Favorite LP Gimmick

2»

Comments

• press out s - t- e- v- i - e mobile on the stevie album

colour in pages on sgt peppers

• pop up from goblin, suspiria soundtrack

• I like Jethro Tull???s ???Thick as a Brick??? cover, which folds out to a whole newspaper with about 8 pages, with articles and a crossword puzzle and all kinds of shit.

That's why I like the Four Seasons' Genuine Imitation Life Gazette. I am not normally a fan of this group, but I bought the Four Seasons for three reasons:

(a) the elaborate foldout cover with newspaper insert, featuring satirical articles and funny pages drawn by underground comix legend Skip Williamson
    (b) this was their' attempted "psych" album, and I was morbidly curious
    (c) at fifty cents and in mint condition, why not?

The record inside sucked, but the cover justifies keeping it. Predated the Jethro Tull elpee by four years. The newspaper-as-cover idea has been reused time and time again - Louis Jordan, Tom Waits, Fantastic Four, etc.. But the Seasons and Tull had the most imaginative use of it.

stratasphere said:

Jesse Hill - Naturally ( not that good musically )

Good to know. I gave this a quick needle drop in a record store, wasn't impressed, and nineteen years later am wondering if I made a mistake by leaving it behind. I guess my initial judgement was right (my friend and DJ partner didn't like it either).

• POST DELETED
    accidental repost

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    I like Jethro Tull???s ???Thick as a Brick??? cover, which folds out to a whole newspaper with about 8 pages, with articles and a crossword puzzle and all kinds of shit.

That's why I like the Four Seasons' Genuine Imitation Life Gazette. I am not normally a fan of this group, but I bought the Four Seasons for three reasons:

(a) the elaborate foldout cover with newspaper insert, featuring satirical articles and funny pages drawn by underground comix legend Skip Williamson
    (b) this was their' attempted "psych" album, and I was morbidly curious
    (c) at fifty cents and in mint condition, why not?

The record inside sucked, but the cover justifies keeping it. Predated the Jethro Tull elpee by four years. The newspaper-as-cover idea has been reused time and time again - Louis Jordan, Tom Waits, Fantastic Four, etc.. But the Seasons and Tull had the most imaginative use of it.

stratasphere said:

Jesse Hill - Naturally ( not that good musically )

Good to know. I gave this a quick needle drop in a record store, wasn't impressed, and nineteen years later am wondering if I made a mistake by leaving it behind. I guess my initial judgement was right (my friend and DJ partner didn't like it either).

That Jesse Hill is a big disappointment.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Reynaldo said:

I immediately thought of this. I have never owned one.
    Six sided record with the vortex pop up thing on the cover.

There are so many gimmick records.
    The Marley is very cool and elaborate. And oversized. Another oversized one is the New Tweedy Brothers.
    http://collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=200430168280

Oversized covers are a pain in the ass. I have a Sophie Tucker lp I should throw in the trash but have kept for years because of the thick oversized cover.

Looking around my room my current favorite gimmick I see is an old one sided RCA 78 with an elaborate etching on the back.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-QB6uG3l4nA/SkWnYT7L75I/AAAAAAAAAYI/LtRtV3rFqDs/s1600-h/RCA-TranscriptionDisc.jpg

• lamaslamas 39 Posts
    looking for an album that I thought was posted here a while ago.  the cover featured pop-up animals like a children's book.  pretty sure it was a jazz album.  might've been french... 

• The first Caroliner record was housed in unused Chrome Box boxes and each one was uniquely played with.  Mine was filled with crushed peanut shells.  It was years before all the little bits were finally gone.