RIP Aretha

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
Sad news to hear her passing.  She provided loads of entertainment and listening pleasure.  It's hard to put in words how her music has effected me over the years.

RIP!

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Some of the earliest memories I have are from my mother playing her records when I was little. Ingrained in my memories... Her cameo in Blues Brothers. When she stepped in at the last minute at the Grammys to cover for a sick Pavarotti and sung Nessun Dorma. Even a few years ago killing it at the Kennedy Center Honors. Never saw her live. Looking back, I really should have tried to make that happen. Someone who you go through your life admiring.

She was a treasure on such a grand scale. 

R.I.P.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Dang, RIP. Loved her in Blues Brothers. What a voice! What a woman!

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    I've never been the biggest fan but was listening to this the other day and its so good:

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    What is there to say? The greatest singer of our lifetime. RIP to the Queen.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Legend.  May she rest in peace.

I definitely heard Respect when I was a kid.  But I think it was hearing Freeway of Love as a pop song - and realizing that she had a much older catalog - that eventually led me to this cassette, which I wore out:

• A titan who I think maybe doesn't get the recognition as such. Damn.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I don't think her material was always that strong, certainly given the voice she had, but there are some goosebump-inducing tracks in the catalogue, no doubt.

For me, I prefer the velvet glove Aretha to the iron fist but I suspect the obituaries will be about that RESPECT.

God Bless the Queen.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Farewell mama 

- Diego