You. Lately.

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
It's been a minute since I've been on here.  Checking in to see how you are doing?

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Life is good. Financially probably not great, but very happy with my life-work balance, in a fun relationship and living in a great city. Making plans for following my girl wherever her job takes her - Oz first destination of choice for at least a few years, but we are both happy to take whatever opportunities come along.
    Music: a fekking great year so far for the kind of underground shit I'm into, but need to get off my butt and find a DJing gig so I can educate the heathens. Still miss vinyl, but my life is so much more flexible without thousands of records in tow.
    Politics/current affairs are at once horrifying and fascinating in equal measure, but I don't like the drift to the extreme right we are witnessing across the West.
    para11axJunior

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Me:

Settling into middle age nicely... working hard... making money... and spending lots of quality time with the wife and kids.

Music is still a huge part of my life.  I'm playing guitar in 3 music projects and even unearthed all the analog gear and starting recording again.  I only get out Friday mornings to go dig and take what the local spot can offer.  I even find myself buying cheap used CDs again and force myself to listen to albums all the way through.
    JuniorEIGHTY

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Me:

Working hard.  Not making any money.  Or, what comes in, goes out.  Got a week left on this contract, then who knows where the wind will blow.

Got the man-cave/cabin setup properly now and getting to play bass a lot more.  Think I am 95% there with mastering the five-string.  Loving my music still.  So much new stuff out there with the interwebs, like drinking from a fire hose.  Thank God for the Strut and Duder and dem to weed out the gold from the dog muck.

Not collecting vinyl personally - there is just no room.  Have it all digitially now.  Also, spending most of this weekend clearing out my dad's chud which drives home just how much shit we acquire and really have no need for.  They have to move downstairs and the clutter is unbelieveable. Glad I don't have the hoarding gene.

Unless it comes to basses  

Junior

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Lurkin w kid (4 yr old) and fam.
    still buggin on records. 
    Meager discogs gripping. 
    Springtime so working on the property and the garden more soon. 
    Local Funk vinyl gig last sat of each month at a bar. 
    C'mon through, $100 for out of town headliners, whatup?! (Sebastopol ca)
    i wanna make a "bespoke", "modern agricultural", "reclaimed materials" type of DJ table for these winery gig private events/weddings etc. so I been looking at craigslist and other spots for tall table legs and stuff. 
    Jam space creation and skateboarding knee rehab are creeping to the top of the things to do list, slowly but surely. 
    Junior

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Raj,

I have been well, just very busy finishing up mixing and mastering our album.  I'll drop a link in the announcements.  I hope all is well with you and all the 'Strutters.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    JuniorRAJ

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Good topic brother,

Lately I've been spending most of my time working on my health, and all of the closest people around me. Removing parasites from my diet and all of my relationships by focusing on removing negativity, and naturally growing farther away from even my closest friends and family. Creating my own spirituality, following my own path, and selling all of my possessions so I can travel more. I'm only interested in creating healthy music now, because I'm no longer a slave to my ears or my mind or my heart. I've quit working for any companies now, and I've been only using my own intelligence to finance my life. Shedding my vices and western influences, learning to listen to more silence. Always being grateful to the earth, and being alive everyday, and being able to get more knowledge about everything. My thirst for knowledge remains forever unquenchable. 

- spidey
    deezleeJuniorRAJ

Shit dude - does that mean no Kanye?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    So L*o when are you heading off into the world? Do I need to speed up with my Barca visit?

Pleased to hear that people are good and that life continues to be an adventure - be it with new arrivals, new challenges, or new locations.

Me:

Still settling back into daily life after three months of enjoying the world and the people who populate it. Foolishly assumed that travelling would somehow solve the questions I have buzzing around my head; it didn't but I had a wonderful time anyway. 
    Learning to accept that there will always be sacrifices and that part of the joy of knowing people from all walks of life is that you are always going to have to balance time seeing them and the places you have fallen in love with. 
    Financially good but workwise spiritually bankrupt and looking to give myself more freedom in that area with some kind of remote job.
    Music wise I am in a very happy place, the more I hear the more there is to discover and I am delighted that this continues to be the case.
    Looking on paring down my belongings a bit, maybe finally purging 95% of the vinyl to follow the movies. Holding off on saying goodbye to the books though - digital just can't match on that front.

Mainly trying to get back to the moment of peace I felt waking up on a campsite at the top of a volcano to the smell of Eucalyptus and not a single worry in my head.
    DuderonomyJimsterRAJ

Junior said:

Mainly trying to get back to the moment of peace I felt waking up on a campsite at the top of a volcano to the smell of Eucalyptus and not a single worry in my head.
    It's the smell of molten lava you need to worry about

b/w

Did you catch up with any Strutteurs IRL?

Both me and the one @djwaxon were at the same Harlem Globetrotters game the other week but didn't know this beforehand.

Jimster said:
    Junior said:

It's the smell of molten lava you need to worry about

b/w

Did you catch up with any Strutteurs IRL?

Both me and the one @djwaxon were at the same Harlem Globetrotters game the other week but didn't know this beforehand.
    I was all up for a bit of human sacrificeness, Joe vs The Volcano style.

Ha, it's a small world out there...

I met up with Mr Kicks79 for a few quick beers in Sydney following which he never posted on this site again - continuing my HIghlander style removal of fellow Strutteurs (shout out to Chizzle and the one DuttyBabylon). A lovely fellow who tolerated my fried brain with patience and decorum.

I also had the pleasure of meeting L*o's brother in Asia and staying at his hut for a few days - an experience which I have nothing but fond memories off and thoroughly recommend it if you ever get the chance.

Sadly that was it - almost got to Noz's record store in Oakland but ran out of time. Looking forward to meeting some more when we finally get Canada way, maybe even hunting down Bassie.
    Duderonomy

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Junior said:

Sadly that was it - almost got to Noz's record store in Oakland but ran out of time. 
    Which store is it?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Shit dude - does that mean no Kanye?
    LOL, I guess the only thing I've ever liked about Kanye was when he was comparing himself to Jodorowsky and Tesla. 

jjfad027 said:
    Junior said:

Sadly that was it - almost got to Noz's record store in Oakland but ran out of time. 
    Which store is it?
    Park Blvd Records.

http://shop.parkblvdrecords.com/

Didn't realise he was shut some days and turned out that my planned visit would have been to a closed store. Would have been nice to support an ex-strutteur and had to let down my friend who was fiending for some hip hop tapes (cocaine blunts optional) but was probably good for my rucksack/weight balance. Maybe next time though.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Junior said:
    jjfad027 said:
    Junior said:

Which store is it?
    Park Blvd Records.

http://shop.parkblvdrecords.com/

Didn't realise he was shut some days and turned out that my planned visit would have been to a closed store. Would have been nice to support an ex-strutteur and had to let down my friend who was fiending for some hip hop tapes (cocaine blunts optional) but was probably good for my rucksack/weight balance. Maybe next time though.
    Thanks. I'll have to check it out

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    i moved out of my bed bug ridden apartment and into this girls place in early january. that lasted one month before she started hitting me(twice is a trend to me) and i moved into my unemployed and alcoholic friends studio with him, sleeping on a second hand mattress. this has caused us to go broke after 2 weeks every month. our water pumps functionality has come and gone until the landlord fixed it last week. my friend got a job early this month so on friday we will have a decent amount of money. my boss is getting more and more passive aggressive, now i only want to get fired. 

i'm too old for this

on the pluss side i'm getting thinner and the girls are still looking at me. all these agents want to recruit me to jobs because nobody speaks my language and my countrymen are too spoiled to work like this. 
    JuniorDuderonomy

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    foe said:
    i moved out of my bed bug ridden apartment and into this girls place in early january. that lasted one month before she started hitting me(twice is a trend to me) and i moved into my unemployed and alcoholic friends studio with him, sleeping on a second hand mattress. this has caused us to go broke after 2 weeks every month. our water pumps functionality has come and gone until the landlord fixed it last week. my friend got a job early this month so on friday we will have a decent amount of money. my boss is getting more and more passive aggressive, now i only want to get fired. 

i'm too old for this

on the pluss side i'm getting thinner and the girls are still looking at me. all these agents want to recruit me to jobs because nobody speaks my language and my countrymen are too spoiled to work like this. 

Damn... Keep your head up.

foe said:

i'm too old for this

Stay strong my man! 

You should have a word with the Duder. He had a few adventures with wild and crazy housemates and now seems to be in a very good place so there are always brighter skies on the horizon....
    Duderonomy

Word - Foe's situation rang a few bells, and not in a good way. Nothing I can say that won't have crossed your own mind Foe, just remember to keep a stiff upper lip, and I found tequila was always a good short-term solution to, well, everything.
    Junior

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    i'm about 2 hours from getting paid! all the things i will buy. i'm going to put on about 20 kilos over this 3 day weekend. 
    JuniorDuderonomy

Word - Foe's situation rang a few bells, and not in a good way. Nothing I can say that won't have crossed your own mind Foe, just remember to keep a stiff upper lip, and I found tequila was always a good short-term solution to, well, everything.
    The "T" word.

Mate, that bathroom was like "The Exorcist" meets "Mr. Kreosote".

Proper 48-hour hangover.

GOOD TIMES!
    Duderonomy

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    I have started playing basketball again after not playing consistently for 10+ years. Broke a part of my pinky two weeks ago playing and will be good to go in three weeks. I enjoy it, releases a ton of stress that I have during the work week. Last year I made a bandcamp for my "small indie label". I put out someones single that looking back was so so production wise. I am looking into putting out someones work that is into getting paid but not expecting a label with any resources, the struggle labels, struggle label. I don't feel the same way about Hip Hop or beat tapes the way I used to. I am gravitating more into punk, post hardcore and prog metal again. Hip Hop and beats will forever be my first love but the content that is being released is not up to the quality that I was brought up on *Kanye shrug*. My son just turned 17 and has one more year of high school left, then he is gone to college hopefully. My fiance is wrapping up her bachelors degree in 6 months then rolling right into her masters degree. She wants to start having kids soon. Such is life....

Eighty
    JuniorRAJJimster

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    life is good.
    ketanDuderonomyJuniorRAJDOR

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    did you end up going back to school like Dangerfield?

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    ketan said:
    yeah my man.  

finished up my cognitive science degree and landed back asswards at a capital investment firm.   currently an account executive and the creative director.

less working the fingers to the bone, more time in front of a glowing screen and on the golf course.

funny thing, life.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    ketan said:
    yeah my man.  

finished up my cognitive science degree and landed back asswards at a capital investment firm.   currently an account executive and the creative director.

less working the fingers to the bone, more time in front of a glowing screen and on the golf course.

funny thing, life.

huh, it can certainly be a windy path.  does the cognitive science stuff give you any sort of insight or edge in your current work?  

at least you have a(nother) diploma you can hang in your office!

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I've just been riding bikes. Trying to pedal away from the dread.

Trying to pedal away from the dread.

Impossible!

foe

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    I've been into various outdoorsy stuff: fishing, bicycling, hiking and whatnot. Still into records, but haven't been finding as much as I used to ("got it", "got it", "got it"....). Trying to "return" to making beats, but I still struggle to find that creative spark which seems to come naturally to other people. I've finally moved out on my own a year ago. Going back to college in a month to study machining/metal working. Sticking labels on boxes for a small company with elderly owners has been my job for the past 5 years (ehh...) but the plus side is that summer's the season to load up my savings account (bonuses). Seen some good shows, Eduardo Arenas and Ronnie Foster, most recently.
    Jimster

Been out of contract since the start of the month and in all honesty, enjoying the time off.  No more 5:20 AM alarms.  There have been offers but not to my liking.  J*el, that Makita cordless drill is a thing of wonder.  I WIELD IT AS POTTER DOES HIS WANG WAND.  Shutters, telly brackets, cabin essentials... to a man with a drill in his hand, everything looks like a screw.  :ayo:

Been spending the rest of the days swatting up on Microsoft tech and chilling with the Mrs.  Interview next week for something interesting...

Jimster said:
    to a man with a drill in his hand, everything looks like a screw
    This is poetry.
    DORGibbo