Def Jam - First release question

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
Had a convo with a few friends lastnight about this.

What do you consider the first Def Jam rls? I know most say it's I Need A Beat.

But I've always said it was It's Yours. Yes, it's really on Partytime but it still had the Def Jam logo on it.

I can remember having a test press for It's Yours back around 93 and it's had the NYC dorm room address (Side note: I wonder if thats still a dorm room).

Also, another Def Jam question... I come across the Beastie Boys Rock Hard 12" once and awhile. Did they ever get sample clearance on that? Did they reissue that or did someone do a boot of it?

Has anyone ever come across the test press for it? I know that goes for a couple of bills. Anyone got a pic for me of it?

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    The first time the Def Jam logo appeared on a record was on Rick Rubin's band "Hose." Haze designed the cover and hand drew the logo at the bottom.

now you know.

technically def jam was not a label until "I need a beat" though ... DEFJAM001

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    The first time the Def Jam logo appeared on a record was on Rick Rubin's band "Hose." Haze designed the cover and hand drew the logo at the bottom.

now you know.

Dope.. Thx for the info. The one on It's yours looks like a copy of something hand drawn. A straight copy of that?

What was Hose? Hard rock?

• I can remember having a test press for It's Yours back around 93 and it's had the NYC dorm room address (Side note: I wonder if thats still a dorm room).

I thought it was `Its Yours` too.
    I know it's PartyTime but could've sworn it says Def Jam somewhere on it...
    Will have to peep my copy.

on a semi-related note;
    I have a 12" promo/test press of Orange Krush's Action with the Rush Groove Productions contact info (Russel or Larry's phone #???) hand written on it.
    I always kinda dug that. I still play it too!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Also, another Def Jam question... I come across the Beastie Boys Rock Hard 12" once and awhile. Did they ever get sample clearance on that? Did they reissue that or did someone do a boot of it?

Has anyone ever come across the test press for it? I know that goes for a couple of bills. Anyone got a pic for me of it?

Pretty sure its never been booted or reissued on vinyl at all... and there's been no legit CD release

No pic cover, just the early maroon DJ generic sleeve

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

now you know.

Dope.. Thx for the info. The one on It's yours looks like a copy of something hand drawn. A straight copy of that?

i'm curious too. any good?

how's the Haze cover?

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

now you know.

how's the Haze cover?

That record is pretty weird--not my cup of tea, but I'm sure some folks would love it. It's got some original songs (people compare them to Flipper) as well as weird punky/noisy covers of "super freak" and "you sexy thing." I never saw the pic cover--just a plain jacket with a yellow (?) label that had a drawn def jam logo.

here's the FLEX entry for this record:
    http://www.fuzzlogic.com/flex/h/2387.php

• The first time the Def Jam logo appeared on a record was on Rick Rubin's band "Hose." Haze designed the cover and hand drew the logo at the bottom.

now you know.

how's the Haze cover?

there is a Hose lp and 7". the 7" comes in a brown paper(bag) sleeve. musics just ok. everyone compares it to the noisy punk band flipper. i keep the 7" around just for rarities sake. never seen another. sold the lp, cover was nice though. interesting footnote about the 7", its distrubted by 99 records. can i get a on it?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    weird punky/noisy covers of "super freak" and "you sexy thing."

mp3's?

• The first time the Def Jam logo appeared on a record was on Rick Rubin's band "Hose." Haze designed the cover and hand drew the logo at the bottom.

now you know.

Pretty interesting stuff. but nothing super crazy. didn't know the haze reference though. is that the red, yellow, black box looking one? did he do the og def jam logo?

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    weird punky/noisy covers of "super freak" and "you sexy thing."

mp3's?

never owned the record--a friend had it and played it for me. for what it's worth, my face is still intact

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

Pretty sure its never been booted or reissued on vinyl at all... and there's been no legit CD release

No pic cover, just the early maroon DJ generic sleeve

Yeah, it's the one I always find. I've solds it for $40-50 a few times.
    Last I heard AC/DC said no to giving sample clearence on it a few years back.

I've always wanted to see the test press. Each one is hand written by one of them. I think its AD Rock, but don't quote me on that.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yeah, I think the AC/DC quote to the Beasties on that was "Sorry, we don't believe in bands that don't play their own instruments" or something. Maybe just a myth though.