No Record Store Day thread? Did we all skip it? (RR)

I didn't camp out, but I got "Texas Twister" on an eBay BIN today for $20. 
para11ax

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    I went hiking in the Antelope Valley instead of grinding it out.  If I had gone out, I would have checked this: 

You can read up on it here: https://www.facebook.com/events/2065866473693425/?active_tab=about

But the most important thing is this claim therein:

"Come see the GREATEST Collection of Records ever accumulated by one person – it’s the best we’ve ever seen!!!"

Did any strutters go??

I did my thing for the kulcha by buying a copy of this solid new LP by a local Hamilton band, haolin munk.  It's like prog-jazz (reminds me of Miles 70s electric at times) but there's a vocal space opera thing going on too with teh rapping and singing.  Not for everyone, but I'm well into it.

https://haolinmunk.bandcamp.com/album/planestasia-suite

The cover art is so solid to me. 

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I don’t buy records anymore :(
    Digital is great, but not the same.

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    I'm constantly buying records, sooo...

I do support RSD, as it is overall a positive thing (that has skewed negative the past few years), but I'm not always into fighting the crowds and I'm definitely not a "wait 12 hours on the street the night before" guy.

I was out of town this year, but did manage to pick up a few titles (used/non-RSD) at a couple of stores in Valpraiso, Indiana (which wants me, apparently, but I can't go back there).

GJ

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Oh that was precious!!

GJ

"Fow-er Sam-BOO-Co's! FOW-ER SAM-BOO-CO'S!!!!"

GJ
    ketan

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I had a record epiphany. I wasn't just buying records to be cool. I wasn't flipping rares for cash. I just wanted to hear the music. The problem that I had with this idea of being a DJ and spinning rares was that it's essentially a rich man's game. For a non wealthy person I have spent thousands of dollars on records. I stopped heavy record buying about 5 years ago. Sold a lot of my records because of a move, and I personally feel much better with less records. I still got a storage I need to purge. The records left, but my appreciation for the music is still there. Record Store Day is a gimmick to keep an interest in buying Vinyl. God bless it. I just personally need to use what little money I have towards better decisions. 

- spidey
    Jimster

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    My RSD consisted of copping the song of innocence reissue from the Now Again site.
    para11ax

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    RSD is cool, but I intentionally slept in.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Every day is record store day.
    DORRhythmGJketan

• For me, every day but record store day is record store day. I steer clear. Too crowded, never anything I'm after really either.
    I took a 20km walk in the countryside and did not think of records.

i'm in portland and just spend a while in music millennium - wow.  great shop.  picked up this david crosby things from last year.  listening to it on a wonky record player (a bit slow, i think) and it's great.

https://www.discogs.com/David-CrosbyLighthouse-Band-The-David-Crosby-And-The-Lighthouse-Band-Record-Store-Day-10th-Anniversa/release/10176185

the croz rides again and again!

I was in Syracuse today and went to a place called The Sound Garden. I picked up some great stuff, but still can't figure out how to post pix :( .

GJ

^^ click this icon. you can either "paste" (ctrl-v) or upload an image or direct to a url.  
    RhythmGJ

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    I was in Japan for RSD and over there it's a month long affair. Supposed RSD titles being released 3 weeks prior and events happening all over the place. Checked the list of releases, wanted two things but didn't end up getting anything. Ambivalent about the whole thing, major labels are clogging up the presses to release garbage collectibles of major artists - then on the other hand you do get the odd really good release. Let it live and die!

ketan said:

^^ click this icon. you can either "paste" (ctrl-v) or upload an image or direct to a url.  

Funny, I couldn't get it to work before, but now, yes, so thanks!

Some recent grab:

GJ

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I went to A store on RSD (every day is RSD) because he gassed me up with pics of stuff he was putting out. Then it was priced too high vs shape, so I bought very little. I don't like going to certain stores on RSD because it's chudmongering beardos and guys/girls clogging up the store buying nothing celebrating vinyls.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Never got into RSD.  Waiting in line at 8 AM on a Saturday for John Cougar Mellencamp reissues?  No thanks.

Double Decker in Allentown , PA saves up all his crazy raers for a few months and unleashes them on RSD.  Tempting, but still don't want to go elbow to elbow with some cork sniffer.

Auctionsniper is my friend.

billbradley

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I think the target audience for RSD are people who want to own or flip raer stuff.  I do have a lot of vinyl but it's because I want to listen to it myself, or cop licks from it.  The format (for me) is irrelevant, I guess, and I have all of it on mp3 now anyway.  I do understand the difference in sound quality but I don't have the time, money or space to get into high-end audio.  Now THAT is a rich man's game, ferrealio. 

There was a golf pro my dad knew and he had about 20+ Gee's worth of kit (Sterlings!) in a room setup just for all this and had concrete done and all that palaver.  Did it sound any good though?  YES IT FUCKING DID.  It made me initially want to go home and bin my kit, but then we gots to talking and he said nothing sounded better to him than hearing people actually sing and play instruments live in front of him, which is what I've always been into doing the most, so the take-home for me, eventually, was "Guitars > stereos".

(BTW I still suck at t3h Musics but it's been much less expensive).

That's a funny thought^^^^ ("Guitars and music gear is cheaper than home audio").

GJ

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    RhythmGJ said:
    That's a funny thought^^^^ ("Guitars and music gear is cheaper than home audio").

GJ

I can afford a bass, I know I'll never be able to afford a £20K stez + the cost of a room for the fucker.

Sure. Everything in moderation. I'm no audiophile, but I have some decent vintage stuff. I also usually don't have the latest and greatest instruments, preferring to buy used or wait for prices to come down. It was just a funny thought, having visited NAMM for the first time last year and being in music stores pretty regularly and seeing what kind of coin people drop.

I think in both fields there is a middle ground sweet spot. There are the $20,000 cable audio guys who only listen to their one sound effects record, and there are the latest and greatest everything music cats that can't play a note, but (hopefully) they're on the margins.

I did a gig quite a few years ago with a band I was in that was union shop. I couldn't make a gig, so we hired a sub out of the book, but then at the last minute I actually could play, so rather than boot the guy when he was already booked for the date, I convinced the bandleader to have me play percussion instead of drums. Well, when I got there, my substitute was already set-up with all of his drums and cymbals, and he had a huge kit with multiple toms and metal everywhere. He knew the dimensions of every drum, the thickness and wood used in the shells, the sizes and weights of all his cymbals, but unfortunately, he never learned to play. The gig was kind of a disaster...

There are a lot of hifi guys like that too. "Individual 500 watt mono blocks, B&W and Magnepan speakers, boutique German turntable with obscure cartridge and sapphire stylus combo, one-of-kind hand-built point-to-point wired CD player, $150,000 invested in speaker cable and interconnects," but the record collection is made up of one "audiophile pressing" of somethingerother, and a copy of "Beat It."

I prefer to collect music, and listen on the best stuff I can afford, which has never been that great in the eyes of "audiophiles."

GJ

Always and forever, I collect vinyl because of the the affordability of discovering new music in the binz (okay, it's no longer cheaper than mpfrees).  RSD is clearly not serving that, except now that I know what I like, there are *some* cool releases every once in a while.  But I would never line up on THE DAY because...

^^^^True as well. If you're not interested in the latest hot RSD kitchy whatever record (which will definitely be scooped-up and scalped on eBay), you can often find overstock up to a year or two later. I usually get _last year's_ RSD hype at the current year's RSD (if I go at all). I did get Coltrane's "The Roulette Sessions" that way, plus the Marley 45 box set from a few years back.

Patience is a virtue.

GJ