WORLD CUP THRAED

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
edited June 2018 in Strut Central
So... due to the location I’ve been massively un-hyped about it, but now the greatest spectacle on earth is upon us.
Yay.
Predictions?

Spain have started strongly - sacking their manager 2 days before their opening game against Ronaldo, I mean Portugal.
Messi’s last chance to step out of Maradona’s shadow?

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Klaus und dem FTW, nailed on fam.
    Belgium to be there or thereabouts.
    England to peak too soon, iron-face Kane to get crocked in first game.

Ultras to run riot.  Russian police to stand back and observe.  (I bet the ultras are off-duty rozzers).

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I've read Putin made a kind of truce with the ultras, in the sense that he wants things to run well during the WC and if they try anything he'll do to them what he's done to all his other enemies.

I've been uhyped partly due to the whole 1934/1978 vibe and the stench that emanates from the Brazilian federation, but also having a soon to be 2-year-old sucks up almost every minute of non-work time, so I just haven't kept up.

That being said, IT'S THE WORLD CUP, BATCHES

Fuck the fascists, I hope Putin cries vodka tears as he watches his team get schooled by the Saudis today, much like Hitler watching Jesse Owens, except for the whole heroic part because it's the fucking Saudis and they're way more into the whole neofeudalism thing than Putin could ever be.

We all know the opening game is always a little tepid, even when France lost to Senegal. I expect shit to get real tomorrow or saturday, either in Egypt v. Uruguay, the Iberian derby or Argentina v. Iceland.

LET US ENJOY THIS BEFORE FIFA'S MONEY GRUBBING RUINS THIS THING FOR GOOD

the first real question is: will England make it out of its group?
    Duderonomy

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    the first real question is: will England make it out of its group?

ppadilha

FRIENDS, COMMENCE YOUR DAYTIME BOOZING
    Duderonomy

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

Saudis actually made Russia look good. Doubtless their players came down with a touch of polonium.

Damn, this Spain vs Portugal game is good. Hoping Ronnie prevails as I’d rather meet them than Spain in the later stages.

missed Morocco v Iran and the 1st half of Portugal v Spain, but that 2nd half was quality

Damn, this Spain vs Portugal game is good. Hoping Ronnie prevails as I’d rather meet them than Spain in the later stages.

#VINDICATED

Never count them out when he's on the pitch.  Just one of those rare players who can single-handedly change the course of a game.

That was an amazing game, and yeah, Ronaldo just edged himself ahead of Messi in terms of producing on the biggest stages.
    strange how playing for Portugal he seems like a much more mature player; less selfish, less tantrums, aware that he’s the underdog and needs to concentrate to get the job done.

Engurrrland...

Not bad opening 20 minutes. But Deli Alli got injured and refused to come off so we played most of the game a man down. Walker gave away a stupid penalty. No left-footed delivery from Young, Sterling or Robocop. Henderson not confident enough to control a pass from his own CBs, turn, and make a forward pass. Lingard missed 3 or 4 sitters. Harry Kane was body-slammed to the ground at a corner and no penalty. Robocop will be skinned-alive by a fast attack.

But... this England team has options from the bench, and in Harry Kane, one of the most clinical strikers in football. I’d like to see Loftus-Cheek play instead of Henderson (who can tackle but little else), Rashford deserves a start, and we haven’t even played our top cunt yet (Vardy).

Southgate should address these problems and I expect us to beat Panama. Belgium will be a test.

Sterling gets in the right places consistently and still fluffs his lines.  A Vardy would slot all of these away.  I think Kane AND Vardy up front is a good idea.
    DORDuderonomy

I guess I haven't watched an England game in a long time, but there's a bunch of kids I've never seen in this team and feels like it's a whole generation of Oxo-Cubes. They have some talent but they're also a bit big and burly. Reminds me of mid-00s teams in Brazil, when the youth systems were selecting kids that could win youth tournaments by outmuscling the competition, but then they'd all peter out by the time they hit 24 or 25...
    Duderonomy

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    The reffing in the England match was disappointing to say the least. Didn't call Kane getting fucked up once... The slam in the box was outrageous.

Hope Vardy sees playing time in a major way. Young should have been benched. Why is he even taking kicks???

Duderonomy

All things considered, the opening 20 minutes had more positives and excitement from England than the last two world cups combined (and throw in the last euros for good measure).

Re: kids you’ve never seen before - probably the best thing the team has going for it. Other teams should be less aware of our strengths... and weaknesses.
    DOR

Portugal are going to have a hard time getting past Iran.

BIG UP TO MEXICO, even though I missed most of the game and haven't been able to catch a replay of it, seems like the most epic result so far. Senegal winning was good but they were playing a shit country. Also, I'm glad I gave up having any expectations with Colombia, otherwise I'd be disappointed once again.

No Winnarrs medal for Messi.  Mandems were dregful (sic).  Karius tweeting #metoo

Croatia also very impressive. But Caballero WTF?

It’s actually been a really good World Cup so far. Upsets, good games... but still not sold on VAR.

Was talking to a friend about Argentina, and more specifically how unlucky Messi is to be at the peak of his career during one of the rare moments that the rest of the national team is abysmal, and it occurred to me that barring Messi, there aren’t many of the Argentina team I think would get into the England team.

Any nominations?

Banega instead of Henderson?
    Aguero or Dybala instead of Sterling or Lingard (neither would play instead of Kane)?
    But the entire defence and rest of midfield? Has Di Maria regressed that much?

I guess the main difference between Portugal and Argentina at this point is that the idiots surrounding Cristiano Ronaldo at least manage to stay organized. Argentina are horrible aside from their attack, but I think there were better options at defense and in goal that didn't get called up, maybe because they don't play in Europe. We'll have to wait for Simeone to take charge and put some blood thirsty defenders and midfielders in there.

Brazil still keep shitting their pants under the weight of expectations (who the fuck has any expectations????), and Neymar had a bout of the Thiagosilvas at the end of the game today.

Fake tears from Neymar was cringe inducing as fuck. Scores a goal against the mighty Costa Rica after comically flopping for a penalty, how’s he going to top that reaction if he actually does something meaningful?

No-class idiot. Somehow didn't get booked for the fake penno. Brasil, has it really come to this, diving to win? Sócrates and dem turning in dey graves.

Neymar will never be mentioned in a GOAT conversation as long as he is the world’s biggest pussy. He’s a talent, but more dislikable than Ronaldo. Saw a clip from the Costa Rica game and the ref was separating arguing players; his fingers barely brushed Neymar’s chest and the obnoxious little shit yapped at the ref not to touch him. I’d pay to see Joey Barton clean his clock for the hell of an instant red card.

Ze Jormins doe.
    Form ist vorübergehend Klasse ist dauerhaft

As soon as they gave away that free kick I thought a goal would come of it, but wow, great strike!
    Sweden had opportunities to end it, didn’t take them.
    Hope Southgate bears this in mind *cough* Sterling/Lingard *cough, cough*.

I think our telly is broken.

Says 5-0 after 45 mins.

T actual F.

Pffffft, only 6?

The set-piece goal was great, even though Sterling aimed straight at the keeper. Happy for Lingard - amazing strike.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Been watching and enjoying, ignoring all the politics.  Has there been any problems outside of the pitch yet? 

England are surprising me; I'm normally a hater tbh. 

I see Mexico strengthening over the tourney.

Iran/Portugal should be good tomorrow.