WORLD CUP THRAED

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Putin knows Teh West would love an opportunity to point the finger and the whole thing seems to be happening without incident.
    Would also say that while it doesn’t have the party atmosphere of Brasil, the games have been much better.

A woman I teach says the Iranian team look like well groomed models. And my girlfriend likes watching Iceland players... just doing anything.

:whycry:

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I wonder how the merriman feels watching Panama and Costa Rica put all that CONCACAF class on display

Yeah, the best teams don’t necessarily make it; feels weird seeing a World Cup without Italy or Holland. Mind you, they might be happy they weren’t on the end of a 6-1!

Tonight’s drama was brilliant - 2 minutes of football remaing and Spain potentially going out, they get a dodgy VAR decision (and no VAR decision on if it should’ve be a goal kick instead of a corner), Iran get a penalty that would knock Spain out, ref overturns the offside and calls goal, Iran score the penalty and Spain top the group!
    Scuba SteveJunior

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    BANGERS

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Last night was fantastic, classic final group game drama. The only shame was neither Spain or Portugal actually went out.

Tonight should hopefully be quite juicy as well.

The general mood in Germany seems to remain meh, teh crafty Deutsch spotted the potential weakness in the team and decided to pretend they didn't really care before the tournament started. Having said that, the Kroos last minute freekick did induce beer soaked celebrations that were highly enjoyable.

Goes without saying that England are going to win it now. It's coming home boys.
    DuderonomyDOR

Junior said:

Goes without saying that England are going to win it now. It's coming home boys.

Goes without saying that this will happen since I’m not living there anymore.

Fuck it, if we make the final I’m booking a flight back for the pissed-up 3 day Ragnarok* that would occur if we won it.

* I’m talking end-of-times, cats mating with dogs, mass hysteria

…....................

Another great night of drama. Not sure Argentina really deserve to go through :/

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    That Argentina/Nigeria game was entertaining! Argentina is lucky to still be in this bish. 

Junior said:

Goes without saying that this will happen since I’m not living there anymore.

Fuck it, if we make the final I’m booking a flight back for the pissed-up 3 day Ragnarok* that would occur if we won it.

Ha ha! This was actually my first reaction to the current performance too. 

All those years of waiting for a good performance and as soon as I move away....meanwhile my supposedly reliable new home is self-destructing beautifully.

I've also sworn to fly over should when we make the final. It will truly be the end of days. I predict unstoppable swarms of obese topless men, their guts slathered in St George's crosses marked out in blood, running riot in the streets while Three Lions blares from every window.

That's two days in a row where the group favourites have dabbled with disaster but still gone through. Despite all the drama, there have actually been no big teams going out yet. Not trying to curse today or anything.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Whatever German for "I did not see that coming" is.

para11ax

Junior said:

That's two days in a row where the group favourites have dabbled with disaster but still gone through. Despite all the drama, there have actually been no big teams going out yet. Not trying to curse today or anything.

LOL. 

ketanDuderonomyDOR

Neuer was always bound to have his Higuita moment

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Jimster said:
    Whatever German for "I did not see that coming" is.

I believe it's pronounced sha-den-froy-duh.

Jimster

From a totally objective point of view, today this became not merely a good tournament, but a fucking great World Cup. Germany out in the groups, England aren’t shite. The standard of games has been good, loads of drama, and a coked-up football God trying to out-do Neymar for theatrics. Or he really did nearly collapse from the stress of watching Argentina. While the decisions on when VAR is used needs clarity, it’s coming out of this slightly in credit, even if it’s only because it’s added another layer of dispute to proceedings. None of the expected fan violence, no polonium poisoning so far, nor a banana thrown.

And I’m drunk every day by 7pm.
    JimsterJunior

Mamma Mia this Switzerland Costa Rica games has started off all guns blazing (stand down - it’s just a figure of speech).
    costa Rica hit the post, hit the crossbar, and forced a finger-tip save in the first 10 minutes 

Yeah I can't think of another world cup where it really felt quite so much like any team could win any game.

Just look at Germany's group - South Korea beat Germany who beat Sweden who beat Mexico who beat South Korea etc.

It's a really exciting and fun tournament.

I've personally enjoyed most of the VAR stuff as well - it's much more smoothly implemented than in the Bundesliga (and certainly than in the English cups) and the drama it has added has generally been delicious.

The mood among the crowd yesterday was that Germany deserved to go out and that all the players lacked motivation - something that's been obvious for the last year actually. Interesting to see what happens next.

No idea who the favourites are now. I would say probably 10 of the last 16 teams could win this.

Junior said:
    No idea who the favourites are now. I would say probably 10 of the last 16 teams could win this.

[very small text] It's coming home... [/vst]

JuniorDORDuderonomy

Jimster said:
    Junior said:

A meagre 52 years of hurt....never stopped us dreaming

[tiny text] Would be very happy for us to if we could just win a knock out round match again[/tiny text]

Duderonomy

Jimster said:
    Junior said:

[even smaller text] only if you call Colombia home [/est]

DOR

Play of the tournie IMO
    DuderonomyJuniorpara11ax

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    If you step into the ring vs Brazil or Spain your previous victory has to be impressive, nobody will achieve this

Roll into the semis and it's a ticker tape parade, lose the quarters and it's the backdoor of the airport

Well, au revoir Messi, truth be told aside from a few moments of magic, you and the rest of the Argentina squad were shit.

France looked like they despatched the albiceleste while playing in second gear. Rather happy England avoided this half of the draw.

Uruguay totally deserved that.  Pity they let in that goal.

Spain out, England can’t lose! It’s coming home lads!!!

No Jormins.
    No Mavlinas disputers.
    No Winkers.
    No Donkey crushers.
    No part-time Vikings.
    It's the Three Lions all the way.
    Until we go out.

Brazil and Mexico are scoreless at half but it's been a really exciting game.  Looks like Mexico has more holes in their defence than Brazil...

Sorry Brasil, I shouldn't have any reason to want you out of the tournament, but Neymar has to be the most dislikeable prick at this World Cup. The thought of him winning makes me sick a little in my mouth.
    JuniorJimsterScuba Steve