If a Tree Falls on Soul Strut

Comments

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I have Telegram but few of my contacts use it.
    I love Telegram. I've converted a lot of my closest friends to it. But it's hard for it to grow when no one has any contacts who also use it. No one wants to be the first person on the dancefloor, or something.
    This kind of messaging app is the future.  Bots replace apps.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

passenger pigeon

Duderonomycove

• I just do dead drops. My homies know to look in the crumpled coke can in the bush next to the 4th telephone pole S-SE of the traffic lights every Friday for a tightly-rolled up scroll of paper in an ingestible capsule with the latest in family news, political comment and shitty memes from me and no one is the wiser
    RAJ

• Nowonder Julia Roberts fell for this ugly cocksucker,,,  This shit is genius

dukeofdelridge

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    Hey having "why does soulstrut suck now compared to the days that the old school members remember" threads stickied all the time is maybe creating a feedback loop.

It sorta says "this site is done or almost done". 

I check the site everyday but it's starting to feel i'ts not for new poasters. 

I'm always the one to chime in and say "keep going, the site is current to me" but if you keep asking maybe you are looking for a different answer. 

No hating just letting you know the perspective of an outsider. 

Thanks for everything, this is still the best music site on the web. 

• EIGHTYEIGHTY 224 Posts
    Can't relive the past Raj if that is what you are looking for. Keeping the message board up for archival use is a good idea. Times are changing and a lot of people are moving into digital formats of music. If you want to keep the Strut going then maybe it's time to start thinking about providing content to the site. Or putting out other people's music as a indie label. Always push forward never backwards. 

Hope this helps. 

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    Jimster said:
    foe said:
    facebook still have manual checks of pictures so i doubt they are listening to your phone yet. on the phone you do give them access to your mail and through that they suggest everyone you have been in contact with since forever. they have definitely not gotten as far as some of you are afraid they have, yet. they check what the friends you recently been talking to are doing and post that shit for you. and you got the red car theory.

They can and do.  It depends on your privacy settings.

Read it.  http://www.salimvirani.com/facebook/

• They have and continue to create false endorsements for products from you to your friends - and they never reveal this to you.
    • When you see a like button on the web, Facebook is tracking that you’re reading that page. It scans the keywords on that page and associates them to you. It knows much time you spend on different sites and topics.
    • They read your private messages and the contents of the links you send privately.
    • They’ve introduced features that turn your phone’s mic on – based on their track-record changing privacy settings, audio surveillance is likely to start happening without your knowledge.
    • They can use face recognition to track your location through pictures , even those that aren’t on Facebook. (Pictures taken with mobile phones have time, date and GPS data built into them.)
    • They’ve used snitching campaigns to trick people’s friends into revealing information about them that they chose to keep private.
    • They use the vast amount of data they have on you, from your likes, things you read, things you type but don’t post, to make highly accurate models about who you are – even if you make it a point of keeping these things secret. There are statistical techniques, which have been used in marketing for decades, that find correlating patterns between someone’s behaviour and their attributes. Even if you never posted anything, they can easily work out your age, gender, sexual orientation and political views. When you post, they work out much more. Then they reveal it to banks, insurance companies, governments, and of course, advertisers.

we are not disagreeing. when i still lived in norway i was only using steam to talk to drug dealers. i'm not that paranoid now as i've had friends working for facebook and they are not as good at it as you fear, yet. they pick up keywords and use statistics to make a profile of you. you sign away your right to whatever you put on facebook when you make an account, i feel people shouldn't be surprised.

good stuff about the whatsapp, i was not knowing. 

• On the "providing content" thing, soliciting mixes from old & new heads for the main site front page! The mix archive is one of the best things about the site. I'd love to see new ones cropping up.
    dukeofdelridgekicks79

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    FMGvinyl said:
    Nowonder Julia Roberts fell for this ugly cocksucker,,,  This shit is genius

Three plays later and I'm thinking I almost cracked it. Is it a Money For Nothin overheard lyrics situation--the result of some Google Adwords gone haywire? Coded language where the pony is a well-regulated lefty militia and the boat means we botnet attack through a security hole in the port's payroll system? Because this song is deep and layered and you put it in this thraed and I can fully tell its flittering weakness hides a serious social message I mean this is the first of the good music from Trump as President of USA so boom I got it one more listen I'll figure it out...

so so then I google and yeah, no, it's from 1988 and there's a bunch of bloggermans getting deep on the lyrics but the explanation that makes the most sense is on Rolling Stone dot com where Mr Lovett says he once rode a horse across a frozen pond and he'd wished he had a boat. 

Struttin in the AM. 4:27 to be exact. 

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    I'm up to two phones. Zero chill. I enjoy the quickening pace of modern life. I can see that it's beginning to over-take and grind down many regular people, though, who shuffle through life like zombies. I went to home depot in Fruitvale the other day right before closing to get lumber for a project and this girl who looked high and out of it rang up $90+ dollars of wood for $36 because she was too lazy to move anything around. Fine with me. Then later, near close at the Safeway, a lady sold me over $120 of groceries for $12 with a straight face. Now, as society gets more drugged up and escapist, I'm thinking of doing most of my shopping at the last possible moments with all of the most spaced cashiers to take advantage of this future fatigue. To me these are all little glitches in the matrix, signs of normal order breaking down and all kinds of possibilities breaking wide open. ZERO chill.
    Duderonomy

This thread is the Soul Strut equivalency of a "tiny house".

• Imma still checking in, with a tin foil hat on OBV. 

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    2017 has been ok so far, but the old "get off my lawn" man thing is starting to really creep in. I'm starting to get annoyed at too many small things that don't effect me in anyway. Case in point.At the mall... I'm noticing stores are starting to have people line up outside the store even though the store is pretty much empty. I'm guessing to create some sort of hype. I dislike the fact that it bothers me.

Vinyl sales are once again a billion dollar business. Anyone got a guess of how much of that is reissue sales?

• trzakhstantrzakhstan IA 198 Posts
    I am pretty sure the reissued old stuff is what is driving the whole deal.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    FMGvinyl said:
    Nowonder Julia Roberts fell for this ugly cocksucker,,,  This shit is genius

Three plays later and I'm thinking I almost cracked it. Is it a Money For Nothin overheard lyrics situation--the result of some Google Adwords gone haywire? Coded language where the pony is a well-regulated lefty militia and the boat means we botnet attack through a security hole in the port's payroll system? Because this song is deep and layered and you put it in this thraed and I can fully tell its flittering weakness hides a serious social message I mean this is the first of the good music from Trump as President of USA so boom I got it one more listen I'll figure it out...

so so then I google and yeah, no, it's from 1988 and there's a bunch of bloggermans getting deep on the lyrics but the explanation that makes the most sense is on Rolling Stone dot com where Mr Lovett says he once rode a horse across a frozen pond and he'd wished he had a boat. 

Struttin in the AM. 4:27 to be exact. 

dukeofdelridge

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

1:11am. Woke up with a start and grabbed the nearest screen, felt compelled to czech thraed. 

Who are you and how did you get this power? Is it that easy? Obvious stuff?

Just before I decided to call that uber and go to the ER, I heard "Putin. Mind control. They're rigging it." The flight path was taking the planes over the lake that night--their transponders messing with the TV reception. I'd noticed that a few months prior: when planes go over, some of my channels with weaker signals would cut out. Small planes, big planes, didn't really matter. Different than when my upstairs neighbor walks in front of his couch, or the old guy pulls his car down the driveway... The planes' interference is predictable and repeatable. It got to where I was turning the TV on when I'd hear a plane approaching, if just to watch the reception cut out. To prove it to myself. 

When the seizures were syncing up with the rabbit ears cutting out, and the voices, well that's when I said fuck it and called for help. 

I am closer.

FLEKSI. Are you here?

And was the game rigged? A tie? Really? There's never a tie!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I found a nice break at 1:47. Don't ask me how.

ppadilhaRAJketandeezleeReynaldo82kalaDuderonomypara11ax

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    waxjunky said:
    I found a nice break at 1:47. Don't ask me how.

LOL, that's fucking amazing. Who's holding?
    kala

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    damm that shit is sooooo boards of canada
    para11ax

• deezlee said:
    I check the site everyday but it's starting to feel i'ts not for new poasters. 

I'm not a new poaster, but I've never been especially prolific. From my perspective, there's an extent to which it was sort of never for new poasters on some level, or maybe I just wasn't about what it was about? 

I'm finding similar conversations on other boards and all too often I catch myself slipping into nostalgia. I remember Ozone Entertainment and then that transitioning into Def Jux - labels and messages now long gone. I remember Tommy's board and the Bully Records cats - board and label long gone. The Stones Throw board is a beat battle with extras - I don't completely know what Stones Throw is as a label these days.

I have never really been enough of a digger to be poasting about raers; never followed US sports enough to poast about that. Always loved producers and production-talk more than rappers and enjoyed hearing what others were doing, but there never seemed to be a place where production-related conversation could exist without it getting largely ignored. Maybe I just don't really get how the layout works, though.

Social media seems to have taken over where message boards used to be, except the two things aren't comparable. Controllers seem to have taken over where hardware samplers used to be, except the two things aren't comparable. MP3 seems to have taken over where vinyl used to be, except... no, wait. Urban Outfitters says "VINYLS ARE BACK!" 
    Duderonomy

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    What's up, Strut? Rock on, rock on. Anybody know where I can grab the Waxing Deep archive? I'm trying to get some Joanne Grauer back in my life.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    RAJ said:
    This thread is the Soul Strut equivalency of a "tiny house".
    It's just super exclusive is all.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Fuck I hate reissues.
    RAJ

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I think I missed all of 2017 on SS, and 2018 isn't looking super-promising. But I am here now.
    DuderonomyRAJ

waxjunky said:
    I think I missed all of 2017 on SS, and 2018 isn't looking super-promising. But I am here now.

Thanks for checking in. Soul Strut will be here waiting.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    2017 was dog muck.  You missed nothing. NOTHING!!
    billbradleyketanwaxjunky

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    Jimster said:
    2017 was dog muck.  You missed nothing. NOTHING!!

This comment didn't age well, did it? Nobody saw 2020 coming.

I stand by 2017 being a Canadian VG++ of terd years.

2020 is a fucking signed master tape of a sealed mint mis-labelled picture-disc of a terd (feat. The Ghoast of Monty Stark)

• dizzybulldizzybull Eerie Dicks 328 Posts
    “Six million ways to die, so I chose

made it six million and one with your eyes closed”

-Redman, who seems to think that “with your eyes closed” wasn’t one of the original six million choices. 
    DuderonomyJimster

I'd be asking to hear the whole list before I picked one.

I bet "Dying while someone reads out six million ways to die" isn't on there 

Duderonomy