New Music / Release Thread

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    ketan said:

Wuuuut! Great. I wonder what gear he used.

Is that Mike Will beat chopping up Enya? Orinoco Flow?

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    ketan said:

I just got an up close look at his live set up when he played in LA last week (he was like, ), but I'm not sure what he does to make a mix and how live it is.

HA!  I hadn't thought of that before, but my sister would play that one album all the time when I was kid, and now I can't stop thinking about the answer to this question.  It really could have been played by Mike using an arpeggio-inator (sic) but it does have a certain je ne sais enya...

ketan said:
    Duderonomy said:
    ketan said:

I just got an up close look at his live set up when he played in LA last week (he was like, ), but I'm not sure what he does to make a mix and how live it is.

HA!  I hadn't thought of that before, but my sister would play that one album all the time when I was kid, and now I can't stop thinking about the answer to this question.  It really could have been played by Mike using an arpeggio-inator (sic) but it does have a certain je ne sais enya...

http://www.factmag.com/2017/10/27/four-tet-studio-meme/

;)

Going on Mike Will's track record of touching '80s and smooth jazz, I almost want it to be Enya. It would make it more sick.

ketan said:

^  She's got an otherworldly voice here and on almost every other thing I've heard by her.  I'm gonna see her live next month and super excited.

NEWER THAN:

I kinda like this new Cut Chemist track.  I haven't heard much of what he's done in recent years but was a big fan bitd.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Five years old but new to me. Mark this as post Twin Peaks Season 3 music I'm lusting for.

And she has a new album coming out shortly I'm very excited about.

Spring + Sunshine = time to start embracing uplifting house music again.

ketan said:
    I kinda like this new Cut Chemist track.  I haven't heard much of what he's done in recent years but was a big fan bitd.

Not what I was expecting. It might grow on me... nothing wrong with it per se, but not grabbing me like his sample-beats-stuff.

ketan said:

Not what I was expecting. It might grow on me... nothing wrong with it per se, but not grabbing me like his sample-beats-stuff.

Yeah definitely not.  But if guy is going to make something different, I'm good with this.

• A question for this thread:

Where do you guys check for new music in 2018? Who do you follow on social shit, what blogs do you read, and so on?

I regularly check a couple of labels I follow and a couple of very genre-specific blogs, but I feel like I'm missing out on something with new stuff.

A question for this thread:

Where do you guys check for new music in 2018? Who do you follow on social shit, what blogs do you read, and so on?

On-line record shops - SoundsOfTehUniverse, Boomkat, Phonica, Bleep, and to a lesser extent Juno (as they don’t really review much but have a great range).

Soundcloud - following artists and labels I like.

FactMagazine.com

Forums!

Actually the Bandcamp artist/fan feed is probably my number one source these days, lots of good stuff pops up there.

I also still keep an eye on Pitchfork, TinyMixTapes and Resident Adviser - as much for what is becoming available as the reviews themselves (though who doesn't enjoy a clickbaiting Pitchfork review once in a while).

Also, yeah, Boomkat is always decent for new dance releases.

I used to follow Soundcoud as well but seem to have lost motivation there - I think the feed has just got too messy. 

Oh, real life friends as well I guess. Though the passionate evenings of youth spent sharing music are now more of a recommendation in passing.

• Oh cool, some good suggestions here - I check SOTU in person pretty often as I work in the area, but I neglect Phonica a bit because I'm less into dance/electronic stuff that I used to be. But FactMagazine, Boomkat, Juno (why didn't I think of this! they even have a "new since I last visited" option), TinyMixTapes etc. are all good shouts.

I don't have many real life friends into the shit I'm into, unfortunately! I used to browse Soundcloud pretty aimlessly and somehow come up with good stuff, but haven't gone on that rabbit hole in a while. OK I'm not missing anything super obvious.

• To get back on track:

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    Always like Edan's production. Has that great gritty funk sound to it.
    I could take or leave Sandman though

The new DJ Koze  album that came out Friday will no doubt be soundtracking a fair bit of the summer.

It's not breaking new ground but is perfect sunny day music.

If you like his stuff I can't recommend it highly enough.

• I've been indulging my luke sick/gurp city sympathies recently. This is adjacent to one of my all time favorite rap albums that sold like 50 copies ("Motel Crew")
    https://qmmusic.bandcamp.com/album/drink-floyd-2
    takes me back to bay area college hip hop radio obsessive days

This is finally getting a release. Order it on bandcamp: https://sneakersocialclub.bandcamp.com/album/sully-faltydl-remixes

My homies finally put out another project.  I'm biased but it's really strong and, if nothing else, totally unique.  This is my joint:  

https://bonjay.bandcamp.com/track/how-come

Again, she writes, sings, plays the instruments on most of her music.

• not enough tracks called "soul strut" yet

For anyone remotely interested in grime. Or who thought they no longer were.

This album is the best thing I've heard in this "genre" since Mr Mitch's Parallel Memories.

Just belatedly discovered Idles and this ticks a lot of my desires to finally hear some new bass driven postpunk music....

• francois parkerfrancois parker formerly know as Parkz. 125 Posts
    Raer street soul jammie that I'd never heard until Be With Record stuck it out a month or so ago.
    Real surpised that the OG was released in 96 as it sounds like it could have come out in 90/91 to me. It must have sounded hella dated in 96, but good music is good music and to my ears this is golden.

Hope to find an OG of this one day as the original has a real nice song on the flip but on the re-issue they have put some awful UK Garage remix on instead, fuck knows why :(
    Will not be buying it off Discogs:

1 For Sale
     from £1,995.00

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Junior said:
    Just belatedly discovered Idles and this ticks a lot of my desires to finally hear some new bass driven postpunk music....

Well, I smiled.

1) He missed a bit.

2) Has he pissed himself?

I guess he didn't shit himself - every cloud, and all that.

• more california shit. I want to be schooled on the differing waves in rap right now because I am not deep enough. soundcloud rap seems huge, but maybe isn't, but what are these guys doing in comparison? is there any comparison to be made? how does rap continue to have regional styles in 2018? yeah

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    this is pretty classy, although it toes the starbucks music line at some points: