Rap You're Liking

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

^Incredible album.  This is the parting shot: 

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Ha, no idea - I hope it's the latter - all up for introducing faiyaz to my vocab.

Man, new Devin? Consider me interested.

I have those trainers.

MEEK

https://youtu.be/R5c-yv_FGd0?t=3m5s

He's always been nice.

The new Tyler is really good.  He produced the whole thing and it's more, uh, mature both musically and lyrically. Wonder what the fanbase will think.  On first listen, I think it's actually the better grown-man rap album than 4:44... and he's only 26!
    Junior

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Not very "rap" but a great track.
    Junior

Oh, I missed this.  Looks like the Liknuts album is actually going to drop, and sounds like it is going to be tiiiiite:

https://www.facebook.com/demontdaniel/videos/10213436180199675/

Also feeling the Mozzy album.  He's a really good/thoughtful rapper, and the beats give the album a feel somewhere b/w the second YG and the Rich Gang album. This Jay Rock feature is nice (anyone heard from Bassie lately? hope she's well...):

Kinetic

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    ketan said:
    Haven't looked forward to a new rap album in a while, but here we go.

This new Conway is serious bizniz

It's free too: https://www.toneden.io/conway-the-machine/post/g-o-a-t

It's been a good year for rap!

Everyone should already have heard this but it's still fantastic

The early sounds of summer

• Junior said:

Another TDE joint I've been playing is SiR "Something Foreign." Whole thing has a dusted jazz vibe. Schoolboy does his thing too

ketan

Junior said:

@1.47 the trader at the bottom of pic getting excited at his desk - is that one of the Brownswood Investment boys from The Big Short film?

Ha, I didn't even notice him exploding with joy - I guess if your few seconds of screen time are shared with Future hitting the high notes for "slob on me knob" you really need to work hard to get noticed. I haven't seen Big Short yet - is it worthy of attention?

I like that SiR track - though it does sound a little too TDE if you get my meaning. I feel like that style sort of peaked around Section.80 and everything else in their dusty jazzy genre pales a little compared to it.

Junior said:
     I haven't seen Big Short yet - is it worthy of attention?

I love it. Does a decent enough job of explaining the history and mechanics of the financial crisis, plus there’s the vicarious retributive high of knowing that at least a few guys screwed the banks (while the rest of us bent over).

Mozzy is constantly moving up my list of rappers I check for at the moment   

The new Saba is pretty good if also pretty depressing. Especially if you like story rap.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

• Junior said:
    Mozzy is constantly moving up my list of rappers I check for at the moment   

The new Saba is pretty good if also pretty depressing. Especially if you like story rap.

Cosign on the Saba, I fuck with BUSY / SIRENS. Cool ass delivery + lyricism

I like that Saba joint - been meaning to listen to that album.

That song reminded me of this from bitd (vibe wise):

Junior

There's a new Husalah album.  If you're a fan, it's not disappointing at all.  

I missed this interview: https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/ywgnzk/husalah-bay-area-legend-returns-to-rap-with-limitless-wisdom

Junior

• ketan said:
    I like that Saba joint - been meaning to listen to that album.

That song reminded me of this from bitd (vibe wise):

Damn thats a throwback.. completely forgot about these dudes. J. Rawls has some gems.  

Oh shit I had totally forgotten about J Rawls, file this under excellent Mobb Deep inspired loops.

That Husalah interview is amazing. As is the album artwork. I'm a fan and been meaning to check it out - just feels like a lot of music to tackle.

New Childish Gambino video is very very good: 

• Browsed the Husalah today, some great songs on that album. The interview is kinda bizarre, I can't really get a read on the guy. But his music always slaps.

And yeah, I can't stop rewatching the Gambino video despite it sorta feeling like I could pretty much share it with my mom. That it's overcome that alarm bell and I still listening to it over and over is a sign of how solid the song is, I think.

Listening to the Jay Rock album and loving it.  (Hope Bassie is well!  Still in Toronto?)

tbh I'm enjoying much of Kanye Season 2018. Haven't heard the Teyana Taylor album yet, but I think that's a different thread.

Oh and the new Westside Gunn is incredible.  

Yeah that Jay Rock is good. Only heard it the once through and definitely need to give it more time.

Genuinely can't muster up the drive to even play through all this Kanye stuff once. Saturation to the point of not giving a shit.

• ketan said:

They gotta do an EP at least, this shit is like Marcberg LP

klezmer electro-thug beatsbillbradley

• Junior said:

Slaaaaaaps

Junior