Comments

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Damn, that's to bad

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    Yeah. Coincidentally, Gibson filed for bankruptcy reorganization. Based on audio product sales, not guitars...

GJ

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I thought Gibson owned Stanton.  Do they own Shure too?

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    They do own Stanton. And that's their issue, I guess (nothing to do directly with Shure, afaik).

But I wonder if they (back to Shure) know something we don't know? Or they are stupid? Why stop making carts in the middle of a huge vinyl resurgence arc?

GJ

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Maybe it's like the Technics1200 case. The mould used to make them is probably nearing its life expetancy and the company execs made a cost anlaysis about replacing it compared to how many stylus they would have to sell to recoup said cost.
    I feel really burned by Shure though. I've invested a lot of money in their cartridges and stylus, so the idea of not being able to use them in the future doesn't sit well with me.
    Hopefully, some third party is able to manufacture a decent alternative that will be able to utilise shure's hardware.
    Now that Stanton is done, is ortofon the only alternative? 

• Scuba SteveScuba Steve @steveislikewoah 40 Posts
    I really hope Rane or Pioneer step up with a clone.  

I recently had issues with Guitar Center finding 2 new carts and 4 stylus for me (had a coupon and gift card so figured I would stock up.  I was dumbfounded as every Guitar Center I had been in before had a big pile of each, on sale most of the time.  Now it makes sense. 

• Jico in Japan makes replacement styli.
    I've used them and haven't noticed any difference, but never did any A/B testing.

https://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?products_id=1010&osCsid=0fj9ubparh2gvsnkoe116d8bi5
    kicks79

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I have some Jico styli, replacements for the M44-7, M44-G and M44-E. I'd say they all sound a tiny bit better, the diamonds are a bit finer.
    But I didn't try scratching with them, but should be ok I think. And the Shure M44 cartidge is over 50 years old, there should be endless supply for the next decades.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

I'm surprised at how little information I've found online in terms of alternatives to the Whitelabels. If Jico started making the stylus replacements, I would keep them. But that doesn't seem to be the case atm.

Ortofon also seems to have made some drastic changes and now they only carry 5 carts and discontinued most of their models. The Club is elliptical so it's not a good option for DJing imo. Anybody use the DJ concords? Also, 4g seems like a lot. I was using 2.5 on the whitelabels.