WORLD CUP THRAED

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Brazil should have put away a few more of the chances they got, they missed a couple sitters early on. Fernandinho had a horrible game - he went all David Luiz after the own goal and left a huge gap in midfield that the Belgians were happy to exploit. Brazil were lost for a good stretch of the game, but credit to Belgium too, their front three played great and were what made Brazil slip up in the first place.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    [small text] it's coming home.[/st]
    Duderonomy

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Pretty weak game, hopefully the final will be Belgium A-squad vs England A-squad

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Beatnick Dee

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    That was weirdly easy. No drama, but job done.
    Jimster

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

DORJimsterDuderonomy

One of the things I've slowly come to appreciate about the way England is playing is the headers; for years we've had journalists and analysts saying that cross it into the box for a header was old-fashioned and football had moved on from that to on-the-floor tiki taka. Maybe they were right, but the result is that most of the teams we've been playing against don't seem to know how to defend against it when it's done well. Southgate has really got them organised and the quality delivery added to the movement in the box keeps working.

Was joking with a Spanish guy during the Sweden match whenever England, well, mainly Sterling, fluffed a shot on goal that scoring with your feet is too easy and we wanted another set-piece.

One of the things I've slowly come to appreciate about the way England is playing is the headers; for years we've had journalists and analysts saying that cross it into the box for a header was old-fashioned and football had moved on from that to on-the-floor tiki taka. Maybe they were right, but the result is that most of the teams we've been playing against don't seem to know how to defend against it when it's done well. Southgate has really got them organised and the quality delivery added to the movement in the box keeps working.

Was joking with a Spanish guy during the Sweden match whenever England, well, mainly Sterling, fluffed a shot on goal that scoring with your feet is too easy and we wanted another set-piece.

Ha ha yes!

From the first match onwards the german commentators have been insisting that England were the masters of what they call "standard situations" - free kicks, corners etc.

I had no idea why they would possibly think this but it turns out they know more about all this than me. And when it doesn't work (e.g. Columbia) we suddenly looked very toothless.

Struggling with Sterling. While my kneejerk reaction is to want him to prove the naysayers and nasty little racists wrong by playing and doing well, I just don't buy that he's the answer in current form. The plan against Sweden for Kane to drop deep and make space was perfect but then needed a target man who could actually either score or competantly cross the ball.

More vigour from the French side...

Yep, Belgium lacked any cutting edge. Am surprised that, with all those attacking options, their only plan seemed to be to cross the ball for that muppet Fellaini to contest in the box.

The frantic finale was a bit of a damp squib as they seemed to run out of energy a good twenty minutes before the end.

I was wishing the best for Super Kev, there was a sublime pass which Lukaku just couldn't get on the end of in the closing stages...  That would have blessed the players with another 30 mins (+ pennos?) which would have tired out any eventual victor ahead of Sunday's clash with ENG-ERR-LAND.  Assuming that tonight's result is done and dusted in normal time.  Sterling hat-trick, deffo, nailed on like I said the Germans were  

Mbappe not done himself any harm in this shop window, whereas Neymar and other big names must have seen their stock fall - speaking of which - Ronaldo has apparently covered the cost of his Juve transfer already by raising their stock prices northwards in a big, big way.

Until they get done again for match-fixing, natch.

you lot don't deserve to win luckily there's a triple threat of complete a-holes Mbappe/Kante/Umtiti  to stop you
    Jimster

'Kin nailbiter...

Please no pennos.  Man's alarm is like 5:20 am.

Bumbleclocks. (Sic)

Poms away

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    [small text] at least Trippier's goal was a thing of simple beauty [/st]

A few bad calls in favour of Croatia but yeah, one shot on goal just isn't going to cut it.

Jimster

We need a Modric.

We have enough rat-faced ne'er do-wells, let's hope one of 'em can kick a ball straight.

It was a good World Cup for a young team nobody expected to get this far, and I guess for a neutral or Croatian fan, last night was good entertainment. For me, I knew England would rue all those missed opportunities in the first half, and as the game wore on it became more and more obvious that it wasn't going to be England's night. The players on the pitch just weren't good enough.

But England are the under 17 and under 21 world champions. Southgate managed those youth teams, and all of that youth success was planned to translate into football success at the next World Cup. This was a massive over-achievement. And a midfield of Jordan "back-pass" Henderson plus 20 yards of space to the forwards was hardly going to worry Pogaba & Kante.
    You want a Modric-esque schemer for the future, you've got one at Citeh Jimster:

I think France will roll over Croatia without breaking a sweat.

It was a good World Cup for a young team nobody expected to get this far, and I guess for a neutral or Croatian fan, last night was good entertainment. For me, I knew England would rue all those missed opportunities in the first half, and as the game wore on it became more and more obvious that it wasn't going to be England's night. The players on the pitch just weren't good enough.

But England are the under 17 and under 21 world champions. Southgate managed those youth teams, and all of that youth success was planned to translate into football success at the next World Cup. This was a massive over-achievement. And a midfield of Jordan "back-pass" Henderson plus 20 yards of space to the forwards was hardly going to worry Pogaba & Kante.
    You want a Modric-esque schemer for the future, you've got one at Citeh Jimster:

"T3h Stockport Iniesta!"

Not good enough for Gareth this time doe?

I think France will roll over Croatia without breaking a sweat.

France are favourites, yes.  But as Modric said, smug opposition seems to bring out the best in Croatia - evidenced by a sense they really wanted it last night.  But again, really, how much energy have they got left?  Enough to shackle Mbappe?  Nah.  2-0 Les Bleus.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Everybody needs a Modric. Brazil were seriously lacking someone in the middle to connect their solid defense and strong front three, Coutinho doesn't really do that job.

I think England should be pretty happy with their World Cup. Don't think anyone had them on their list of favorites, and there's potential in that team. But what Croatia did was simply insane. I thought they were going to run out of steam in the second half, but that's when they really stepped up and took control of the game. I don't think they'll have the energy for the final though, Modric looked like he had lost his legs by the end of the game and France hasn't really had to break a sweat yet.

Yeah as soon as Kane hit the post the night had all the markings of another "what if".

In that respect I'm thankful that Croatia actually had the better chances and, on balance, deserved to go through. I don't think I could handle another 20 years of replays of a miss ala Gazza's slide against Germany in 96. It was a shame that we never had a plan B so, when the set pieces dried up, we couldn't really create any chances. Serious credit to Croatia for their neverending running and battling. 

I'm still really pleased to see England get this far and a bit sad that a  portion of the international press has decided to see the loss as just reward; taking the singing and "coming home" chants as arrogance shown by a country that over estimated itself rather than the joyful and playful exuberance of a nation not used to actually liking its own players and manager. I don't think most people were in doubt that we had a relatively easy route but you can only beat what's in front of you.

It's still difficult to tell how good we really are but, if nothing, else, this is a much happier place to build on.

While I have a fair few more French friends than Croats, and believe that they should win easily, I'm actually leaning towards supporting Croatia on Sunday. Here is a team that has been labelled as underachievers for their whole international life - the perennial dark horses. And I am constantly frustrated by France having so much wonderful talent and playing soul sucking counter football based on passing it to the lad who can run fast. Plus I don't know if I can handle seeing into the black pit again that is Duchamp's toothless smile.

Have no interest in watching another dead rubber Eng v Bel game on Saturday.

On the plus side, spent all of half time on my mobile trying to work out the most efficient route for getting into London for Saturday and being back at work for Monday morning. I can't deny that there's a part of me that feels grateful that I no longer have to plan that.

I'll definitely be back in the UK for the last stages of 2020 though....
    DuderonomyJimster

Having read some articles about Croatia's reaction to winning has soured my mood a bit. Apparently England were sore losers, Croatia dominated the entire match (LOL), and England deserved to lose because of a song that they probably don't realise has been taken up almost in ironic jest as the team survived for so many more matches than expected.

Wankers.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/12/england-unbelievably-inferior-croatia-press-world-cup-semi-final

Yeah, the chest thumping anti England schtick was a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

Having said that, the whole shady business of football in Croatia and dodgy dealings means I'm not surprised they're trying to focus people's attention elsewhere. If it cheers up the little country then I can't be mad when the equivalent of the Sun starts lambasting England.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/croatia-england-world-cup-2018-semi-final-luka-modric-dejan-lovren-trial-a8441451.html

Inferior wankers.

Or superior wankers? Anyway, wankers. Lloris making Karius feel a little better.

hellooooooow a-hole