A Tribe Called Quest's Final Album to be released in November.

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

Comments

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    Saw this. Can't wait, but I'm not expecting gold.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Over the moon.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    para11ax said:
    Saw this. Can't wait, but I'm not expecting gold.
    Same. I'm not getting my hopes up but look forward to hearing it.
    para11ax

• Beatnick DeeBeatnick Dee beatnickdee.com 71 Posts
    Love Tribe of course. I'll keep my expectations very low though, so hopefully I'll end up really digging it.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I hope it's better than The Anonymous Nobody...
    bassie2Junior

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Although there's much reason to be pessimistic, most of the post-Tribe Q-Tip & Busta collabs (even the recent stuff) sounds fucking golden to me, so dope Native Tongues music is still possible. This could be fucking awesome. Anyone know who's handling production?

Anyone know who's handling production?
    I would hope it's largely in-house.  Tip has stayed dope as a producer.  Haven't listened to much of ASM's post-Lucy Pearl.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    I haven't been able to find any info about who is producing it in any of the various articles that have been posted so far.

Hopefully this is an indication of things to come.  Tip produced it and features.

According to the NYT article that came out today it was all recorded in QTip's basement recording studio. I was surprised to read that Elton John is making an appearance on the album also

http://www.factmag.com/2016/11/02/tribe-called-quests-new-album-features-kendrick-andre-3000-elton-john/

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    asstro said:
    I hope it's better than The Anonymous Nobody...
    Glad I'm not the only one that thought that.  I was all hyped and it was "meh".  I actually already forgot it came out and that I bought it.  (ouch)

One more day...  

B/W I've heard from a friend it delivers. They received an advanced copy earlier.
    Sobriety Won

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Don't forget to watch SNL this Saturday.

http://eachvideo.com/watch?v=5TjrmEAVLcA

para11ax

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I know this might sound douchey, but since Phife is dead, they should call it ATCQ or something. Feels like somethin to me...

• para11axpara11ax No-style-havin' mf'er 398 Posts
    I peeped a couple cuts. It's good and worth copping, but it didn't blow me away.

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    is there a non spotify or itunes stream for us who usually prefer stealing digital music?

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    I really want to like this, but feel like Im going to be dissapointed.
    Peeped the Kendrick and Andre cuts and they did nothing for me. 
    Still hopeful on hearing the whole album. 
    Anyone heard the new Common ?

I'm finding a lot to love about it.  Busta comes through a few times and the Elton John sample works.  

there are some jams on this one

foe said:
    is there a non spotify or itunes stream
    Just to listen to the tracks? Online record shops selling the LP don't even have clips.

The album is better than I expected it to be. There are some really good tracks while others that are kind of meh. Production-wise some parts seem to be thrown together. The guitar samples at the end of a couple tracks that just cut out before the next track don't work well. The transitions there sort of kill the energy. The Wonka sample plays on for too long too. The bar had been set really high by their earlier albums and in no way was I expecting that golden era sound. There has to be some sort of evolution in their sound and I hear that in this new album. It could have been tightened up a bit more in post production though.

• Reynaldo82Reynaldo82 NorCal 73 Posts
    It's a full-on instant classic. This is the kind of album that you want to go all in on right from the beginning because it's going to be so increasingly popular over time that even the early critics will be cowed and undermined. Get ready to love then hate hearing it everywhere.

Fuck. I want to listen to this damnit! Love that "We Teh People" but it's the only one I've heard so far. Brutal bass & drums, so simple but slamming.

foe said:
    is there a non spotify or itunes stream
    Just to listen to the tracks? Online record shops selling the LP don't even have clips.
    one of these links worked for me:
    https://www.lumendatabase.org/notices/13351985

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The first half in particular is really strong. Compared to say, anything De La have done this century, this is shockingly good and bursting with energy. There's a refreshing lack of "old man raps at cloud" on offer here.

I also actually really like the slight haphazard rough edges, it matches the overall vibe of people all recording tracks together rather than a smoothed over collection of post production. Could do without the guitar solos but there you go,

Way better than I expected and great on its own merits rather than just because of nostalgia and tributes to Phife.

• Scuba SteveScuba Steve @steveislikewoah 40 Posts
    If you Amazon Prime its on there to stream for free

-Ive listened to it more times than the new De La... if that says anything.  Could have been 4-5 tracks lighter, and not a fan of the vocal fx, too wet in the mix & used to often.  I did listen to it every day while riding my bike last week so I obviously an digging it. 

• It's dope. It reminds me of every tribe album after the first two: it takes me a while to get over the stuff I don't like (more singing? Did they just diss weed?) but I always end up bumping it a million times till I know all the words. It's a tribe called quest album, fool!  They get to decide what's dope or wack. If you or I don't agree with them on first listen they you or I am likely incorrect and need to listen again till we get it. I riyyyde for the quest.