Bladerunner 2 (no spoilers!)

DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
edited September 2017 in Strut Central
Anyone hyped about this? Initially I wasn't wild about the idea, but maybe studios have learnt from the Lucas-era Star Wars debacle and are giving directors free reign to pursue franchise sequels/reboots etc as art than merely paint-by-numbers box-office results. The reviews are so universally good that I'm salivating. Caught one 20 second trailer at a cinema, and I'm now awaiting the rapture.
Jimster

Comments

• I had absolutely zero interest or expectation in this since it was announced - mainly because of the end of the original's director's cut. Like, if you watched that... why is ________ in this movie? I know it was ambiguous, but I also know what was the more meaningful ending.

But there's been loads of positivity around it, and what I've seen has not really been in the "it's comfortable for the hardcore fans" way, so I might give it a go.

I love movies, I studied film and work on them, but I get cautious when things grow "fandoms", and when THOSE get sequels I get really cautious. I just want there to be good movies, I don't want subcultures based around fantasizing yourself into their worlds.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I'm interested only because of the reviews. But Interstellar got raves too, and that movie was just two decent action films crammed into one.

Anyone see that new Alien movie? Saw some people saying good things about that one as well, got me curious but I haven't checked it out yet.

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    no rutger hauer?
    no vangelis?
    it's gonna suck like Prometheus did 

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I doesn't suck.

It's not the same as the OG, and without the otherworldy music of Vangelis it doesn't feel quite the same, but it is a thought-provoking film, full of great imagery. Still digesting just how good. For me it's 8 out of 10 territory. My only complaint is that it doesn't feel as emotional, which, given the subject matter is a shame - the thing I liked about the OG is that the fake humans were more human than the real ones. More vulnerable. Maybe the new film needs more suffering!

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    I doesn't suck.

It's not the same as the OG, and without the otherworldy music of Vangelis it doesn't feel quite the same, but it is a thought-provoking film, full of great imagery. Still digesting just how good. For me it's 8 out of 10 territory. My only complaint is that it doesn't feel as emotional, which, given the subject matter is a shame - the thing I liked about the OG is that the fake humans were more human than the real ones. More vulnerable. Maybe the new film needs more suffering!
    I feel the same way. I enjoyed it, but the OG did a great job of creating sympathy for most of the replicants, except for Leon, oddly. 

The sequel, while interesting, was more emotionally flat and felt more like a Hollywood formula film. I still enjoyed it and would recommend it, but it won't ever come near the status of the OG. 

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I felt that the goodies and the baddies all wanted the same thing.  So they were on the same side.  And Jared Leto was too OTT.  Visually great doe.
    para11ax

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Jimster said:
    I felt that the goodies and the baddies all wanted the same thing.  So they were on the same side.  And Jared Leto was too OTT.  Visually great doe.

It did indeed look amazing. The whole thing felt strangely disjointed and unfinished though. But, intentionally so, like it was deliberately trying to recreate the patchwork feel of the first one.

Leto was reliably poor and out of place. Could do with a break from Ford's greatest hits tour.

Think I'd like to watch it again sometime, but no time soon.

Disclaimer though that I'm not a big fan of Villeneuve anyway. 

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Have tried to start this a couple of times now and never been in the mood (can't explain it - I loved the original).  Third times' a charm?  I hear it's worth seeing.

Junior said:

I do think he's over-rated, but Arrival was really good IMO.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    ketan said:
    Have tried to start this a couple of times now and never been in the mood (can't explain it - I loved the original).  Third times' a charm?  I hear it's worth seeing.

Junior said:

I do think he's over-rated, but Arrival was really good IMO.

Yeah it does warm up a bit as it goes along but it depends a bit on how much you can engage with an emotionless smirking Gosling for over 2 and a half hours. Plus theatrical Leto.

Yeah I liked the story of Arrival a lot but even then I did struggle a bit with the endless Malik-lite set of deep gaze shots over ambient music that populated the film.