

well, that makes more sense now

i thought she was an 8 year old or something, but she's actually older than me...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    17 years old, she likes the rap & reggae/dub & some rock stuff (stooges, white stripes etc) it could be worse, she gets a lot of mileage aout of the old rap CDs I no longer listen to. Came home from work yesterday & she was blowing the lounge speakers up with Jeru Wrath of the Math. lol

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    I have a 3 1/2 year old who doesn't seem to have a real preference yet, apart from wanting music played softly. She likes to dance when she's happy but when I put on something that I think she would might find easy to dance to she usually says "turn it down, daddy".

Her sister, now 7 1/2 was very different at that age. She certainly liked car journey's with fairly loud music and one of her favourite "soundtracks" from the ago of 4 or so onwards was Phil Asher's Alt Boogie Mix tape, especially the B-Side:

The track at the top of her "wants list" was Tom Tom Club ??? Wordy Rappinghood.
    Unfortunately, I forgot the tape in the car when I sold it in 2010. She was really disappointed. I promised her to find it again, but no chance.
    So, I said "I'll record a compilation of your favourite tracks for your Birthday" and over a period of a few months last year she would come to me when music was playing in the car or in the house and would say "Shortlist!" or "Birthday CD!". It was a really fun process narrowing it down. On her Birthday last August, not only her, but all her little party guests ended up with this compilation in their party bags:

Ku Kertien by Chorale Jouga Julien
    Mah Na Mah Na by Sesame Street
    La Felicita by Franco Godi
    Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens by Louis Jordan & His Tympany Five
    Rag Mop by Lionel Hampton
    Trouble In My Way by Naomi Shelton & The Gospel Queens
    Ife's Soca Mix (Rockit / Dollar Wine / Follow The Leader) by Merchant / Colin Lucas / Nigell & Marvin
    La Zenaida by Armando Hernadez
    Tourbillon (Serre-Moi Fort Si Tu M'aimes) by Soha
    Em'ma by Tour?? Kunda
    Alyo by Hypnotic Brass Ensemble
    The Clapping Song by Shirley Ellis
    (Oh No Not) The Beast Day by Marsha Hunt's 22
    You Can't Hide From Yourself (Dimitri from Paris Super Disco Blend) by Teddy Pendergrass
    Wordy Rappinghood by Tom Tom Club

• I wish I could say my daughter (nearly 15) had cool as fuck music taste, but truth is, it totally sucks. Right now she rides hard for The Wanted and JLS, and is showing real signs of proper fandom (treks up to London to get a glimpse of them entering broadcasting house, meets them at airports and posts up pics of her meeting them all over facebook. I suppose it's healthy-ish, I mean, getting swept along in fan-mania is what later in life anecdotes are made of.

I've made it a policy not to try and influence her music tastes because I guess the inevitable resistance and backlash would be far worse than what I have to put up with now. She does seem genuinely interested in what I'm playing sometimes, and now and again she likes to have a go hitting the pads of the MPC, so I'm expecting her taste to start maturing into something a bit more individual soon enough.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    #1: Kings Of Leon, Ramones, Zep
    #2: Tinie Tempah, ersatz pop-hop du jour, occasional foray into Zounds, Ramones and The Jam. Donald Byrd's 'Lansanas Priestess' was once a big favourite, now gets the gas face.
    #3: Died, bless him
    #4: That damn fool Move Like Jagger thing, and especially fond of Whispers 'Its A Love Thing'
    #5: A Halloween comp w/ Monster Mash et al, but otherwise music-agnostic
    #6: Iggle Piggle's Theme from Teh Night Garden

:WMIC:

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    skel said:
    #1: Kings Of Leon, Ramones, Zep
    #2: Tinie Tempah, ersatz pop-hop du jour, occasional foray into Zounds, Ramones and The Jam. Donald Byrd's 'Lansanas Priestess' was once a big favourite, now gets the gas face.
    #3: Died, bless him
    #4: That damn fool Move Like Jagger thing, and especially fond of Whispers 'Its A Love Thing'
    #5: A Halloween comp w/ Monster Mash et al, but otherwise music-agnostic
    #6: Iggle Piggle's Theme from Teh Night Garden

:WMIC:

Condolences.

Making a mug well up.

• minimini 879 Posts
    My son (now 16) listens to Kendrick Lamar and occasionally some 90's rap.
    My daughter (now 14) listens to some hit radio stations.