Container Shipping Wax

I've got about 20 crates of vinyl I need to ship from Florida to the UK and was wondering if people have experience with prepping the boxes to reduce any potential damage as much as possible? It's still hot in FL in October so I'm worried about them being in a big metal box across the sea - this is my lifetime collection!

Currently they're in plastic milk crates, wrapped in black trash bags and taped round with duct tape, so they're secure and water tight but there's no thermal insulation there at all. I'm pretty sure I'll need to do something; I'm going to ask the shipping company what they suggest from their end, like an AC unit or something, but wonder if any of you lovely Strutters can share any tips?

Cheers.
TAGGED:

Comments

• RhythmGJRhythmGJ Buffalo, NY 219 Posts
    It will be expensive, but I would look into SKB, Gator, Calzone, Anvil, Pelican type cases for your records (with locks, obviously), or at least some old school trunks. I would then pack them in bubble-wrap/foam and plastic inside the cases, and maybe even have the cases/trunks wrapped in that giant "Saranwrap" type plastic wrap that some international airports and shipping companies use.

Better safe than sorry. I've had albums and jackets ruined just through the domestic mail, and a few instruments beat to shreds on international trips. Put them in water-tight, _fall/bump-proof_ containers of some kind, preferably with metal corners. I used to work loading and unloading airplanes; it is all about speed and not much about caution at all. I can't imagine dockworkers are any better. Remember, you spent many years gathering these musical artifacts. No one will care for them more than you...

GJ

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I'm not saying you shouldn't do what mr. RhythmGJ suggests, but a few years back I did a cross-ocean move and just had my records packed tightly in cardboard boxes. They arrived fine. I figured as long as they're packed tight enough that they don't move inside the box, and the boxes are close enough together that they don't move around in the container, they would be fine. Since you have them in crates already, I would just wrap those in cardboard to add another layer of protection. Also, from my experience the shipping company won't give two fucks about your stuff, even if you ask them for some suggestions.

>>>>Also, from my experience the shipping company won't give two f**** about your stuff, even if you ask them for some suggestions.<<<<

That's what I'm on about, actually; my very point. OP, you have to decide, but I wouldn't leave it to chance, especially after having some experience in a related field where saw the excesses of low-paid hourly staff first hand...

Do what you feel is best and most cost effective, of course...

GJ

• Cheers fellas. I've got about 20 or so crates of wax so buying flight cases would be too prohibitively expensive, it's costing enough to ship the fuckers in the first place. As I say they're already in green plastic milk crates (definitely not from a well known SE US supermarket) and wrapped in trash bags with duct tape criss-crossing over to parcel wrap them. I think I'll try and source some cardboard boxes I can put those into and stuff the excess with bubble wrap and that should be fine... Fingers crossed it's enough!

Yes, it's mostly corners you should be concerned about. But if you'd like to see some pictures of one of my last "through the mail" vinyl orders, feel free to e-mail me and I will send you the horrific evidence (cardboard doesn't do all that much, bruh). RhythmGJ at Yahoo dot com.

Also, see if you can find that plastic wrap I posted about. They have these big turntable/spindles they can put your luggage/package/boxes on, and then wrap the thing in plastic like it's going in a giant refrigerator; as many layers as you like. Every little bit helps, and if you can't afford hard cases, I would load the crap out of those boxes with bubble wrap and the exterior with travel-wrap. Also, look into some kind of insurance if you haven't already...

In the words of the immortal Stan Lee-- " 'Nuff Said."

GJ

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'd say sell off the filler and stuff that you could easily pick up in the UK when you're there.