How long could you live on £300'000?

Things globally are looking pretty bleak to me, so toying with the idea of selling up & making the most of things as they stand.

I'm thinking about keeping it real simple.

But how long would £/$300'00 last you guys?

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Buy a property, rent it, move to a cheap country and live on the beach fishing. Indefinitely?
    ketanJimster

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Buy a property, rent it, move to a cheap country and live on the beach fishing. Indefinitely?
    you get to be one of those euromang who run beach hostels and wear socks and sandals in Northeastern Brazil

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts

How simple?  In terms of location, do you want to be in an urban centre?  Do you want to be in a high income setting or could you stand living in, like, Kerala?

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    you get to be one of those euromang who run beach hostels and wear socks and sandals in Northeastern Brazil
    YOU SAY IT AS IF IT IS A BAD THING.

Baiana boa
    Gosta do samba
    Gosta da roda
    E diz que é bamba
    And such.

Duderonomy

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    300k?
    Not very long, tbh.
    Spend 20k a year, after 5 years that's 200 left.
    Interest is low.
    Inflation eats the capital away. 
    10 years, fairly frugally, tops.

• Buy a property, rent it, move to a cheap country and live on the beach fishing. Indefinitely?
    Looked into this but sounds easier than it is.

Not many country's give you an indefinite stay/visa on a modest income.

• ketan said:

How simple?  In terms of location, do you want to be in an urban centre?  Do you want to be in a high income setting or could you stand living in, like, Kerala?
    I've pretty much had it with urban centre's & high income settings.

Gonna look up Kerala

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Alcohol is frowned upon in Kerala, but most places are laissez faire about it.

skel said:
    Alcohol is frowned upon in Kerala, but most places are laissez faire about it.

Yeah, you can get by.  Also, :slow burner:

You'd have to be fully ready for life in India, though.  It's quite the culture shock (and I'm saying that as a 2nd gen Canadian Indian who has visited there a lot).  But the south of India is about the nicest place I can imagine on Earth and it's really not expensive to live there.  If you're business minded, you could really thrive.  People are really well educated and it's not that expensive to employ people on decent local terms.

You could go rent/buy a place for cheap in Kochi (a city rich in culture and hippies) or live in the farmlands. If you've got a green thumb, you could buy a small farm and turn it into a nice little business. 

We stayed at this farmhouse in the south of Karnataka (also a lovely state) and were really impressed with what Ludwig and his local partners had been doing.  http://golden-mist.net/en/resort.php  And just for reference, you could rent one of the cottages on that farm for about $300 a month (I'm guessing) - and that would theoretically include having them cook for you every night. So I'm sure you could buy your own land for something reasonable.  And there was a nice community of other farm owners in the area.  There was another couple who were originally from Guelph of all places (small Canadian city).

This other German guy went over to Kerala 40 years ago and has developed this nearly totally self-sustained botanical reserve.  It's also sort of a commune.  You can go live there for next to nothing if you work on the farm (they'll feed you and house you). http://www.gbsanctuary.org/communityatsanctuary.html   It's f'ing gorgeous there. 

The other amazing small city I stayed in was San Cristobal de las Casas.  It's like the cultural capital of Chiapas, which is the largely Indigenous Mexican state that worked with the Zapatistas to take back control over local affairs (for better and in some cases, for worse).  It's full of tourists in the winter, but there's lots of beautiful quieter parts in and around town.

Lots of great music to learn about in these spots too.

• how long could i live?   until the day i die.

how WELL could i live?    ..........  depends on how many people come along for the ride.  (non-existent wife & kids-r)

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I could make it ten years easy. Super easy. Let's do it. 

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    I could make it ten years easy. Super easy. Let's do it. 

would you manage it by LIVING IN A VAN. DOWN. BY. THE. RIVER?

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Possibly a van by a river, sure!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

LIVING IN A CARD. BOARD. BOX.

• Dude,
    out here where I now live Joshua Tree California you could buy a modest house for 20k and live pretty well for 20 years at least with the remaining 370,000+/-k

peace, stein...

Not many country's give you an indefinite stay/visa on a modest income.
    A friend of mine has lived in Bangkok on tourist visas for 20 years. There is a service - pay a dude to take your passport to the border once every 3 months and get your tourist visa renewed.

ketan said:

Gonna look up Kerala
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/29/isis-recruiters-fertile-ground-kerala-indias-tourist-gem