Albums that you put you into transcendental bliss

2»

Comments

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

I worked on the photo shoot and did all of the retouching for this CD cover and booklet. Yanni is a nice guy in person, and his house is

But lord does the music suck.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Been digging Steve Roach alot lately....

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    ^ cosine.  i grabbed that reissue recently...

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I found this for a few bucks a while back, it's great to put on and space out:

RAJcove

ppadilha said:
    I found this for a few bucks a while back, it's great to put on and space out:

Great choice.... The whole album is amazing end to end.

• This album always gets me:

I also really like anything by Express Rising:

• I also just finished a mix that's semi-transcendental depending on your perspective:

https://www.mixcloud.com/rcwinkly/gentle-sounds/

Killing Me Softly Intro

The Singers Unlimited

Something

Bud Shank & The Bob Alcivar Singers

Cry Baby Cry

Ramsey Lewis

A Day In The Life

Gabor Szabo

My Own Revolution

The Novi Singers

An Elegy

The Free Design

Flight Of The Ibis

McDonald And Giles

Tiptoe on the Highest Hill

Twink

Sleepy Hollow People

Paper Fortress

Grains Of Sand

Marcus

We Can Fly

Portobello Explosion

Welcome To The Rain

Mid Day Rain

The Signs Part 1

David Axelrod

Winter’s Going

Bonnie Dobson

Four Robins Singing

Tyree Forrest

Today

Jefferson Airplane

Never My Love

Tom Scott

Crystal Blue Persuasion

The Dave Pell Singers

The Visit

The Cyrkle

The 59th Street Bridge Song (Feeling Groovy)

Simon & Garfunkel

One Of These Things First

Nick Drake

Can't Find My Way Home

Blind Faith

'khan jamal - drum dance to the motherland' got me through my doctoral studies.

Mark Isham - Film Music

• I've never been able to connect to this kind of music - like, I'm one of those people who can't really put music on as a background to anything verbal (reading, conversation, work). It kind of monopolizes my attention - so the more meditative and mellow something is, the harder it is for me to get with. The closest thing for me so far I guess is drum/percussion-only recordings.

So what's a recommendation as an "in" to this kind of stuff for someone like this?

Godspeed - F# A#

I've never been able to connect to this kind of music - like, I'm one of those people who can't really put music on as a background to anything verbal (reading, conversation, work). It kind of monopolizes my attention - so the more meditative and mellow something is, the harder it is for me to get with. The closest thing for me so far I guess is drum/percussion-only recordings.

So what's a recommendation as an "in" to this kind of stuff for someone like this?

I think Music for 18 Musicians is really accessible and captivating.  Have you heard that? 

cove

• I've heard a little of Steve Reich (enough to get the joke in the cake video), but haven't sat down with it. I'll give it a go, thanks.

I've heard a little of Steve Reich (enough to get the joke in the cake video), but haven't sat down with it. I'll give it a go, thanks.

Check out the Tycho albums.  It's a great gateway drug.  Also Gigi Masin and Gaussian Curve... alot of the MFM stuff is fantastic.

klezmer electro-thug beats

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    The recent Josef Leimberg set is really growing on me.

"As I Think of You" has a mhadd vocal from Georgia Anne Muldrow which is worth admission alone.

• Good call on 18 musicians... I can't say I was transcending our dimension but it does sit nicer in the background than most. I will check out Tycho etc next.