General European digging question regarding pic sleeve 45s

I've been picking up pic sleeve 45s of some of the really common stuff that I still like from the 60s, 70s and 80s. However, there are several titles that charted well in the US, but never got a picture sleeve issued domestically. In almost every case, however, many of the Euro releases did have pic sleeves. If I visited any major metropolitan European city (use Amsterdam, London, Paris or Munich as examples) would I likely find all kinds of different European pressings in one city? Would there likely be lots of German pressings in London, for instance? Again, I'm talking about yacht rock and Billboard Top 100 kind of stuff here.

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    I found more of these in Bangkok than England.

• You'll find a ton of pic sleeves in the country they were released generally, but not other countries. Germany for instance in most major cities there are record/book 2nd hand shops with a load of German releases. You're not likely to find many in the U.K./London, they weren't imported as usually the titles were released domestically so no point in inflated import priced copies, as a rule.

• Yeah I don't happen across a disproportionate number of picture sleeve 45s in the UK compared to the US, but then, I don't exactly dig far & wide.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Picture sleeves were more commonly used in mainland Europe countries then in the UK in the 60's/70's. Majority of UK issues were either company bags or generic sleeves. As Soulcitizen says, in Spain you'll get lots of Spanish picture sleeves, in Germany, German sleeves etc.

Best bet would be to head to Utrecht for one of their fairs, and you'll fill your boots.
    waxjunky

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Thanks for the responses, everyone!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Luckily I don't really care where the pic sleeve is from, as long as there's some cover art. Going to Utrecht is a really good idea.

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    You'll find a ton of pic sleeves in the country they were released generally, but not other countries. Germany for instance in most major cities there are record/book 2nd hand shops with a load of German releases. You're not likely to find many in the U.K./London, they weren't imported as usually the titles were released domestically so no point in inflated import priced copies, as a rule.
    I scored a whole bunch of German picture cover 45s from a store here in Sydney in the early 2000s. The owner bought the collection from a roller disco somewhere in Germany that had closed down.
    So you never know where they will turn up!
    I got a bunch of stuff from Lyn Collins, Funkadelic, James Brown, Kool and The Gang and Jimmy Castor type joints. Nothing rare, but nice to have the covers.
    Good luck with your search!

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    kicks79 said:
    You'll find a ton of pic sleeves in the country they were released generally, but not other countries. Germany for instance in most major cities there are record/book 2nd hand shops with a load of German releases. You're not likely to find many in the U.K./London, they weren't imported as usually the titles were released domestically so no point in inflated import priced copies, as a rule.
    I scored a whole bunch of German picture cover 45s from a store here in Sydney in the early 2000s. The owner bought the collection from a roller disco somewhere in Germany that had closed down.
    I got a bunch of stuff from Lyn Collins, Funkadelic, James Brown, Kool and The Gang and Jimmy Castor type joints. Nothing rare, but nice to have the covers.

kicks79 said:

as much as I want to believe it, I think there weren't any roller discos in Germany.  I've never met a single person who has attended one nor did I hear about the existence of such a joint. Please chime in if you can prove me wrong.

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    Not totally unbelievable. here's a story in English about German roller rinks. 

http://roller.sk8.berlin/roller-rinks-in-deutschland-in-den-1980er-jahren/
    finelikewine