Raj Euro Trip 2018

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
I'll be in flying into Amsterdam and making my way to Paris later this month.  The plan is to spend 1 week making our way to Paris and 1 week in Paris.  Any suggestions for Holland, Belgium, France?

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Amsterdam: hookers, Belgium: beer, Paris: being insulted by waiters ;)

But srsly, spend a few days in the ‘Dam to soak up the atmosphere. Holland is a country that feels like it’s been run by people who instead of just saying “Yeah, we could do things like that to improve efficiency and stuff”, actually went ahead and did everything. It feels like the most adult country I’ve ever been too (if that makes sense).
    The bicycles having right-of-way ALL OF THE FUCKING TIME is a bit of a culture shock, but as a cyclist I’d soon get used to the idea of accelerating at pedestrians instead of slowing for them
    Belgium: watch In Bruge, then you’ll want to go there. It’s like a fucking fairy tale city.
    Paris: you will see people so fashionable you’ll think you’ve stumbled onto the set of Zoolander 3 by accident. Girls doing the exaggerated catwalk stomp-walk with a straight face.

I’d def spend the most time in Holland, prefer rural France to Paris, and can’t say much about Belgium.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Do you know what part of Paris you're staying in yet?  

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    What Duder said generally about The Netherlands.  Most people are hella chill.  We stayed in the Singel hotel in Amsterdam last time, canalside and a nice 10 min walk into the busier part.  Great place, host very welcoming and proper euromang cheese and meat platter breakfast.  I recommend that.  We went to a place called Club Meander which had a great selection of music.  I think it's a cafe in the day too.  Everyone speaks English   DO REMEMBER TO WATCH OUT FOR THE BIKES AS THEY TAKE NO PRISONERS AT ALL.

Brussels was great too.  We went for a city-centre wedding and it was probably the hottest day on record there.  I remember eating fresh mussels and garlic bread al fresco, definitely recommend it, although the cafes in the big square were mad dollar, better to eat elsewhere a few streets away for less money and less hovering-watiers-eager-to-churn-the-punters-through.

I stay with friends in Paris so can't offer hotel advice, but it's a beautiful city and well worth taking your time to see all the spots.  Traffic and parking scarcity makes for slow driving experiences though, so take the metro where you can.  Stop regularly for coffee and wine.  Learn a bit of French and watch this before you go - and they are trying to stop people peeing in the streets these days too - Whatever next??!!!

Satie FTW.

Or this:

Eric Serra FTW.

I am sure there are/were Amsterdam Strutteurs around these parts for that local gem bithnith.

RAJ

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    ketan said:
    Do you know what part of Paris you're staying in yet?  

We're staying for a week in an apt. between the Montparnasse district and the Eiffel Tower.  

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Check @wonguy974 on Instagram.  Great Paris pics.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    get used to the idea that fries + mayo >>>>>>>>>> fries + ketchup

ppadilha said:
    get used to the idea that fries + mayo >>>>>>>>>> fries + ketchup

• Throw some garlic in that mayo as a gateway drug and you'll find yourself going straight for the uncut Kraft squeeze bottle soon enough. Nasty but inevitable. Embrace living foul.

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    start & finish date?

Lamont said:
    start & finish date?

Jun 22 - July 7

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Brussels festival https://www.couleurcafe.be/en/
    I'd recommend overnight stay in the city of Ghent

RAJ