Paul Barman returns

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
White, 43 year old, Jewish, Dork. Produced by Questlove, MF Doom, Masta Ace, Memory Man, and Mark Ronson. Surprisingly dope little record. https://mellomusicgroup.bandcamp.com/album/echo-chamber

Jimster

Comments

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    Great track. Thanks for posting. Hip-Hop not dead?

GJ 

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Paging Young Einstein! 

- Spidey

• I guess I'm glad this exists because the guy is clearly ridiculously skilled with rhymes and so on, but I think I can't give it more than one listen. Basically he rhymes too hard. I need one of those green banker's visors to listen to this. But I don't hate it. It's the ideal one-off, it's a really interesting branch-off style, but you don't want guys who aren't Paul Barman trying to be Paul Barman and turning into a subgenre or something.
    Did make me kinda want to hear more Open Mike Eagle.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    It's the ideal one-off, it's a really interesting branch-off style, but you don't want guys who aren't Paul Barman trying to be Paul Barman and turning into a subgenre or something.

Definitely reminded me of a Beastie Boys related project. Not for everybody, but thought it was pretty decent. 

- spidey

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I remember some of his songs BITD being a little cringe-inducing. His vibe is like someone who got a Master's in Cultural Studies but is also really into MF DOOM, or like a more talented HEMOL.
    DuderonomyJimster

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Its totally cringe-inducing. I had one of his eps from the 2000s. It was all prince paul produced hence why i picked it up.
    I like some of the beats, but not a fan of his voice or lyrics. Good to see he is still corny as fusk in 2018. 

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    Its totally cringe-inducing. I had one of his eps from the 2000s. It was all prince paul produced hence why i picked it up.
    I like some of the beats, but not a fan of his voice or lyrics. Good to see he is still corny as fusk in 2018. 

I keep thinking that Paul Barman spent the past 10 years perfecting the internal rhymes in these 16 songs, while Doom churned out about 10x as much music with lyrics just as complicated but half the time he wasn't even trying.

Also, maybe this calls for a Good Producers happening to Bad MCs thread

• Paul has always had ridiculous producers on his stuff, a prime candidate. I'm more sympathetic than you two in that I probably cringe less, but you are absolutely right, the feeling is always in the back of my mind like, "what would somebody else sound like over this beat, damn"
    Duderonomy

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts

He's quirky and individual, I'll give you that. I was unfamiliar, so this is my first exposure. It was a bit of a shock (the voice), but the lyrics sound more like spoken word/poetry over cool beats to me, which isn't necessarily bad. Also, remember what some critics had to say re: quirky and Dylan, David Byrne, Elvis Costello, Eminem, etc., etc. Not saying he's as great, unique, whatever, but it could grow on you. There are thousands and millions of people who like Leonard Cohen (I can't stand the sound of his voice).

GJ

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    If you listen to the podcast The Cipher, they did a good episode with Barman a few weeks ago. I had no idea just how involved his rhyme schemes and whole creative process were. I can't say that knowing has made me enjoy the music more, but it's definitely interesting to hear him talk about what he does. Check it out here:

http://theciphershow.com/episode/238/