Session Heroes

So Bobby Broom is a bit of a legend, having played with Sonny Rollins(and a host of others) since age 16,  but known only a bit outside of music industry and jazz guitar world. Being from Chicago I have the good fortune of being able to catch him around town and even studied guitar with him for a bit. I had always revered his recordings. Well today I learned he had another notch on his belt as the man on guitar in Tome Browne's Funkin for Jamaica... It got me thinking, who are your some of your favorite unsung heroes hiding in the background of a classic tune? 
Duderonomy

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I love funkin'... ! The only session appearances I know of are the famous ones, like Led Zep's John Paul Jones playing bass on Lenny Kravitz's are you gonna go my way.
    I want to know who all the "guest/session" drummers for the Beatles were...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I saw Bobby play live with Courtney Pine, Dennis Chambers and Charnett Moffett on bass (can't remember who was on keys)... 25 years ago.  He slayed it then, but never found a recording where he played like that night.  Have you got any?
    SoundOutLoud

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    I love funkin'... ! The only session appearances I know of are the famous ones, like Led Zep's John Paul Jones playing bass on Lenny Kravitz's are you gonna go my way.

NOT Bernard Purdie, more than maybe once. The guy was a great player (and singer) but full of himself and full of it.

The other I know of is a guy named Paul White (?), who George Martin used early on when he didn't have confidence in Ringo.

GJ

Unsung heroes?

This list is too long, but I guess I'll throw out Gary Mallaber and Lenny Castro to start.

GJ

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    RhythmGJ said:

NOT Bernard Purdie, more than maybe once. The guy was a great player (and singer) but full of himself and full of it.

The other I know of is a guy named Paul White (?), who George Martin used early on when he didn't have confidence in Ringo.

GJ

There was a recent interview with Quincy Jones http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-jones-in-conversation.html and he said they got a jazz drummer called Ronnie Verrell to play an album part Ringo couldn't get right.

RhythmGJ said:

GJ

There was a recent interview with Quincy Jones http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/quincy-jones-in-conversation.html and he said they got a jazz drummer called Ronnie Verrell to play an album part Ringo couldn't get right.

Yeah, I saw Quincy's rant and forgot to mention that. But whatever actually happened there, it was a rarity. Purdie has come out in recent years claiming he played everything and Ringo played nothing, when (I forget the odd circumstances) there is really only one American release of a track that he played on.

As to Quincy's tirade re: "No-playing M0+#€£Fv<%€~s," it seems he needs to get more rest...

GJ

• Jimster said:
    I saw Bobby play live with Courtney Pine, Dennis Chambers and Charnett Moffett on bass (can't remember who was on keys)... 25 years ago.  He slayed it then, but never found a recording where he played like that night.  Have you got any?

That sounds like an incredible lineup. I honestly can't think of a recording where he was doing BeBop with pianists.  For a while he has mostly been in groups with a B3 Organ if there were keys involved. His earlier recordings are a bit more 80's jazz-funk, so maybe something he recorded in the 90's?  Fortunately a lot of his stuff is on Spotify and Youtube if you need to explore.  Also AllMusic appears to have an extensive list of album credits.