Funky Grateful Dead ? Plus Shakedown Breakdown

I sometimes mix Shakedown Street into funk/disco/boogie sets. 

Hot DJ tip: Shakedown street is a Dead song that you can play without totally sidetracking your set. 
If you play pretty much any other Dead song you are pretty much done might as well just put on a bootleg and call it a night cause once they go Dead they don't go back. 
The disco factor in Shakedown Street keeps them slightly in the Funk Zone, not quite allowing them to drop into full jangling-layers-of-spiraling-harmony-grateful-dead-all-night mode.
You won't know it until it happens but someday you will be in a situation where this DJ tip might just save you or someone you love. 

Okay back to my question for y'all:
Any other Dead or Jerry songs (or them doing covers) that are funky (or at least sorta funky)? Album or live. 
Anyone have a favorite funkiest live Shakedown Street that's a good recording?
Thanks
bennyboy

Comments

• There are a few funky moments on this album.

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Interesting never seen that I'll check it out thanks

• bgm722bgm722 3 Posts
    longtime lurker first time poster

the Mickey Hart Diga album is great.  not sure about mixing it in - someone once told me that one of the tracks was a b-boy thing.  not sure if that was a joke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diga_(album)

Mek_Jagger

I like that. I could see how someone could say some of that sounds like some Bboy breaks. Bongo band style. 

And that album hooteroll... The drummer is getting some for sure. 

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    I only really liked the newer songs like Touch of Grey, mix it with some 2 Live Crew or DJ Assault-Ass and Titties and watch the reaction :P 
    Seriously though Blues for Allah lp has a drum break or something funky if I remember correctly.

Thanks I'll check it out. 

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    Casey Jones

^^^ huh! Yeah that's a good idea I'll check for a seventies live recording to see if there is a extra upbeat version. 

^^^ unless yer messing w me

• Eyes of the World has a little funky bounce to it. Some versions more than others. I once played Ace Frehley - New York Groove into Shakedown into Eyes and it went over very well. But it was a situation where I knew it was the right crowd for it. During Shakedown, someone asked me very seriously, "This is SO good, who is this?" 

Nice, thanks. I followed the Dead back in the day (94 spring tour+) but I was more likely to be looking for skate spots then studying set lists. 
    ...so I know enough about their music to know that I can't scratch the surface of a true head's knowledge. 
    I can ask my friends for ideas but they are heavy deadheads, not knowing about the funk like y'all. 
    I think I'm going to start by finding a legendary live Shakedown and pressing a dub plate. 

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts

Dancing In The Streets from the famous Cornell '77 show.

^^^ nice, thanks
    funky drums at the beginning are what's up. 
    And the heads would know the cornel show. 
    I can surely use this song to mix from funk into the dead. Dunno if I could get back to the funk from it though. 
    Once you drop a dead song around deadheads it's hard to get back to anything else, somehow shakedown keeps em in the boogie zone though. 
    Thanks y'all. 

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    18 years on soulstrut and we've finally recognized the Grateful Dead as the seminal group they are. My work is done here. Should we talk about Phish now? Their 2001 rendition is funky as schit. 

• ppadilhappadilha 2,231 Posts
    NateBizzo said:
    Should we talk about Phish now?

BAN
    deezleeNateBizzo